View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #72
Johnny Blaze
Freethinker

Default Re: Ultimate One Universe RPG: IC Thread

With Great Power...
Part 12

Peter is sitting on his couch in his apartment next to Gwen as she patches up his cut chest.
The TV is on in the background, running the local news. The story running is about the appearance of a "super man" in Metropolis today that saved millions of lives.

"And a machine did this to you?"

"Big machine"
, Peter says with a wince as Gwen dabs ointment on the wounds.

"Uh-huh..."

"I swear, baby...damn thing fell on me. I stepped out of the way, but the sharp edge caught me."

"Ooookay. Now, hold still you pansy, so I can finish patching you up...I swear to God, you're an even bigger girl than I am sometimes."

"Wait a sec"
, Peter ignored Gwen and sat up, grabbing the remote and turning up the volume.

-back to the story in Metropolis in a minute...an explosion shook Queens last night as the old WayneTech plant went out with a bang. As you can see from the aerial view there, the plant is completely gone...Rescue workers and police are still sifting through the rubble, but reports indicate that no bodies have been found, so that's good news at least. Investigation into the cause of the explosion is still ongoing...

No bodies...that means Jackal is still out there. And he knows who I am...what I've become. He knows just how to hurt me if he really wanted to.

Peter looks at Gwen as these thoughts go racing through his mind, and he can help but look a little tense.

"Baby, you are too stressed. You need to unwind."

"Sorry, Gwen", Peter sighed.
"Don't know if I could unwind right now if I wanted too."

"Nonsense", Gwen smiled mischievously, "you're just need some proper motivation is all..."

"Heh-hey...all right", Peter smiled and wrapped his arms around Gwen's waist, pulling her in close for a kiss...

-------------------------------------------

Peter took a sip of the beer he had been nursing for the past thirty minutes. It wasn't hot yet, but it definitely was warm. And there was nothing like a warm Miller Lite.

It was ten-thirty at night at the Parker residence. Aunt May was asleep upstairs and Peter and Ben sat in the kitchen at the table having a beer.

"Of course he will", Uncle Ben yells at Peter from across the table.
"Why the hell would they have made the trade in the first place if they weren't going to start him?"

"To finally get some good PR and sell some jerseys and tickets. They'd be stupid to start him."

"And you think Sanchez is the answer?"

"No", Peter states as he takes a swig of his beer, "but neither is Timmy of Nazareth."

"Oi-vey, there's just no getting through to you...", Uncle Ben shook his head.
"We'll see by week eight."

"We most certainly will."

Both shared a quick chuckle and took a drink from their beers, a comfortable silence falling on the scene.

"So, Peter...you ever come a decision to your problem?"

"I have Uncle Ben"
, Peter said as he straightened his posture in his chair and placed the warm beer on the table.

"You were right...what I've been given is an opportunity. A chance to own up to the responsibility of that comes with it and to use it to help those in need."

Ben was happy for Peter and with his choice, and it showed.
"Good for you, son. I'm proud of you."

Ben smiled and raised his beer.
"Here's to you, Pete...to moving on up in the world...just don't let it get to your head now."

Peter smiled and laughed, "I think I can manage that."

Peter and Ben clanked glasses and toasted finishing their beers which Ben promptly replaced.