View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #579
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
There's no onus on the film, it's not a crime procedural and not a political movie about lawmaking.
I'm not asking for two and a half hours of explanation about the Dent Act. I'm asking for a couple of lines of explanations as to how it managed to turn Gotham into a crime free utopia. Nolan, the master of exposition, should have jumped at the chance at such a thing.

Quote:
These films have danced around other genres but they are superhero movies at heart. It's plot a device that sets up the basic premise for the Batman movie at hand. No matter how much window dressing you were to put on it it's still a plot device, and even if Nolan were to explain how it worked in depth in the movie, it wouldn't change the fact that it's a plot device and I don't think it would change the fact that you and others don't like it as a plot device.
Exactly. So why are you trying to constantly defend such a flimsy plot device as though you can justify it as something clever and rational when you're admitting here it is not.

Nolan has bent the laws before in the previous two movies, but at least he gave some kind of explanation as to how it worked in the context of his Batman world, even if it was not entirely realistic, he at least afforded his audience some kind of explanation and information.

Why was such a major thing like the Dent Act, which cleaned up the city and made Batman redundant, not given any elaboration on how it worked other than telling us that it denies parole for convicted criminals?

Bad writing is why.

Quote:
TDK set the precedent for the mob making themselves uncharacteristically vulnerable, TDKR followed up on that and put them out of business in Gotham.
TDK explained why they were so vulnerable. Batman had taken a big bite out of crime. He put Falcone away. He attacked their informers and squeezed info out of them. They also had a new D.A. who could not be bribed or scared off cracking down on them. Then Batman nabbed their mob accountant from Hong Kong and delivered him back to Dent to wrangle info out of him to use against them.

As Alfred so notable pointed out; "You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation"

So them being vulnerable and turning to a crazy loose cannon like the Joker for help made sense, and we saw and heard how they got into such a desperate state.

Did we see how Gotham became such a crime free city? Or learned how it happened? No. All we're told is that's just the way it is.

Quote:
We never see Bruce stop to sit on the can in any of these movies, doesn't mean we're supposed to assume he never goes to the bathroom.
Bruce's bathroom habits are not a point of confusion in these movies.

Quote:
Likewise, just because denial of parole is the only specific mentioned (which makes sense, as it directly relates to a specific loose end of TDK), it doesn't mean we aren't supposed to infer that it was an extreme measure, because obviously...the results were extreme.
That's not how it works. If you introduce an idea or plot device that has such major repercussions, then you expect the movie to offer some insights on how this works. BB and TDK did. TDKR just went completely lazy in it's writing.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote