View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #92
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

Default Re: GOTHAM CITY Design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
hahaha that's the exact opposite of what most fans think of Nolan's Gotham.

The Narrows were the only part of Nolan's Gotham that even made an attempt at being anything like the Gotham of the comics.

I think this time around, Gotham needs to look way more unique than it did in TDKT. If Gotham just looks like any other city, it takes away from the concept. Gotham was developed as a fictional city, it should be treated as such. You can get away with things looking a bit crazier than they do in real life, because Gotham isn't a real city.
I know what you mean, but for me personally (don't care that it may not be what "most fans" think, which I also doubt, but whatever) its distracting when the world looks too fake.
Take the Gotham from the Arkham verse for example. I like the look of Arkham City very much, but found the Gotham you see in Origins too far removed from a real city. All those giant pipes and giant chains that serve no real purpose, apart from making it look "comicbooky". Most of those pipes, especially near the waterfront, leak a bright and shiny green ooze. Thats just too much removed from the real world which has been established in MoS.

I give you the need for more blimps. I would love that, but thats exactly what I proposed a page ago. Shoot in a real city and add some stuff for effect, like add to the skyline, add police blimps, make the weather look a bit weird, some skyscrapers taller etc.
That I would love since it would find a middleground between a real tangible city and a visually stylized approach. I don't want a retread of Nolans Gotham, but I also don't want to go back to a Gotham thats too far removed from reality.