View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #363
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
Default Re: Where does most of TDK's critisism come from?

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Batman is just f***ing single minded and borderline fascist, he doesn't believe there is an end to his mission from day one because that vision of his parents dying will be etched forever into his brain. IMO Batman is perpetually 10 in some respects, because he's acting out a rather childish fantasy, and that's all it is, "a fantasy". Crime would exist with or without him, but he feels the world won't be rid of it unless he eradicates it personally. That's a delusional mentality, not an attainable goal, but that is, after all, what makes him so dangerous.
We must be reading two different Batmans. Batman never ever believed he could eradicate all crime. He knows it's a constant battle. Even BTAS addressed this, in the episode, I am the Night.

Batman is jaded by being Batman. He thinks the constant battling against crime he's doing is not doing any long term good. It just goes on and on. Then he's late to a drug bust, Jim Gordon gets shot, and he blames himself for not being there, and he quits being Batman.

He'd dedicated to his mission, but he's under no illusions that he can one day get rid of crime forever. That's a realization he comes to in TDK, which you must remember is still set in Batman's early days. He's been Batman for less than a year. He's still on a learning curve.

"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-04-2011 at 02:46 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote