View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #69
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 6

Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
No it didn't. The flashbacks showed us how difficult things were for Clark, but we also saw him dealing throughout the film with people who were good and brave, like the fishing trawler, the Coast Guard, the military, the priest, Lois, and Chrissie, and even Lana and Pete had moments where they were kind. There are plenty of examples of the goodness and yes, the complexities of the human race.

Clark saved mankind not because they were always perfect, but because he saw that there were people worth saving.
Fishing trawler: 'Where the hell'd they find you, Freeborn?'
Military showed extreme prejudice until the end of the Smallville fight.
The priest was clearly scared of Clark.
Pete Ross: 'Dick wad'.

I'm not sure it was really shown how and why Clark really loved everyone. The movie painted a pretty bleak picture there. Mark Waid explains it better than me.

Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
The Clark you "know" isn't in this film, which explains all your problems. You came in with preconceived notions on how Superman should be, which tainted your viewing of the film.

Superman has made mistakes in comics. One of the most difficult examples is "The Fall of Camelot", where he is dealing with the "monster" that the scientists created. The monster tells Superman that he has to choose between the victim and the abusers (the abusers in this case were all humans). Clark beats the crap out of the 'monster' to save the humans. It was an impossible choice for Superman to face. I liken that moment very much to what happened in MOS, only it's worse for Superman, because it's more personal, and he's a child, with absolutely zero experience to rely on.

Clark hesitates one moment too long while he wrestles the instinct to obey his father's wishes, or the instinct to save his dad. He didn't just "let" his father die. He wasn't standing there just watching. He was indecisive, kept moving as he tried to figure out what to do. He was a scared child, with the weight of a difficult decision riding on his shoulders. There was no right decision in that moment, only a difficult one. It's why the scene is so painful.

Quick edit for disclaimer: I can't remember for sure if that comic is "Fall of Camelot", or if I have the entire situation correct. It's been ages since I read it. :-)
Good points. That's the real debate though. How far can you push something from it's source before it becomes something else. Snyder definitely pushed. Superman who before had a happy healthy upbringing with the love of his adopted parents, who taught him to reciprocate that love towards everyone else and make the world a better place. To MOS where he has a closeted upbringing, lived in fear of exposing himself as well as the bottled up angst of letting his father die for this reason, and is generally treated poorly by everyone around him, is given his 'purpose' from Jor-El, and is now a murderer. That is the new Superman.