View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #292
Keyser Sushi
Squirrel Baffle

Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooklyn View Post
Joker has had a few bad turns over the years, but I certainly think he's much better off now than when he first started. Joker now, IS how pretty much everyone sees Joker as.
Of course that's how people see Joker now, but you have to realize a couple of things. The first is that Nolan and Ledger cannot repeat what Nicholson did. That would be pointless. They need to handle the character differently. So that's one thing.

Another thing is something I like to call character development. If Joker is a static character, where's the story? He needs to evolve over the course of the story. He and Batman must have an effect on each other. Hell, even in Batman '89, Nicholson's Joker got nuttier as Batman continued to mess up his plans. I just think that Ledger's Joker should have a more noticeable shift. From the more calculated madman, to the full-on freakjob.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Batman being the sole reason for Joker's abstract thinking. I'd prefer to think he already went batty after his accident. I'm fine with the whole "Batman's stopped me too many times, I MUST make it my goal to kill him" type of deal. Same plan (cause havoc and maybe get a few riches along the way), but the focus has changed (get rid of Batman).
But crime *must* have a motive. Early Joker was all about things like robbery and murder. He didn't just randomly do stuff. Everything he did, he did for a reason. He's become obsessed over the years, but he did not start out that way. He started out doing these crimes that were almost like magic tricks. Which, again - even Nicholson's Joker had an element of that - the cosmetic killings. The difference is, Nicholson's Joker had no motive. Classic Joker always had one, and in my opinion, Ledger should have one to start with. It'd be fun to watch Joker degrade into the frothing freak we know.

That also, if you think about it, goes with Ledger's comment about Joker being like a car-crash that doesn't end or whatever it was he said.

BATMAN v SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is one of the greatest comic book movies ever made.

avatar by JokerGrayson (thanks to Mr. Socko)
Keyser Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote