View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Default Re: ADI Goblin Make up test what Green Goblin was gonna look like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
They didn't go with the expressive mask for the same reason as the mech webshooters- they felt it would be too hard to explain its existance. And yes, the overall design of the Goblin suit they at first wanted to use would've been too expensive.

I understand the latter argument, but not the former. As Iron Man and so many films since have shown, if the audience likes what they see, the improbability of it doesn't matter. Again, we're talking about a story with a guy being able to climb walls after a spider-bite.

This mask would've worked perfectly and added dimensions to the character. There'd be no reson to worry about it looking cheesy- we're only seeing tests with poor lighting and camera angles. The only thing I think they should've worked on was the eyes.
I'm not saying that they were right, but I do see where they were coming from.

Things like Spider-Man & Green Goblin's superpowers are covered by the Anthropic Principle. They are central conceits without which, there is no story, so the audience is automatically expected to suspend their disbelief. Mechanical webshooters and an expressive mask, on the other hand, have nothing to do with these conceits, and perhaps might not be covered under that principle. On the other hand, this didn't stop Spider-Man and Green Goblin from wearing elaborate costumes without justification.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote