View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #359
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Where does most of TDK's critisism come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
My fanboyish criticism of Nolan's The Dark Knight was when Bruce talked about a time when "the city would no longer need Batman". Batman doesn't believe Batman will never be needed. Neil Gaiman summed up Batman perfectly for me: "Even if there never was a Batman, I am Batman. Even if all the evil I fought was a lie, it doesn't matter, I keep fighting".
That was established in Begins, when Bruce saw his mission as being finite.

Alfred: 'Are you coming back to Gotham for long sir?'
Bruce: 'As long as it takes. I'm going to show the people of Gotham that their city doesn't belong to the criminals and the corrupt. People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy'

Bruce thought he could come along, take down the mob, and then Gotham would pick itself up, and he could hang up the cape and be done. It's where Rachel's whole promise of when he's done being Batman and then they can be together came from.

TDK established that he would always be Batman, and his idea of being able to give it up was fool hardy. Especially with villains like the Joker surfacing.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote