View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #240
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Any other hardcore Spidey fans disturbed by the idea that Spidey might be beaten critically in 2014 by another Marvel property? I kinda am.

2014 is an all Marvel competition - Spidey, X-Men, Captain America, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Nothing from DC or anyone else. Since Spidey is Marvel's #1 character and the only character they have that is able to rival guys like Batman and Superman in iconic image, I think it will be pretty embarrassing for him if he doesn't have the best comic book movie of 2014 when it is an all Marvel competition. I may sound like a fanboy but any of the 3 other Marvel movies beating Spidey either financially or critically will make Spidey look bad IMO.

I'm not too worried about Spidey financially but I am worried about him critically. I think Days of Future Past has a chance of beating Spidey in that department. Based on most of the stuff I heard, it sounds like the most ambitious X-Men movie to date. You have the Sentinels and you have people like Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, and Hugh Jackman coming back. I fear it may give TASM 2 some competition (not too worried about Cap or the Guardians though).
I don't think this is something to really worry about. Even if Spider-Man is beaten critically by X-Men: Days of Future Past, I wouldn't consider it an embarrassment, and it certainly wouldn't make Spider-Man look "bad" either. Not every Spider-Man film is going to be amazing. James Bond had some clunkers along the way, but that never hurt him. This is going to be only one of many more Spider-Man movies to come.

As long as the movies are good, then its fine. So if TASM2 gets an 80% on RT for example, but X-Men: DOFP gets 90%... does it really matter?

For all we know, TASM2 will beat DOFP, which could turn out to be a huge mess. Singer made X-Men and X2... while I think they are fantastic, there is also something very dull about them. Something was missing, and I can't put my finger on it. Let's also not forget how he was responsible for Superman Returns as well (gee, that was a success). For all we know, DOFP can be another X-Men film with way too many characters, and a poorly written script. Actually, too many characters is a huge concern for me and this movie, but I'm hoping for the best.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 02-19-2013 at 01:58 AM.