View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #454
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Goyer Admits They Didn't Plan How 'Reporter Clark Kent' Could Make Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Oh, so a predominantly serious movie can't have ANY lighthearted or goofy moments? A movie that strives for a "real world" tone can't have anything that requires the audience to suspend disbelief a bit? Got it.

Funny, I thought suspension of disbelief is somewhat mandatory when watching A MOVIE ABOUT A MAN WHO CAN F**KING FLY.
Whoa there, let's talk about what I actually said.

I said MOS had funny moments, I said it was not whimsical. I said nothing about suspension of disbelief.

But since you want that: suspending disbelief is done in every film, but most films strive for some sort of versimilitude to the real world or "realism," therefore, they do not give a middle finger to realism, because they incorporate as much real life into their story as possible. This is part of what gives the story it's emotional power. This is often called "world building." It is the skill storytellers use to guide the audience emotionally from their world into the world of the story and keep them there. You can always spot world building when storytellers give somewhat plausible explanations to things that would never happen in real life.

Case in point: Superman doesn't have powers because **** realism it's a superhero film. He has powers because his body functions normally on lower levels of solar energy in a higher gravity field. Would never happen, but you have sated all but the physicists desire to have their world connect with the world of the story.

If "F*** realism" were an optimal way to achieve suspension of disbelief, this explanation would not exist, much less be repeated and popular.

Realism is so very important for the suspension of disbelief, that if something in a story doesn't make sense, it's called a plot hole. Who ever says "the audience failed to suspend their disbelief enough to enjoy the film?" Rather, people say "This part didn't make any sense, the movie is bad."

This effect happens often in movies that say F*** realism and do not do their world building job in inviting the audience to suspend disbelief. X-Men Wolverine Origins. Green Lantern. Elektra. It's not a coincidence that screenwriters who can't be bothered to invite the audience to suspend their disbelief properly can't write good dialogue or story either.

So I agree with your final idea, suspension of disbelief is mandatory. The issue is, that the burden to create a bridge to suspend that disbelief is on the storyteller, not the audience. It always has been for every successful film.

This is why the glasses as implemented in MOS, are a failure in world building, and do not help support the suspension of disbelief. A skilled screenwriter will address the dual identity in a way that is realistic, and not make the proven mistake of expecting the audience to simply accept something that is not realistic with no explanation in a film that goes out of its way to explain everything else that's unrealistic.

The slouching trick works in comics when you can draw the characters dramatically differently but still have them interact in normal natural ways. In real life, there needs to be a reason why a room full of reporters never figures out that the guy they're covering and the guy covering the guy they're covering are the same guy. Especially in light of what the world knows about Superman already... that is: he knows with Lois Lane.

Skip all the who saw what aliens where and did the policemen hear Lois say "Clark" to Superman. Everyone on the planet knows Superman knows Lois Lane, so if someone's looking for Superman, who's known associates do they start with.

It's really bad guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
I didn't think Goyer included any character development.

Also, those movies were the 90's so not nearly as dated.
That's not fair. He did have character development. Clark became Superman, in so many words. That was an arc.

90s it is though, yeah. It's like, as soon as I realize the 90s weren't ten years ago I think they're the 80s. Headspace is a trip.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote