View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #137
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: Batman Begins Best Origin Movie ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I like your points, Kal, but at the same time, I don't see how you can say it wasn't 'kided down" with all of the campiness and pointless illogicality inherent in most of the film.

Look, it had great things about it - the plot structure, the epic scope, Superman's origin being done pitch-perfectly - but at the same time, I don't think you can at all say it's a film that still holds up to a modern, mature audience.
Y'know...I think the campiness is more 'childish' in retrospect than it was for its day, in terms of a knock on the film. I'm not saying it was considered high-concept humor, but I think that maintaining some of that campiness in a more sophisticated cinematic package is where they were really breaking new ground. And I said that it still holds up in terms of pointing to how much they got right as a mold for the future, but again...by todays standards of course we'll find some things worth snickering over. For the time, they took a lot of bold steps...and you can still appreciate and draw influence from that today.

In a lot of ways, it's like saying that Walter Johnson or Satchel Paige couldn't have the kinds of numbers in today's baseball game...that baserunners would make mincemeat out of their motions in terms of stealing bases, or that even mediocre hitters today could turn on their fastballs and do more with a more live ball. That's not really the point in gauging them as all-time greats, and why their achievements stand up today as impressive, because we can still appreciate how much they stood out at the time.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 01-25-2012 at 01:39 AM.
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote