The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 03:15 AM   #1
Retroman
Side-Kick
 
Retroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 20,577
Default The Official Mike Dougherty & Dan Harris Thread

Mike Dougherty is set to make his directoral debut with the horror/comdey flick Trick R Treat.Dan Harris is directing his second movie I, Lucifer starring Daniel Craig and Ewan Mcgregor after his strong debut film Imaginary Heroes. What kind of effect do you think this will have on the SR sequel? That is if Singer will return.


__________________
Avatar courtesy
Retroman is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 06:51 AM   #2
matrix_ghost
milfhunter
 
matrix_ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At Tarantino's grave...Where he belongs
Posts: 5,379
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Not much i guess
Assuming Singer and co. are still on board and the sequel comes out in 2009 , i think both guys have enough time to work out the script. If they haven't already begun working on it.

I remember reading an article somewhere where Singer was invited to a dinner with Alan Horn where he basically layed out what he had planned for the trilogy. Some time later he was accepted as the director of SR.
Now they could've just had a a simple plan like for example "In the first movie , we'll just have Superman saving the earth and lex coming up with a devious plan and in the second movie we'll have Zod returning and in the 3rd movie we'll have Braniac.".
That or they have already begun writing a concept for the sequel. Action scenes being fleshed out etc.


Besides it's still 3 years till 2009. I think that singer will take the same approach that he had with the X-Men movies and SR which is going to be shooting the movie somewhere in 2008 and then use the other time for the VFX. Don't ask me why he would do that , cause i don't see how a big budget blockbuster like Superman with massive VFX sequences ( hopefully with a villain this time around ) will need a post. prod. schedule that is less then a year.
But anyway going back to the writers , i think both will finish their movies somewhere in 2007

I,LUCIFER ( which btw sounds like a awesome movie !) doesn't have a release date , but i think Craig will begin work on this movie after he finishes work on The Golden Compass. Or not, because the sequel to Casino Royale comes out in 2008. So i think that movie ( bond sequel) has a higher priority .
Which would mean that by the time Craig finishes up on Bond , Harris will have been contuining working on the script alongside Dougherty.
Trick 'r Treat comes out on the 5th of oct. 2007 ( taken from IMDB) so Dougherty will definately be finished before 2008.




And this all is of singer goes along with those two. OR mebbe WB has said to singer to actually take writers who know a thing or two about the comics ( a la Joss Whedon and David Hayter with the first X-men movie)

__________________

Rambo is better then viagra. Heck it should be mandatory viewing for us males before we bang our women
matrix_ghost is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
blueboy
Side-Kick
 
blueboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NEW YORK CITY
Posts: 1,259
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Honestly, I hope we get new writers all around... A Nolan/Goyer combo would be perfect for Superman or any other Comic franchise for that matter....

thoughts?

blueboy is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Payle Gray
Side-Kick
 
Payle Gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 948
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy
Honestly, I hope we get new writers all around... A Nolan/Goyer combo would be perfect for Superman or any other Comic franchise for that matter....

thoughts?
I totally agree, although that particular combo won't happen.

__________________
www.myspace.com/Gray_Area
Payle Gray is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 AM   #5
Payle Gray
Side-Kick
 
Payle Gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 948
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy
Honestly, I hope we get new writers all around... A Nolan/Goyer combo would be perfect for Superman or any other Comic franchise for that matter....

thoughts?
I totally agree, although that particular combo won't happen.

__________________
www.myspace.com/Gray_Area
Payle Gray is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
ReTrO JuNkIe 42
Side-Kick
 
ReTrO JuNkIe 42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gotham
Posts: 1,174
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy
Honestly, I hope we get new writers all around... A Nolan/Goyer combo would be perfect for Superman or any other Comic franchise for that matter....

thoughts?

CoughTimm/DiniCough Excuse me

__________________

You can't teach greatness, only inspire it
ReTrO JuNkIe 42 is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
dpm07
Hiking Hero
 
dpm07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 6,431
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReTrO JuNkIe 42
CoughTimm/DiniCough Excuse me
Good choice, but it will never happen.

Singer couldn't control those two like he did his whack pack of Harris & Daugherty, and Timm/Dini are not going to pacify Singer's fragile mentally disturbed bi-polar ego.

__________________
"If we die, it will be for glory, not for gold..." - Beowulf
dpm07 is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 36,545
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm07
Good choice, but it will never happen.

Singer couldn't control those two like he did his whack pack of Harris & Daugherty, and Timm/Dini are not going to pacify Singer's fragile mentally disturbed bi-polar ego.
Taking things a bit too seriously.

__________________
Come think with us:http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.com/

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #9
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hill Valley
Posts: 41,449
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm07
Good choice, but it will never happen.

Singer couldn't control those two like he did his whack pack of Harris & Daugherty, and Timm/Dini are not going to pacify Singer's fragile mentally disturbed bi-polar ego.
Has Dini and Timm ever written a feature length movie, beside a cartoon? Not to disprespect what they do, because what I am calling cartoons are indeed fun and well done. I just don't understand why you would think they are the "2nd coming".

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #10
ReTrO JuNkIe 42
Side-Kick
 
ReTrO JuNkIe 42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gotham
Posts: 1,174
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm07
Good choice, but it will never happen.

Singer couldn't control those two like he did his whack pack of Harris & Daugherty, and Timm/Dini are not going to pacify Singer's fragile mentally disturbed bi-polar ego.

Oh I know, but i can dream can't I

__________________

You can't teach greatness, only inspire it
ReTrO JuNkIe 42 is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 03:18 PM   #11
green
...
 
green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: frisco
Posts: 7,994
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm07
Good choice, but it will never happen.

Singer couldn't control those two like he did his whack pack of Harris & Daugherty, and Timm/Dini are not going to pacify Singer's fragile mentally disturbed bi-polar ego.

Oh jeez.

green is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #12
Retroman
Side-Kick
 
Retroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 20,577
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix_ghost
Not much i guess
Assuming Singer and co. are still on board and the sequel comes out in 2009 , i think both guys have enough time to work out the script. If they haven't already begun working on it.

I remember reading an article somewhere where Singer was invited to a dinner with Alan Horn where he basically layed out what he had planned for the trilogy. Some time later he was accepted as the director of SR.
Now they could've just had a a simple plan like for example "In the first movie , we'll just have Superman saving the earth and lex coming up with a devious plan and in the second movie we'll have Zod returning and in the 3rd movie we'll have Braniac.".
That or they have already begun writing a concept for the sequel. Action scenes being fleshed out etc.


Besides it's still 3 years till 2009. I think that singer will take the same approach that he had with the X-Men movies and SR which is going to be shooting the movie somewhere in 2008 and then use the other time for the VFX. Don't ask me why he would do that , cause i don't see how a big budget blockbuster like Superman with massive VFX sequences ( hopefully with a villain this time around ) will need a post. prod. schedule that is less then a year.
But anyway going back to the writers , i think both will finish their movies somewhere in 2007

I,LUCIFER ( which btw sounds like a awesome movie !) doesn't have a release date , but i think Craig will begin work on this movie after he finishes work on The Golden Compass. Or not, because the sequel to Casino Royale comes out in 2008. So i think that movie ( bond sequel) has a higher priority .
Which would mean that by the time Craig finishes up on Bond , Harris will have been contuining working on the script alongside Dougherty.
Trick 'r Treat comes out on the 5th of oct. 2007 ( taken from IMDB) so Dougherty will definately be finished before 2008.
I'm pretty sure they will be finished with their films by the end of 2007. That wasn't really point i was wondering more that now that both of them of the are going out on their own how that will affect the SR sequel.Will Singer let them direct segments of the movie like Robert Rodriguez did on Sin City? Will we see stronger dialogue? Will they ask for more money when they sign on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix_ghost
And this all is of singer goes along with those two. OR mebbe WB has said to singer to actually take writers who know a thing or two about the comics ( a la Joss Whedon and David Hayter with the first X-men movie)
Well Singer knows both David Hayter and Tom DeSanto quite well and both major comic book geeks. I'd be very happy if they were brought on board for the SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy
Honestly, I hope we get new writers all around... A Nolan/Goyer combo would be perfect for Superman or any other Comic franchise for that matter....

thoughts?
Besides the fact that i don't think Nolan will do a Superman movie this not the topic of this thread its really about Dougherty and Harris.

__________________
Avatar courtesy
Retroman is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
blueboy
Side-Kick
 
blueboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NEW YORK CITY
Posts: 1,259
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman
Besides the fact that i don't think Nolan will do a Superman movie this not the topic of this thread its really about Dougherty and Harris.
Reread what I said Retroman... I'm giving an example of a combo that should happen for Superman... I'm not saying that Nolan/Goyer should be apart of it...

blueboy is offline  
Old 10-28-2006, 10:51 AM   #14
Retroman
Side-Kick
 
Retroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 20,577
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy
Reread what I said Retroman... I'm giving an example of a combo that should happen for Superman... I'm not saying that Nolan/Goyer should be apart of it...
My bad. Still don't see it happening though, sorry.

BTW The SR duo have already started doing their homework.


__________________
Avatar courtesy
Retroman is offline  
Old 10-21-2006, 06:42 PM   #15
bosef982
Side-Kick
 
bosef982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,212
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy
Honestly, I hope we get new writers all around... A Nolan/Goyer combo would be perfect for Superman or any other Comic franchise for that matter....

thoughts?
Since when did David Goyer become a good writer? Last time I checked, when left to his own devices, his movies tend to suck...

Doughtery and Harris all the way.

__________________
Can an omnipotent being create a stone so heavy that even he could not lift it?
-- Unknown

Two Films, One Review, No Holds Barred.
Comic books, fantasy, drama, romantic comedy -- all are put to task!

bosef982 is offline  
Old 10-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #16
blueboy
Side-Kick
 
blueboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NEW YORK CITY
Posts: 1,259
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosef982
Since when did David Goyer become a good writer? Last time I checked, when left to his own devices, his movies tend to suck...

Doughtery and Harris all the way.

When I mentioned the Goyer/Nolan example.. I meant get a good director and a writer who knows the comics inside and out.

blueboy is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #17
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hill Valley
Posts: 41,449
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman
Mike Dougherty is set to make his directoral debut with the horror/comdey flick Trick R Treat.Dan Harris is directing his second movie I, Lucifer starring Daniel Craig and Ewan Mcgregor after his strong debut film Imaginary Heroes. What kind of effect do you think this will have on the SR sequel? That is if Singer will return.

I think having Mike having the experience of directing and Dan furthering his, will only help them with their careers.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #18
Retroman
Side-Kick
 
Retroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 20,577
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029
I think having Mike having the experience of directing and Dan furthering his, will only help them with their careers.
Most definetly.Especially Harris'. His first film starred Sigourney Weaver now he's getting to direct Ewan Mcgregor and Daniel Craig. Not bad for one of Singer's 'yes men'.

__________________
Avatar courtesy
Retroman is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #19
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hill Valley
Posts: 41,449
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman
Most definetly.Especially Harris'. His first film starred Sigourney Weaver now he's getting to direct Ewan Mcgregor and Daniel Craig. Not bad for one of Singer's 'yes men'.
I really liked Imaginary Heroes. It was good.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #20
Retroman
Side-Kick
 
Retroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 20,577
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029
I really liked Imaginary Heroes. It was good.
I agree.

__________________
Avatar courtesy
Retroman is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #21
igotatromboner
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ft.Smith AR
Posts: 707
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

These two are just as big of a problem as Singer. Why can'y Singer get imaginative with his writing staff, casting, etc. He's always working with the same group of people. This limits his range as a movie maker. These guys are talented, but somebody needs to be hired to call out Singer or whoever directs the sequel on bad ideas. Bring in some fresh talent with something new to bring to the table.

__________________
Batman>Superman
igotatromboner is offline  
Old 10-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #22
Freddy_Krueger
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 646
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotatromboner
These two are just as big of a problem as Singer. Why can'y Singer get imaginative with his writing staff, casting, etc. He's always working with the same group of people.
A lot of directors do work with the same people. Spielberg COULD get someone besides John Williams to score his movies, but he likes working with John so he keeps him.

The same with Singer and Dougherty/Harris.

__________________
The term "Singerman" is neither funny nor clever. While we're at it, why don't we refer to Tim Burton's Batman as Burtonman?

If you can't attack SR without attacking Bryan Singer's sexuality, then just keep your thoughts to yourself.
Freddy_Krueger is offline  
Old 10-21-2006, 03:19 PM   #23
igotatromboner
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ft.Smith AR
Posts: 707
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Krueger
A lot of directors do work with the same people. Spielberg COULD get someone besides John Williams to score his movies, but he likes working with John so he keeps him.

The same with Singer and Dougherty/Harris.

I'm sorry, but when was the last time anyone complained about Spielberg or Williams? Probably Spielberg's 1941 right? Singer and company aren't even on that level so don't even compare them. I'm fine for people working together more than once, but they need to consistently bring some good ideas to the table. Superman Returns had a lot of stupid crap in it, X2 had a lot of crap in it, and the next project they work together on will have a lot of stupid crap in it.

__________________
Batman>Superman
igotatromboner is offline  
Old 10-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #24
Freddy_Krueger
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 646
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotatromboner
I'm sorry, but when was the last time anyone complained about Spielberg or Williams? Probably Spielberg's 1941 right? Singer and company aren't even on that level so don't even compare them. I'm fine for people working together more than once, but they need to consistently bring some good ideas to the table. Superman Returns had a lot of stupid crap in it, X2 had a lot of crap in it, and the next project they work together on will have a lot of stupid crap in it.
In your opinion. Regardless, my point remains the same: directors have certain people they are more comfortable working with--whether they be writers, cutters, composers, actors, what have you. Singer likes working with Dougherty and Harris and will probably continue to work with them in the future.

Whether you like it or not.

__________________
The term "Singerman" is neither funny nor clever. While we're at it, why don't we refer to Tim Burton's Batman as Burtonman?

If you can't attack SR without attacking Bryan Singer's sexuality, then just keep your thoughts to yourself.
Freddy_Krueger is offline  
Old 10-21-2006, 06:43 PM   #25
bosef982
Side-Kick
 
bosef982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,212
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotatromboner
I'm sorry, but when was the last time anyone complained about Spielberg or Williams? Probably Spielberg's 1941 right? Singer and company aren't even on that level so don't even compare them. I'm fine for people working together more than once, but they need to consistently bring some good ideas to the table. Superman Returns had a lot of stupid crap in it, X2 had a lot of crap in it, and the next project they work together on will have a lot of stupid crap in it.
Oh, you were a lost cause before you even starting posting. X2 is considered one of the greatest comic book movies ever....

Sigh...

__________________
Can an omnipotent being create a stone so heavy that even he could not lift it?
-- Unknown

Two Films, One Review, No Holds Barred.
Comic books, fantasy, drama, romantic comedy -- all are put to task!

bosef982 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.