View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #340
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Default Re: The official X-men First Class BD/DVD thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post

Lol, wouldn't we all?

I agree, but I also understand why they tried it - an angrier/stressed out version of Charles.

I guess it's something that came from James himself. He says that whenever he plays a character, even a "good man" type of character, he likes to give said character an edge. Because he says it's impossible for a person to be entirely good and perfect. But when he tried doing it while playing Robbie in Atonement, Joe Wright told him "Look, he's just a good guy, so forget about it. Play him like a good guy". But even so James managed to give Robbie some kind of edge, when Robbie goes mad and barks at Briony after saving her from her faked drowing - which some people thought was out-of-character for Robbie to do, btw.

I think he tried it again with Charles, to give him this edge, but it went too far - the scene didn't look good. Like I said, I understand Charles being kind of frustrated while training Alex, and he was dealing with a new - and certainly stressful - situation in his life, but he sounded and acted too pissed off, even scary, and was certainly totally out-of-character for Charles. The idea for the scene was good, not the development.

I loved it, I laughed too much! James has a wonderful comedy timing, which is quite interesting because he almost only plays tragic characters. I guess it just comes naturally to him, because of his fun-loving personality. It's a pity that the scene was cut, because it's quite rare to see the funny side of his characters on screen.
I agree Charles could have kept the edge but I think he could have just snapped at Alex to get the fire extinguisher and left it at that. Yelling at him for not being in control of his powers when the whole point of the exercise was to learn to control his powers was.. stupid. Leave Charles' edge to the sequel, where we will hopefully get to see him walk through fire and lose his **** at some point.

The more times I've seen the first M/C scene the less I like it. I still like the bit before it where Erik and Charles are both sneaking around and Charles' gratuitous show-offy use of his powers with Abracadabra but the rest is just... so darn awkward! He seems too desperate, too fast. I've read a couple mini-articles that suggest McAvoy is playing Charles as a closeted gay guy in this scene and while I don't really agree I very much understand why they came to that conclusion. A friend of mine in university was certainly gay but so deep in denial. When he was hitting on a mutual (girl)friend, he came off very much like Charles did in this scene, rushed and awkward and trying to get right to it like she was his last attempt at a hetero lifestyle (and in the end she was, he came out a few days after she shot him down).
Again, I don't consider Charles to be gay. But this scene just feels less and less romantic to me and more desperate every time I watch it. It could be that Charles is just incredibly, indiscriminately horny here.

On a side note, I'm curious to know what Moira was thinking at him to make him retreat so hastily without any argument whatsoever. She already told him no and I think had he just read "No is NO." in her mind he would have retreated simply disappointed and possibly self-assured that she would eventually come around. But he seems more shocked/uncomfortable than anything.

Still mad she gave up her convictions for that kiss though. This scene was pretty much the only one in the movie where she had any kind of authority over someone.

Last edited by blueserenity; 09-01-2011 at 11:27 AM.
blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote