View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #100
ck1777
Side-Kick

Default Re: New Origin = Opposite of Donner's

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
You know, for all the punishment you seem to have taken in this thread, you're the only one who understands how somethings work.

I roll my eyes when fans here constantly talk about wanting a modern superman, and then bash donner....because modern superman IS basically a mix of donner and a little post crisis. What they actually want is an outdated version of Superman from the 80's and 90's.

And that's funny...because these same fans will rag on singer for wanting donners superman.

Having STAS/Byrne superman is just as wrong for a film as having Donner Superman. They've both been done, and i dont give a damn if STAS was only a cartoon.
Yeah, the truth is Byrne's Superman is very dated. It's not a coincidence that Michael Douglas in Wall Street was one of the most important villains of the 80's.

That being said it doesn't mean Billionaire Lex doesn't work today. In fact if we do get a reboot, I'm pretty positive he'll be closer to Post-Crisis than Pre-Crisis.

But people need to realize that this isn't anything new to the WB. They KNOW WHAT POST CRISIS SUPERMAN IS! Obviously the concept isn't different enough for them. They won't spend $200 million dollars for a Post-Crisis movie, and yet they've made Lois and Clark, and Smallville (which has a lot of Post-Crisis elements) because they're cheap tv shows. A film is a much much bigger gamble.

Also, they didn't greenlight SR because of the Donner influences. They greenlit it for all the things that people hated about it (colors, kid, depressing, etc.). They never showed any interest in continuing S:TM until Bryan Singer came along. Singer basically told them how much he loved S:TM, at the same time he pitched them what THEY WANTED TO HEAR (colors, kid, depressing, etc.).

So to sum up:

1)The WB knows about Post-Crisis Superman
2)Marv Wolfman (co-creator of CEO LEX) is working with the film division.
3)Geoff Johns (who's writing CEO LEX in SO) works with the film division.
4)If they want a Post-Crisis Superman movie they'll make it!
5)History has shown that WB doesn't see enough difference between PRE/POST CRISIS
6)WB always tends to be attracted to drastic changes to Superman

ck1777 is offline   Reply With Quote