View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #200
Mike22
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
The thing is, Cavill will obviously play a very different Superman to Reeve. More stoic, introspective and depressed/angry. Reeve's jovial, charming and relaxed character is the kind that endears more to people. Cavill has shown a similar kind of relaxed charm and quality in a lot of his previous roles, but I doubt this will be used in MOS and that's a disadvantaged already when comparing him to Reeve. Plus we've had a lot of great performances in superhero movies since Reeve so it's not as easy to come in and do something that makes as big a mark as Reeve did back then. Almost impossible, IMO.
Agreed, but as far as Superman is concerned, Cavill is now and always will be compared to the guy that most people to this days still see as the definitive Superman. It's true that there are a lot of new players in this game that have left their mark, but truly, none of those characters portrayed in these past years can claim be the first and original Superhero and arguably the most powerful and most recognizable, and for that reason alone the part of Superman will A-L-W-A-Y-S be given special attention, for better or worse.
The actor will be over-analyzed and compared and criticized for things that would turn off most actors for even giving a second look at the part, so at least for me, Cavill gets a lot of respect for even daring to accept such a risky part, not to mention his dedication to his physique and research of the character.
What I'm trying to get is that Cavill will receive a lot more attention/criticism than any of these other guys playing Superheros due to the legacy of Superman on and off screen, so a mere comment from someone about him being replaceable doesn't really hold much value in my eyes. In a movie this big about a character this big, the best thing to do is wait and see for oneself.