The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 07-17-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Taiwarriorz21
Side-Kick

Default Where has Scott Summers gone?

We look back at the scene where Scott meets Jean for the first time since the disappearance...They start to talk he takes the glasses off and Jean cancels the optic blast so now Cyclops has unknowningly disarmed himself...I think that this was the replica of Jean. The real Jean was taken by Mr.Sinister and then replaced in the lake so that he could get Scott as well. We look at the scene after Jean blew Scott away...Logan and Storm find Jean knocked-out. Wait! How did she get knocked-out, Scott didnt do it and her powers didn't....SOOOO Who could have done this? She didn't even remember if she killed Scott or what happened, This is very interesting!
People let talk about this...

Taiwarriorz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
Abaddon
Watching

Default Re: Where has Scott Summers gone?

It's been talked about. No clones please.

Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
DarknessOfDeath
Trust no one...but Cobie!

He disappeared inside her x-suit....

-yawns-

Get your game on, Marvel!!
DarknessOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
S7ilver
Side-Kick

Too comic-booky for me thanks

S7ilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Easy. Jean lost control of her ability to hold back Scott's beams. For whatever reason Phoenix interferring, her getting distracted, not doing it right, etc. not important. Scott started to feel pain, and his beams returned. He blasted her at point blank range. Jean by reflex reflected the beams back at him, just like in the dam. Scott got catapulted back into the woods where he had one hell of a landing. Painful but not fatal. Jean was also knocked back from the rocky ledge and either hit her head or passed out from the shock. Since her powers are also reflected from her emotions, the sudden shock caused all those things to start hovering in the air including the water which turned into fog. And there you have it. There's about 20 different variations of this, either written up as script rewrites, discussions, fanfics, as well as a full-color comic page.

And of course Jean wouldn't remember what happened. Her brain was scrambled as it was from the shock of dying and resurrecting. what happened with scott would have been traumatic and confusing for her too.

It's also the simplest solution. No need to get Mr Sinister, Bishop, or anyone else involved. No need for time travel, magical dragons, or glowing crystals.

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.
ntcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:16 PM   #6
borinquenknight
Orion-X Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntcrawler
Easy. Jean lost control of her ability to hold back Scott's beams. For whatever reason Phoenix interferring, her getting distracted, not doing it right, etc. not important. Scott started to feel pain, and his beams returned. He blasted her at point blank range. Jean by reflex reflected the beams back at him, just like in the dam. Scott got catapulted back into the woods where he had one hell of a landing. Painful but not fatal. Jean was also knocked back from the rocky ledge and either hit her head or passed out from the shock. Since her powers are also reflected from her emotions, the sudden shock caused all those things to start hovering in the air including the water which turned into fog. And there you have it. There's about 20 different variations of this, either written up as script rewrites, discussions, fanfics, as well as a full-color comic page.

And of course Jean wouldn't remember what happened. Her brain was scrambled as it was from the shock of dying and resurrecting. what happened with scott would have been traumatic and confusing for her too.

It's also the simplest solution. No need to get Mr Sinister, Bishop, or anyone else involved. No need for time travel, magical dragons, or glowing crystals.
This would be an awesome save if it wasn't for the fact that as Jean is about to lose it you can Cykes face start to bubble. Its rather freakish looking. This is why I don't believe that they meant it to be open ended. Though if we let on to be this gulible they might actually use it pull us back into the theatres for more Xcrement.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by borinquenknight
This would be an awesome save if it wasn't for the fact that as Jean is about to lose it you can Cykes face start to bubble. Its rather freakish looking. This is why I don't believe that they meant it to be open ended. Though if we let on to be this gulible they might actually use it pull us back into the theatres for more Xcrement.
Dude, his face is not bubbling. His facial muscles are twitching, tensing like he's experiencing pain or discomfort. There really weren't any special effects here. A side effect of Jean holding back his beams like that could be pain around his temples and face. That or like I said, she got distracted. Ever pull an all-nighter for a final exam? Ever not sleep for 3 days? It feels weird, doesn't it? You can breeze through your exam but suddenly you forget the name of your favorite song, and as you drive home, you remember the name of your favorite song and then realize you're about to run off the road. So while focusing on kissing Scott, Jean forgot about those optic beam shields. It was trivial for her to hold them back because of her new powers, but it still required concentration. she could just have gotten distracted or forgot about them. Look at the way she's portrayed when she first appears to Scott. she looks dazed and confused. swollen face, bags under eyes, tired looking. Or like someone who just had a tornado pass over their house, or someone who hasn't slept for 3 days.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #8
borinquenknight
Orion-X Founder

Quote:
Dude, his face is not bubbling. His facial muscles are twitching, tensing like he's experiencing pain or discomfort. There really weren't any special effects here. A side effect of Jean holding back his beams like that could be pain around his temples and face. That or like I said, she got distracted. Ever pull an all-nighter for a final exam? Ever not sleep for 3 days? It feels weird, doesn't it? You can breeze through your exam but suddenly you forget the name of your favorite song, and as you drive home, you remember the name of your favorite song and then realize you're about to run off the road. So while focusing on kissing Scott, Jean forgot about those optic beam shields. It was trivial for her to hold them back because of her new powers, but it still required concentration. she could just have gotten distracted or forgot about them. Look at the way she's portrayed when she first appears to Scott. she looks dazed and confused. swollen face, bags under eyes, tired looking. Or like someone who just had a tornado pass over their house, or someone who hasn't slept for 3 days.
Rats again!!! Now I have to watch it again to see whether or not his face was starting to bubble! I still think he should be running from Chuck!

Old 07-17-2006, 11:40 PM   #9
triplefive
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've seen the movie a couple times on the big screen and a few more times than that on the computer making avatars and a music video, and I would say there is definitely some SFX face "bubbling". It looked more like worms crawling under his skin, or some sort of pattern forming under his face.
If you want to see for yourself, check this video at 1:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaYJho7hmbA

--[FHM]--
triplefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:58 PM   #10
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplefive
I've seen the movie a couple times on the big screen and a few more times than that on the computer making avatars and a music video, and I would say there is definitely some SFX face "bubbling". It looked more like worms crawling under his skin, or some sort of pattern forming under his face.
If you want to see for yourself, check this video at 1:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaYJho7hmbA
Hmmm... when I saw it for the very first time, my initial impression was that's what Rogue does to boyfriends when she kisses them, except that it's not one of Jean's capabilities nor would she have a need to suck in anyone's lifeforce. I can see how this could be a topic that we spend debating for months and months though One thing that's clear though it's definitely not consistent with what happens to a victim when Jean / Phoenix vaporizes them. Plus when she does that she really has to call upon her power and anger and that manifests itself in the form of her eyes going pitch black and those veiny patterns, which I don't think she was doing here.
I'm still under the impression that what you see is the side effect or consequence of trying to hold back Scott's beams. Jean would easily have the power to do it, but not the skills and finesse to do it in a way that doesn't hurt Scott. I don't think it's ever been established what happens to Scott when someone tries to hold back his beams by force by any other means than using his visor or glasses. Maybe that's her attempt ot stabilizing things or when she loses her focus, starts mentally gripping and squeezing his facial muscles instead of keeping her attention on his eyes and those beams?

Old 07-20-2006, 01:56 AM   #11
BatJeff7786
Side-Kick

Quote:
Dude, his face is not bubbling. His facial muscles are twitching, tensing like he's experiencing pain or discomfort. There really weren't any special effects here. .
A Bootleg copy which was viewed over and over say different. Scott's dead. The Professor said he was dead, and he would of all people be the one to know. Otherwise he wouldn't have provoked the Phoenix so much when he said that to her.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:30 AM   #12
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatJeff7786
The Professor said he was dead, and he would of all people be the one to know. Otherwise he wouldn't have provoked the Phoenix so much when he said that to her.
Oh? And how would he be the one to know? He can't sense anyone that far. Cerebro was out of commision since its parts were stolen by Stryker and ended up under water at his base, so he couldn't use it to find anyone even if he wanted to. Jean herself wasn't sure what happened, just random flashes of memory. He didn't learn anything by probing her head while talking to Logan either. Plus Xavier can't sense or scan people who are unconcious or in a coma unless he's there in person and makes physical contact. The movie leaves a big plothole at just HOW Xavier found out. My best guess is Logan told him so and he believed him. I think it went something like this:

"Charles, we couldn't find any sign of Scott."
"Did you do a thorough search for him?"
"Well not really. We forgot all about it once we found Jean."
"hmmm, I see. But you found his glasses?"
"yeah. Floating in mid-air."
"It's obvious then. Jean must have vaporized him"
"damn"

When he felt that disturbance, he didn't know anything specific except that something BIG happened at Alkali Lake. but he didn't sense something specific like Scott being in danger, otherwise he would have told Logan and Ro before they left. None of them knew that Scott went to Alkali Lake. In fact they were surprised to find his glasses there (no specifics on whether they found his motorcycle). So the whole matter seems pretty vague. Neither the movie audience nor the chararcters in the movie could determine for certain what happened.

And I'd get provoked too if someone accused me of killing someone and I didn't. Granted I probably wouldn't lift my house off its foundation and turn the other person into sand, but I'd still get mighty upset.

Last edited by ntcrawler; 07-20-2006 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:11 AM   #13
warpdrive
PinkPanther

I still don't believe they removed him from the movie, that's not what happened in the comics!

warpdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #14
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:

That is my thoughts and I think it is the most reasonable for a future movie with Cyclops included. A clone of Jean is dumb. But they didn't show his death for a reason...ambiguity is key.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:01 PM   #15
JeanGrey12
Side-Kick

Quote:

thats actually a pretty good explanation. i mean lets face it guys, if they really wanted Scott dead for sure, then they would have shown him dissintegrate point blank whether it be when the scene actually happens or when Jean gets flashbacks in the medical bay. the fact is they didn't show it, leaving it open (whether it is logical or not) that Scott is indeed alive. its like soap operas. you are never dead unless they actually show you die.

because they didn't, i would never be shocked if he is alive. frankly, i wouldnt care if it was completely illogical as i like his character as well as jean (shes my fav. scott and logan switch back and forth for second depending on which movie)

Jean Grey is my favorite marvel character and my second favorite movie character of all time (sorry Indiana Jones takes that one lol...).
TAKE A STAND!

PS. FYI im a girl....
JeanGrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:09 PM   #16
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanGrey12
because they didn't, i would never be shocked if he is alive. frankly, i wouldnt care if it was completely illogical as i like his character as well as jean (shes my fav. scott and logan switch back and forth for second depending on which movie)
It can't be any more illogical and out of character than it already is. At this point I personally don't care how shocking it would be to retcon things or contradict the events of X3 (as if it didn't already contradict enough things that were established in X1 and X2), I'd rather see a happier, more fulfilling ending, one worthy of the characters, their dedication to each other, and their heroism. I believe that would be referred to as character development, which this movie sorely lacked. And no, making Logan the team leader and Ro inherit the entire Xavier institute is not character development. Rogue giving up everything she worked for in order to have sex is not character development either. Angel's 2-scene story arc is not character development, more like a cameo. (Hell Peter Jackson's cameo's in the LOTR trilogy had more screentime than Angel!!!) And you can't have character development between two characters when one ends up "dead" and another is turned into some kind of freaky monster.
They jumped over Highlander 2, they jumped over Superman 3 and 4, and they jumped over Batman and Robin. I don't see why they can't hop a little over X3 too. After all, this is supposed to be just a popcorn action summer blockbuster flick, right? The average moviegoing audience won't notice it or mind too much if certain characters come back. What do they care? They're just casual fans.

BTW, Bad JeanGrey12!!! BAD!! It's not nice to try to kill your fiancee while you're in each other's arms! You'll hurt his feelings

Last edited by ntcrawler; 07-18-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #17
JeanGrey12
Side-Kick

Quote:

BTW, Bad JeanGrey12!!! BAD!! It's not nice to try to kill your fiancee while you're in each other's arms! You'll hurt his feelings
hahaha i think more than his feelings were hurt lol

Jean Grey is my favorite marvel character and my second favorite movie character of all time (sorry Indiana Jones takes that one lol...).
TAKE A STAND!

PS. FYI im a girl....
Old 07-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #18
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
hahaha i think more than his feelings were hurt lol
The sacrifices he has to make, the pain he goes through for his girl, he's one dedicated and stubborn man

Old 07-19-2006, 09:55 AM   #19
S7ilver
Side-Kick

Quote:
thats actually a pretty good explanation. i mean lets face it guys, if they really wanted Scott dead for sure, then they would have shown him dissintegrate point blank whether it be when the scene actually happens or when Jean gets flashbacks in the medical bay. the fact is they didn't show it, leaving it open (whether it is logical or not) that Scott is indeed alive. its like soap operas. you are never dead unless they actually show you die.

They wanted to add at least some cinematics to the movie, showing Cyclops disinegrating on-screen would leave no intrigue to the viewers especially so early in the movie. Jean has just arisen and no one knows what's happened to her so they kiss, epic/scary music play, Cyclops starts to bubble, scene changes on-screen, and poof..he's gone..

Bottom-line, if he looked like he died and they acted like he died..He probably died

Old 07-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #20
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S7ilver
They wanted to add at least some cinematics to the movie,
Haha, I like the way you said that. But if that's the best they can come up with as far as cinematics, that really leaves a scary thought.
Quote:
showing Cyclops disinegrating on-screen would leave no intrigue to the viewers especially so early in the movie.
there are other ways to kill people. Remember when Jean hurled Logan back against a wall? She could have slammed Scott fatally into a tree or chucked him into the lake. You could still show him dead but you wouldn't have to reveal your super secret vaporization special effects. I think what intrigued the viewers was how easily all the chars accepted his death. Not only did they not bother to do any kind of investigation or to even look for him, but no one even showed any remorse. Scott's dead and that's it. Business as usual at the mansion. Charles got his funeral and grave. Scott didn't, even though by the time of Charle's death it should have been obvious that he was dead (if he really was dead). That's what intigues me and a bunch of other viewers. Maybe they knew something we didn't. Or they were so busy they completely forgot about Scott until the end of the movie.

Quote:
Jean has just arisen and no one knows what's happened to her so they kiss, epic/scary music play, Cyclops starts to bubble, scene changes on-screen, and poof..he's gone..

Bottom-line, if he looked like he died and they acted like he died..He probably died
And you honestly enjoyed that scene? You have no problems with it? You really thought that it was a beautiful way of showing the dynamics of their relationship, the drama involving a much anticipated scene that fans were waiting 3 years to see, and the shock of how evil Jean is? That's the best they could do?

Last edited by ntcrawler; 07-19-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #21
S7ilver
Side-Kick

Quote:
And you honestly enjoyed that scene? You have no problems with it? You really thought that it was a beautiful way of showing the dynamics of their relationship, the drama involving a much anticipated scene that fans were waiting 3 years to see, and the shock of how evil Jean is? That's the best they could do?
I never said I liked it but that's what happened, personally I thought it was done poorly and very unemotional. Scott's actions were so unrealistic he barely gave a thought to how Jean had just risen from the dead, very rushed..Like the rest of the movie

Old 07-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #22
JeanGrey12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S7ilver
They wanted to add at least some cinematics to the movie, showing Cyclops disinegrating on-screen would leave no intrigue to the viewers especially so early in the movie. Jean has just arisen and no one knows what's happened to her so they kiss, epic/scary music play, Cyclops starts to bubble, scene changes on-screen, and poof..he's gone..

i mean i know what you're saying, but when you leave intrigue, for something like that, theres really no reason to leave it like that for the whole movie or even left open forever. you could have had intrigue and still have shown him be demolecularized when jean had flashbacks.

TAKE A STAND!

PS. FYI im a girl....
Old 07-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #23
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
i mean i know what you're saying, but when you leave intrigue, for something like that, theres really no reason to leave it like that for the whole movie or even left open forever. you could have had intrigue and still have shown him be demolecularized when jean had flashbacks.
Yeah, you can't have it both ways. Either he died, or he didn't. Either you show that he died, or you don't. I can see how the production team was making a last-ditch effort to salvage Scott instead of killing him off outright, but while giving us hope, at the same time it makes things frustrating.
I know alot of people including myself waited 3 years for this very scene, and we were hoping for something better than what we got.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #24
borinquenknight
Orion-X Founder

Oh thats right I never answered the question.....He's running from Chuck Norris!

Old 07-17-2006, 09:35 PM   #25
S7ilver
Side-Kick

I think Xavier would've been able to sense Scott if he was still alive plus he even said it to Jean's face that she murdered him, I'd hope he'd be sure about it especially when he's telling a woman, who's on the verge of insanity, that she killed her fiance, either that or the Prof is an idiot..