Thread: Hank Pym?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #253
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: Hank Pym?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
So there's never been a movie with more than six main characters? I'm not trying to fight with you but I don't agree with this argument AT ALL. If other Avengers have to have slightly reduced screen time, so be it. I mean it's not like they have solo movies or anything.
Not all of them do.

And, again, it's not just about screen time: Most of the audience doesn't know Hank Pym. If they put Tony or Bruce, someone they already know in that role, it will be much more effective, effective in the same way it was effective in the comics, than a new face.

Quote:
You may not feel that Pym is essential. That's fine but it's in direct contradiction to all the source material and history. The fact that replacing Pym is a huge derivation from comic history cannot be debated.
I'm not debating that. No one's debating that. At least no one smart.

What I'm debating is wether or not that matters. I don't think it does. It's adapting a story from one heavily serialized medium where stories are told over the course of several years to another where you have to tell everything in 1 /12-2 1/2 hour chunks and they all have to be at least a little stand alone. Things get changed, and sometimes it's absolutely necessary for things to get changed. Sometimes a more faithful adaptation makes a worse movie because of the constraints of the medium. That's the other thing I'm debating. It's entirely possible that this is a change that needed to be made. And that doesn't bother me.

Quote:
And I know this is a movie not a comic. However, Whedon himself has stressed the importance of being true to the source material while promoting the first Avengers. At least until it was until things became "overcomplicated" and a little challenging...
He's stressed the importance of being faithful to the spirit of the source material. He's also stressed the importance of changing the details if that makes the story better as long as you stay faithful to the spirit of the source material.

I mean, the first movie already had plenty of changed to the source material. But they were changes that needed to be made to make it a good movie. That's not saying there's anything wrong with how it originally was, that's just saying that it wouldn't make for a good movie due to the constraints of the medium.

I mean, the movie, and I'm not talking about Avengers lore or the Marvel Universe in general, I'm just talking about the movie... the movie may actually be better without Hank Pym because it makes the story of that movie flow better and makes it more engaging for the audience by using characters they're already familiar with. That doesn't seem possible to you?

The Question is offline   Reply With Quote