View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #140
Zorex
I'm 100% 50/50

Default Re: Amy Adams is Lois Lane: - Part 8

Hopefully others appreciate this. I recently remembered a Superman comic (80-Page Giant vol 1, #2, June 1999) that had a nice story called "From Krypton with Love," which was a Lois-POV rumination on her and Clark's relationship. Written by Mark Millar, it has this great page that, I think, is a wonderful summation of the "why" of Lois's love for Superman.

Quote:
If I'm honest with myself, I'll admit I wasn't a very nice person before he came along and proved it was possible to be infatuated with something outside of my career. I'd always dated rich, powerful men, but even the best of them seemed more like rivals and all I was really interested in was proving I was smarter than they were, anyway.

Superman never provoked that kind of tomboy behavior. This was my first genuinely adult relationship, based on the altogether alien concept of mutual respect.

You might think a childhood squandered in army bases and a mostly-absent dad might mean I was looking for an all-protecting father-figure, but you couldn't be more wrong. I didn't see a superhero as the patriarchal answer to all my problems, as some feminist authors might suggest...

...I just finally found a man who could keep up with me.
It's really the last line that speaks to me, and, I feel, gets the essence their classic love story. Personally, I'm hoping the writers & Amy feel the same and have approached Lois and her feelings toward Superman in a similar way.