View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #136
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: Batman Begins Best Origin Movie ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I'm very sorry???

An innocent person was in danger, Dr. Banner would turn into Hulk, Hulk would save that person. Is that any non-superheroic?

Even in the pilot, where Hulk is basically the monster ruining Banner's life, he tends to do the "right thing," only it is not underlined for us.

Yeah, as you say, STM did it big scale. And that's precisely what I'm saying here: serious approach had been done already.
Yeah but just serous isn't really the point though. And again I think that was too serious even though it was 'ahead of its time' in a way. Not enough fun, if you will....it's not just about being serious. Whereas Superman very much embraced the fun of being the hero of comic strips, etc. but presented as popular hollywood film. Hulk was very depressing, whereas something like Six Million Dollar Man at least had a bit more fun to it. I kind of liken the Hulk TV show to the original Godzilla movie...which in a lot of ways wasn't really a monster movie...even if technically it had a giant reptile that breathed fire and all. Not that later Godzilla movies were sophisticated works of art.

But in general, we saw a rebirth in the big adventure film in the mid-to-late 70's, so STM came around at the right time, and thanfully was treated by Donner & crew like a serious big production that had to stand on its own feet and not just get by on the kid appeal. It's still remarkable how well they hit all the right marks from the get-go.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 01-25-2012 at 01:37 AM.
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote