View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #388
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: The Leaks and Spoilers discussion (*MAJOR SPOILER WARNING*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Benjen hasnt appeared in the books since chapter 19 of book one. Despite what people seem to think, Benjen isnt Coldhands in the book.

There's a copy of the original manuscript for A Dance With Dragons at the Texas A&M Cushing Memorial Library, complete with notes from Martin's editors. In it is a note from George telling his editor that Coldhands isnt Benjen.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I know that, but while I won't delve into speculation (which it still is) the relevant comparison to the show is always Coldhands since that's who Benjen was in the show so the matter of how the character in question was used of course lies there. The essence isn't Benjen, as that didn't play any role, it's just the half undead character beyond the wall that has saved people and even as that he wasn't used much in the show.

When the books catch up and possibly give Benjen a role of importance then the comparison will be different. I do of course realize that I could have been clearer with the wording as I just assumed understanding.

Last edited by Mjölnir; 09-08-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote