View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #262
JackWhite
Third Man

Default Re: Anne Hathaway vs Michelle Pfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think Goyer made a comment on the TDKR Blu-ray extras about how Nolan kind of made a face or something when Goyer initially brought up Bane, but my guess is that was some of the residual effect of B&R and Nolan not being too up to date on the comics version of Bane. I don't think Nolan had a specific idea for which villain he wanted to use, so it was always going to be a matter of just educating and convincing him. He told Goyer that he wanted a physical villain this time around, but pretty much left it up to him to figure out who the best candidates would be.

In the case of Catwoman, it was different because he was more aware of her and wasn't sure if she'd be able to work in the world he'd established. I think more than anything Nolan just didn't want it to feel like he was tacking on characters due to their popularity and wanted to make sure the story was flowing as organically as possible.
I never understood why Nolan felt Catwoman wouldn't naturally work in his Gotham. She's a cat-burglar with a shade of grey when you break her down to the lowest common denominator. And on top of that, she's one of the more grounded "freak" villains. Also, if you look at how every comicbook film just has to have a love interest, adding Selina Kyle is natural because she is a legit villain from the source material and presents a lot of juicy material and character interactions with Bruce/Batman.

I'm grateful Jonah was able to convince Chris to put her in the film.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote