The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 04-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Default Questions about the wars Wolverine fought in

If Wolverine was Canadian why would he fight in the American Civil War and the Vietnam war?

The Overlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
chaseter
Bland User

Default Re: Questions about the wars Wolverine fought in

Here is the funny thing, he says a line in the movie concerning his heritage when 20 minutes earlier we saw him in those wars. Just another thing the movie did not explain.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Deadpool876
Side-Kick

I wondered about that too; maybe he's a dual-citizen. lol

Deadpool876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Euucch! SO now Logan aint even full-Canadian anymore?

Is there anything this movie actually did get right?

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
King K
DCU Online

I interpreted that Logan simply followed Creed to every war to look out for him.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
TNC9852002
Banned User

lol. I like how people want to immediately jump on this as some kind of huge and glaring movie issue. Some things,...just don't need much time for exploration.

So then, what was the comic explanation?

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!

Last edited by TNC9852002; 04-15-2009 at 08:34 PM.
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
xwolverine2
Arkham Assassin

...who cares.

lol

Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
night0205
Side-Kick

Maybe Wolverine and Sabretooth like war...they are good at it, and considering if I wanted to fight in World War II, i'd fight with USA. But also, just because he thinks he's canadian after his memory loss...doesn't really mean he is. And also, with someone who doesn't age much, he might "be" canadian just because he lived there a long time....

night0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Is he hard to kill even before he's given admantium? If I were that tough, that long-lived, and that good at fighting I might go to war too.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:00 AM   #10
Nevaratoiel
I don't bite... hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Is he hard to kill even before he's given admantium? If I were that tough, that long-lived, and that good at fighting I might go to war too.
His healing ability????

Taylor Kitsch.org | Elfae.com
Nevaratoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
Evelisse
Exactly

I'm thinking it was pretty tough to prove citizenship during the civil war? I mean I doubt many had paperwork to back anything up, and that the army would turn any able bodied man who wanted to fight down.

Evelisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #12
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0205 View Post
Maybe Wolverine and Sabretooth like war...they are good at it, and considering if I wanted to fight in World War II, i'd fight with USA. But also, just because he thinks he's canadian after his memory loss...doesn't really mean he is. And also, with someone who doesn't age much, he might "be" canadian just because he lived there a long time....
If they like war and they like killing people then that is another plot hole that comes up in about the first 15 minutes.

Plus...this is all before his memory loss. He knows he is Canadian and doesn't do something because he is Canadian but willingly fought in America's wars...just sloppy writing or bad editing.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 04-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
TNC9852002
Banned User

:facepalm

It's all about how you look at it.

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC9852002 View Post
:facepalm

It's all about how you look at it.
I don't close my eyes or ears so I look at it with common sense. It would have been perfectly fine had they added dialogue as to why he fought in those wars if he is Canadian...it doesn't do that. Simple things like that which can be easily fixed aren't and they add up in this film. When he says a line 15 minutes into the movie then you wonder why he was doing what he was doing. This is like with X3 when we wonder how Magneto and his army traveled across the country within a couple of hours. Just little details that are fine if they are few and far between but they added up in X3 and they add up in this movie.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
Ratcrawler
Side-Kick

I recall in X-Men Evolution when Logan fought alongside Cap America, he was part of Canadian sPecial forces or something.

Yeah, they're just naturally drawn to conflict. If America's at war, they want in on the action. Sabretooth loves killing people. Wolverine loves killing bad people.

Green Goblin: Yeah. He told me you're gay.

MARVEL/DC: HAPPY HOUR
Ratcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #16
night0205
Side-Kick

During the Civil War, what else is there to do? The guys don't die, they heal whatever happens, and they love to fight like animals. I don't think it's that big of plot hole...you have no idea what the story was for a hundred years. Maybe they had their reasons, doesn't mean it's a plot hole. Plus, if you think about it, if you love war, wouldn't you want to be involved in some of the greatest wars in world's history...they would be legendary, which is a reason why Stryker probably found out about them.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
night0205
Side-Kick

He doesn't kill innocent...but doesn't mind acting like an animal to soldiers, evil people...yeah that sounds like Wolverine to me.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #18
night0205
Side-Kick

I'm not following.... He doesn't kill innocents...did something change? And the reason they show they where in the war is obvious...they are fighters, and they are old, and they love to fight...i don't get what is so confusing about this? A movie doesn't explain areas that they don't want to focus on...I don't have any problem with them not explaining why they were in war, even though I see it as really obvious. If you want to add that into dialog, when it's so obvious, it just dumbs more things down, and you have to focus the whole scene on that, and you have to say it in the right way so mixes right into the movie, it's a waste of time.... Movies aren't supose to explain everything, then there is no mystery...no curiousity, that will help you sit through the next 2 hours. Only fanboys crucify a movie for not explaining something, because then they think it contradicts something, or maybe it's not logical...or bad writting...there is bad writting in this movie, but the beginning was in my opinion the best. The war was the one thing that I felt was defining our characters, showing us who wolverine and sabretooth really are...they are fighters, soldiers, and yes killers. Best part of the movie. This isn't dark knight...if Wolverine met Joker, he'd cut his head off.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #19
chaseter
Bland User

I can't post any more or it will be spoilers. I know they love to fight, did you not see what I wrote? I am not talking about their love of fighting, I am talking about a line Wolverine says to Stryker that contradicts all of that.

If you talk about dumbing things down...well then this is pretty dumbed down It is near void of intellect. All this is is a summer popcorn flick.

And I do agree that the beginning is the best part of the movie...I have said it many many times...I loved the beginning of this movie.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #20
Project862006
Banned User

i also got that he was there because he had to look after creed not because he didn't care where he fought

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #21
chaseter
Bland User

Creed can regenerate...he is a big boy I just got that he went with Creed because they are close.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #22
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Wolverine has been involved in many conflicts, including the Spanish Civil War. But I think a Larry Hama story explained it best: immortals go to war. They seek what they can't have - death. So it's not unlikely that Logan has involved in numerous conflicts despite his citizenship.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #23
Dope Nose
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
If Wolverine was Canadian why would he fight in the American Civil War and the Vietnam war?
roughly 50,000 Canadians served in the Civil War and another 30,000 volunteered to serve in the Vietnam war.

Dope Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #24
magneto1138
Side-Kick

The one thing that gets me is the dog tags. All 3 X-Films he had Canadian issue tags, and now all the sudden they are American issue.

magneto1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #25
Evelisse
Exactly

heh, don't think normal people will remember/notice/care about a detail like that.

Evelisse is offline   Reply With Quote