View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #581
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Exactly. So why are you trying to constantly defend such a flimsy plot device as though you can justify it as something clever and rational when you're admitting here it is not.
The same reason you're trying to cite it as a point of criticism: we have different feelings about the results. I liked the result, whereas you didn't. I liked seeing a different Gotham 8 years later and I liked seeing Bruce come out of retirement, I liked that this movie felt fresh and didn't deal with the mob again. I enjoyed the Dark Knight Returns elements. One or two lines of explanation isn't make or break for me when it's as simple as using a bit of imagination. What I liked about it all was there were a lot of balls in the air when the movie started, and this keeps me as a viewer on my toes. It wasn't necessarily what you'd expect following up from TDK, and I liked that.

Calling it a plot device doesn't mean I think it's bad. It just is what it is, all 3 movies have plenty of them. I never said it was particularly clever, in fact I had a feeling the mob would be a non-factor in this movie so it didn't really surprise me. I just think it's common sense to assume there's more to it than we're shown, and I think people are being intentionally difficult and narrow about this point because discrediting the premise of the movie= knocking it down several pegs. And I feel a lot of it ultimately comes down to the Batman retirement issue. Would we really be splitting this many hairs over the Dent Act if Batman had still been in action at the start of the film? Somehow I doubt it. That's why I'm arguing.

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 10-16-2012 at 12:02 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote