View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #41
BestGirl
Chillin' on Dragonstone

Default Re: Things That Would Get You Interested In This Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
I think getting powers from cosmic rays AND having a very very rare racial familial occurrence where neither sibling looks racially ambiguous might be too much suspension of disbelief for the audience. Lol. At least you're convinced that one of Johnny/Sue's parents will be black, I'm not convinced they'd change anyone else's race but Johnny's.

Because most people don't have powers in real life, they can buy whatever background you're going to give them for how the powers came to be because there aren't an abundance of them in real life. People have brothers and sisters and children in real life and 99% of the time they look similar or at the very least ambiguous, people have those real life examples that they see in their everyday life and other's everyday lives to draw from.

Siblings like the ones you've posted are so rare they're nearly unheard of and that's why the concept is met with such skepticism, i.e., not even in the real of thought when you say "brother and sister" or "siblings".

White Johnny and white Sue or black Johnny and black Sue. Either is more believable than having Jordan and Mara who look like polar opposites be related. Sure there are siblings who look like they're different ethnicities in real life but WHY do this with FF? Is there some reason why this has to be done other than catering to Josh Frank's friend? Did the old relationship not work/was it stale or disliked? I don't get it.
Fine. So make one, or both, be adopted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
In the real world? No, adopted families can and usually are as loving as biological ones if not more so. In movie world? Familial relationships that aren't blood are viewed as weaker, not to mention it complicates a relationship that doesn't need it.
There's no need for their relationship to be complicated. Whichever Storm was adopted (maybe both were) was adopted a long time ago. They've had plenty of time to get used to the idea.

It doesn't matter how other films have portrayed adoption, anyway. There's no rule that this film must do the same.

Really, I think you guys are making this situation much more complicated than it needs to be. I suspect the audience will be more accepting about this than many of the posters here.

Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters. - Greg Rucka
BestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote