The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 04-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Arkady Rossovich
Banned User

Cool Generation X Appreciation Thread

After doing some searching,I couldn't find a thread that discussed Generation X. So it's been more than 10 years since the first issue was released,I would think this was genuine 90's X-Men for a new generation at the time.

Personally I thought this was perhaps the only decent thing out of the 1990's X-Men Universe. Are there any former readers here?

Discuss.

Arkady Rossovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Havok83
Side-Kick

Default Re: Generation X Appreciation Thread

Hell yeah, I was one. The first Gen X issue I picked up, I beleive was 32 or so. It was the one where that girl stole stuff from Skin, Husk and Jubilee. I loved the book and went and collected all the back issues which were great. Unfortunetly, I picked a bad time to start reading bc thats where things went downhill. Hama was the absolute worse thing to happen to the title. I cant beleive how much he screwed up that story with M-Plate

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:57 AM   #3
tank girl
Side-Kick

ah bachalo and his disproportioned weirdos,good times

tank girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
Valechan
Banned User

My first Gen X issue was 16 and I quickly managed to get 1-15, so I have it all

I so hated when Jay Faerber was taken off the book and replaced him with Ellis. I really liked what Faerber was doing, especially opening the school to humans, it had tons of possibilities... sigh, damn Ellis, he ruined the title and got it cancelled

Valechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
The Englishman
Marching On Together

I Loved this book, started getting it from issue 1, i loved the interaction between Banshee and Emma but my favorite character was Chamber, oh why did they have to **** him up so much???!

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valechan View Post
My first Gen X issue was 16 and I quickly managed to get 1-15, so I have it all

I so hated when Jay Faerber was taken off the book and replaced him with Ellis. I really liked what Faerber was doing, especially opening the school to humans, it had tons of possibilities... sigh, damn Ellis, he ruined the title and got it cancelled
I liked Faerber and he did good considering the crap he had to fix up from Hama's damage. I didnt like the idea of the school opening back up to humans again. I dont think they should have gone back to that

My favorite character by far was Monet. She was amazing in Gen X. Her bickering with Emma and Jubilee made the series worth reading for me

Last edited by Havok83; 04-28-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Valechan
Banned User

Issue 48 with Jubes vs Monet was definetely one of my faves. Another favorite issue was 25, even though I was completely shocked every time I turned a page the first time I read that one, it was too shocking and surprising and now I just love it.

Valechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 AM   #8
OutcryX
Side-Kick

I waited patiently for Mondo to be introduced and for Blink to brought back...they screwed the pooch with mondo. and Blink never returned

and larry Hama was soo NOT a good fit for Gen X..he was fresh of GI Joe..WHY IN THE HELL would they put him on a teen book?

Gaia was a cool character..woulda liked to see more of her...and for Penance to be developed more. i wanted the St. Crois twins to die though..they sucked

and i wanted Artie to be made useful with his image thoughts...

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic
OutcryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:36 AM   #9
Havok83
Side-Kick

Mondo never even felt like a team member. I dont think he was ever used in any of their battles aside from an annual or 2. He was barely there. His powers were cool though.

I didnt care for Gaia. I found her to be boring and didnt have much to stand out aside from her loud hair

Penance had potential and I liked her and it sucked when they made her not a real character but it saved Monet, so I was fine with that

Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
Arkady Rossovich
Banned User

I wonder,was there a paperback that collected all or some of Generation X? Because I am missing some issues.

Arkady Rossovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #11
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkady Rossovich View Post
I wonder,was there a paperback that collected all or some of Generation X? Because I am missing some issues.
there was X-Men: The Origin of Generation X which collected Generation Next and the first few issues of Generation X

Old 05-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
Eternal Spiral

I loved Generation X 11 since it revealed Omega Red's origin.
I thought Arkady's story and dialogue were interesting.
However, I'm sort of iffy about the result of the battle between Chamber and him.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #13
BMM
Side-Kick

I like Generation X (its like a 90s version of the New Mutants)... Unfortunately, as it progressed, I lost interest.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #14
TwilightPro101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
I like Generation X (its like a 90s version of the New Mutants)... Unfortunately, as it progressed, I lost interest.
Had the same approach to this title after a certain point. Believe I actually dropped it around the time, that they decided to a slasher parody with all of Generation X villains as the 70s/80s slasher parodies in a nightmare.

TwilightPro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #15
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightPro101 View Post
Had the same approach to this title after a certain point. Believe I actually dropped it around the time, that they decided to a slasher parody with all of Generation X villains as the 70s/80s slasher parodies in a nightmare.
That was right after the god awful M-Plate arc. Larry Hama ruined the book. It was so great when Lobdell was writing but after he left Hama gutted it. Faerber did his best to make it readable again but unfortunetly too much damage was done to bring it back to where it was

Old 05-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #16
OutcryX
Side-Kick

Generation X WAS a 90s version of New Mutants...every decade seems to call for its own teen mutant book...sadly of Generation X, only two of them are left alive/still a mutant/accounted for. M and Husk.
Jubilee..depowered. gained Wonder Woman-esque powers...now she is..uh..Wondra?
Chamber..depowered...repowered by Apocalypse...now is a Banshee ripoff..Decibal?
Skin..dead
Synch..dead
Mondo...who knows? possibly dead or depowered (was never even really a team member)
Gaia...who(yeah, disappeared after Hama introduced her)
Penance...was never a real character but now is and is out there somewhere, doing something, has to switch names since Speedball now has hers.
Artie and Leech? i dunno

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic

Last edited by OutcryX; 05-11-2008 at 12:42 AM.
OutcryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:17 AM   #17
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Leech moved back in with the Morlocks (recently revealed in Uncanny). According to Wikipedia, Artie was shown on a list of depowered mutants in an issue of New Avengers.

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:08 AM   #18
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

When Generation X was cancelled I was hoping that the survivors would graduate to the X-Men. It was when Morrison and Casey took over the books and Claremont had X-Treme. It would've been the perfect time.

Jake Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:10 AM   #19
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Well, Jubilee and Husk joined the X-Men. Then they were kicked out of the roster by Cyclops for no real reason.

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:40 AM   #20
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Well, Jubilee and Husk joined the X-Men. Then they were kicked out of the roster by Cyclops for no real reason.
you forgot Chamber. He was the first to join the X-men after Gen X. Monet went to X-corporation and well Austen killed Skin

Old 05-11-2008, 03:34 AM   #21
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

I know that. I just wanted all of the on the same team at the same time. Just imagine the Uncanny team at the time (Archangel, Iceman, Nightcrawler, Chamber) along with Jubilee, Husk, M and Skin. That would've rocked, imo.

Jake Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #22
KingOfMars
feed the dementia.

I was always more drawn to gen x as a kid than x-men, though im not sure why.I remember the first issue i bought was where synch had become a vampire, but this is all i remember, anyone know what issue number that was?

Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #23
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfMars View Post
I was always more drawn to gen x as a kid than x-men, though im not sure why.I remember the first issue i bought was where synch had become a vampire, but this is all i remember, anyone know what issue number that was?
The vampire plot happened right before Revolution. I think that was somewhere around issue 60ish.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #24
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
The vampire plot happened right before Revolution. I think that was somewhere around issue 60ish.
Actually no, that one had to do with M. The Synch deal was when Emplate had turned him into one of his vampire minions, which was around issue 15-16.

This is still my favorate X-Title (though New X-Men is close, I like student books). I thought Synch and Chamber were phenominal and loved every issue from 1 to somewhere around issue 25. After that it dropped a little and the M-Plate stuff killed it. I ended up getting behind and pretty much dropped it for a good long time after that. I got caught up again right before Revolution and realized there wasn't much I missed save a few issues. It was actually pretty good around issue 50. I specifically liked the one with Maggot, the X-Man crossover, etc. Then Revolution actually made it better for me, though I was very angry at Synch's death. Then it just kinda ended.

The last issue was very touching, as it's the first series I ever started and ended. I was excited to see Emma and Chamber going to the X-Men but then Morrison and Casey completely ignored or altered the series ending and had Chamber running off to Europe or somewhere and Emma ignoring the fact that Xavier sent a helecopter to take her and she went off to Genosha instead before joining the team. And that pretty much set the stage for Generation X's future.

Though Jubilee is now depowered I have to say that New Warriors did wonders for her character. I like her better now than I ever did in Generation X or X-Men. I miss Chamber's classic look and powers but I'm curious if anything will ever come of this whole Apocalypse thing. I hope if they do lead into a big Apocalypse story as a result of Messiah War he'll be pulled in somehow.

Dead
Synch
Skin
Banshee

If Chamber were on that list then that'd be all 4 of my favorate characters from the Gen X days. Sad.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #25
GambitXremy
Side-Kick

Give it like 5 or ten years and the kids who read Gen.X in the 90's.will be writing alot of stories about them again because they'll be the writers kinda like whats happing with the new mutants now. it seems like alot of writers love that team because they read it when they were kids

GambitXremy is offline   Reply With Quote