View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #746
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Agreed. That is the crux of my point to DACrowe. It didn't go anywhere interesting so I don't get why it's supposed to be some kind of great ground breaking writing. At least the one in Begins served a purpose without being needlessly dragged out for a whole load of nothing but filler while Bruce recovered.
I agree that it should have been fleshed out more. I wish the movie was just 10-20 minutes longer so that we could have spent a lot more time in Bane's Gotham. Seen more of his "revolution" and perhaps have a scene of Bruce returning to it (thus making it less jarring) and having a reaction to it.

Even so, I think it works. You seem to view it as a total failure. I do not. I think even if it could have been elaborated on more, seeing Bane destroy civilization is the main thing, besides Hathaway's terrific Catwoman, that makes the movie stand out.

I guess it worked for me. If you view the bomb solely as serving the purpose for the hero to stop, then I agree BB did it better because it was shorter. But the problem with "doomsday machine" plots is that you always know the hero is going to stop them. Therefore there is absolutely no tension in finales like Spider-Man 2 or Batman Begins. In both those movies, the real climax was the train fight/MJ finding out and Bruce getting Rachel the antidote and his house burning down, respectively. In TDKR, they at least succeed in getting most of the audience to believe the hero could and did die at the end--I regret I figured out Batman would live with Catwoman when we see Alfred's Florence fantasy in the first 30 minutes--but at least it yielded for me an interesting storyline never done before.

If the story doesn't work for you, I see why you hate the bomb. But to me the bomb is the macguffin instead of the point, so agree to disagree.

--John Adams