The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,902
Default how to fix wolverines character

now im sure i aint the only person to think he was at his best in xmen 1 and 2, and seem to lose something in the last 2

but what was it? and how to fix it?

you would think in his origin movie he would go even more darker, but he become never do wrong superhero sex symbol goody goody

in my appinion

GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
x-fan
Side-Kick
 
x-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: US
Posts: 941
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

The problem is that Logan isn't a Hero he is an Anti-hero, meaning he is a bad guy that does good, they have turned him into a run of the mill good guy.

x-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
The Executioner
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 391
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Exactly he needs to be the Wolverine on the big screen that he is in the comics.

The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
sabetoonth
Who?
 
sabetoonth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,408
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

he needs blood and cigars, and alchohol, and ya know, to get violent again

__________________
CC shops at hot topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
sabetoonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
 
DarkSovereignty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Shatterdome
Posts: 13,893
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

yeah i felt he was too tame especially in origins. like there was that one scene where he's talking to silver fox and he says that line "im the best there is at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice", i couldn't help but chuckle 'cause he really hadn't done anything to warrant that line. he served the military, thats about it. as a mercenary, he went on one mission and walked out because of the ethical ambiguity behind it, not very nice huh?

__________________
http://dapperfowl.wordpress.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
Squidboy
Side-Kick
 
Squidboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 679
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
yeah i felt he was too tame especially in origins. like there was that one scene where he's talking to silver fox and he says that line "im the best there is at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice", i couldn't help but chuckle 'cause he really hadn't done anything to warrant that line. he served the military, thats about it. as a mercenary, he went on one mission and walked out because of the ethical ambiguity behind it, not very nice huh?
We never actually get a confirmation that the Africa mission was their first - I always assumed that they showed it only to give an idea of how Logan wasn't like the rest of the people Stryker associated with. They could've given much better pacing for things like this, but alas, Fox preferred to rush the beginning so Logan could get his metal claws already.

Squidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 23,082
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidboy View Post
We never actually get a confirmation that the Africa mission was their first - I always assumed that they showed it only to give an idea of how Logan wasn't like the rest of the people Stryker associated with. They could've given much better pacing for things like this, but alas, Fox preferred to rush the beginning so Logan could get his metal claws already.
I don't think it was meant to be their first mission either. But it would have been nice to see Wolverine actually do something during that scene other than stand around and disapprove, if they were only going to show that one mission

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
sabetoonth
Who?
 
sabetoonth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,408
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidboy View Post
We never actually get a confirmation that the Africa mission was their first - I always assumed that they showed it only to give an idea of how Logan wasn't like the rest of the people Stryker associated with. They could've given much better pacing for things like this, but alas, Fox preferred to rush the beginning so Logan could get his metal claws already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I don't think it was meant to be their first mission either. But it would have been nice to see Wolverine actually do something during that scene other than stand around and disapprove, if they were only going to show that one mission
I think a mission montage would have been sufficient to clearly say this isnt the first mission, and yea, I'd like at least SOME blood, at LEAST, i mean, there was blood in his flashbacks in X2, and even just some splatter on the wall like in The Punisher when he slices the guys throat off screen in the end, we see blood splatter, a hard pg 13 i think would suffice to get across his violence and such. the bloodless XMOW did bug me, and the fact they bonded him to the metal not at the same place as X2

__________________
CC shops at hot topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
sabetoonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,519
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
yeah i felt he was too tame especially in origins. like there was that one scene where he's talking to silver fox and he says that line "im the best there is at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice", i couldn't help but chuckle 'cause he really hadn't done anything to warrant that line. he served the military, thats about it. as a mercenary, he went on one mission and walked out because of the ethical ambiguity behind it, not very nice huh?
The bolded part was one of my biggest problems with Origins (and the fact that it was written pretty poorly).

I tend to agree with Origins (the original 2001 comic) take on Wolverine. He's a good guy that's had a whole ton of crap piled on him in his life, so he's become a very grizzled and hard person, but a good heart lies under all that gristle.

However, Wolverine did go through a period when he was a very bad person. He killed a lot of people. And to be honest, as cool as it was to see Deadpool own a room of people, we needed scenes of Wolverine doing that. We needed to see Wolverine go in, carve up a room of goons and enjoy it. Because THAT's the part of him that he tries to hide later in life. That animal inside him that wants to fight, and LOVES to fight. That's the side of him that he's scared of.

All the lines about "you're not an animal" ect. ect. fell flat in that movie because they didn't do anything to explore that area of Wolverine. He was more of a goody goody in Origins then he was in X1 or X2.

Also, Wolverine: Origins messed up by not going into the horrors Weapon X inflicted upon Logan. They did more then put metal in him. They tortured him physically, but more importantly, they tortured him mentally. They tried to erase his humanity and tried to turn him into an animalistic killing machine. That's another reason why he has to struggle so much against his violent impulses, because of the intense trauma that Weapon X inflicted upon his psyche.

The past Wolverine movie did a lot of damage to the character of Logan. And honestly, I'm hoping that something falls through and Fox drops the series, and then in a decade or so Marvel will get the rights back and finally do Wolverine right.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
x-fan
Side-Kick
 
x-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: US
Posts: 941
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
The bolded part was one of my biggest problems with Origins (and the fact that it was written pretty poorly).

I tend to agree with Origins (the original 2001 comic) take on Wolverine. He's a good guy that's had a whole ton of crap piled on him in his life, so he's become a very grizzled and hard person, but a good heart lies under all that gristle.

However, Wolverine did go through a period when he was a very bad person. He killed a lot of people. And to be honest, as cool as it was to see Deadpool own a room of people, we needed scenes of Wolverine doing that. We needed to see Wolverine go in, carve up a room of goons and enjoy it. Because THAT's the part of him that he tries to hide later in life. That animal inside him that wants to fight, and LOVES to fight. That's the side of him that he's scared of.

All the lines about "you're not an animal" ect. ect. fell flat in that movie because they didn't do anything to explore that area of Wolverine. He was more of a goody goody in Origins then he was in X1 or X2.

Also, Wolverine: Origins messed up by not going into the horrors Weapon X inflicted upon Logan. They did more then put metal in him. They tortured him physically, but more importantly, they tortured him mentally. They tried to erase his humanity and tried to turn him into an animalistic killing machine. That's another reason why he has to struggle so much against his violent impulses, because of the intense trauma that Weapon X inflicted upon his psyche.

The past Wolverine movie did a lot of damage to the character of Logan. And honestly, I'm hoping that something falls through and Fox drops the series, and then in a decade or so Marvel will get the rights back and finally do Wolverine right.


1000 times I agree, unfortunately if it takes a decade Christian Kane will be to old for the part.

x-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,519
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-fan View Post
1000 times I agree, unfortunately if it takes a decade Christian Kane will be to old for the part.
Unfortunately, I think it will be at least that long until we see marvel regain the X-men rights. Fox is still pushing ahead with their X-men movies, which, no matter how hard I try, I just can't find the will to get excited for. Wolverine: Origins was easily the weakest of the three, and I have no faith that they'll be getting any better. I just want them to let it die so we can start over.

The most frustrating aspect though, is that a good portion of the cast was so perfect. Stewart was spot on as Prof X. Jackman was a pretty darn solid Wolverine (they just should have used some camera magic to make him look shorter). Schrieber as Sabertooth was great, McKellen was wonderful as Magneto, Reynolds as Wade Wilson was a fanboy dream, and Marsden looked pretty spot on as Cyclops, he just didn't get a whole lot to do.

I would have loved to see the casts we've gotten in better scripts. And I'm not even saying X1 or X2 were bad movies. They were good, but I think we could have gotten something a little more in tune with the comics and just as good.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049

Last edited by Infinity9999x; 08-14-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
UnionJack
In training at MI:13
 
UnionJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,724
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
The bolded part was one of my biggest problems with Origins (and the fact that it was written pretty poorly).

I tend to agree with Origins (the original 2001 comic) take on Wolverine. He's a good guy that's had a whole ton of crap piled on him in his life, so he's become a very grizzled and hard person, but a good heart lies under all that gristle.

However, Wolverine did go through a period when he was a very bad person. He killed a lot of people. And to be honest, as cool as it was to see Deadpool own a room of people, we needed scenes of Wolverine doing that. We needed to see Wolverine go in, carve up a room of goons and enjoy it. Because THAT's the part of him that he tries to hide later in life. That animal inside him that wants to fight, and LOVES to fight. That's the side of him that he's scared of.

All the lines about "you're not an animal" ect. ect. fell flat in that movie because they didn't do anything to explore that area of Wolverine. He was more of a goody goody in Origins then he was in X1 or X2.

Also, Wolverine: Origins messed up by not going into the horrors Weapon X inflicted upon Logan. They did more then put metal in him. They tortured him physically, but more importantly, they tortured him mentally. They tried to erase his humanity and tried to turn him into an animalistic killing machine. That's another reason why he has to struggle so much against his violent impulses, because of the intense trauma that Weapon X inflicted upon his psyche.

The past Wolverine movie did a lot of damage to the character of Logan. And honestly, I'm hoping that something falls through and Fox drops the series, and then in a decade or so Marvel will get the rights back and finally do Wolverine right.
I agree with you 10000000000000% but it was Fox who made it and they wanted to make a ton of cash ... from kids, they don't give a crap about the character or his fans they just want families to go, enjoy it, then buy there little brat lots of toys for him to throw away withing a month.

__________________
“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
Charles Bukowski

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,519
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
I agree with you 10000000000000% but it was Fox who made it and they wanted to make a ton of cash ... from kids, they don't give a crap about the character or his fans they just want families to go, enjoy it, then buy there little brat lots of toys for him to throw away withing a month.
I know, it's very frustrating. And if TDK showed us anything, it's that an intelligent, darker superhero flick can work. We don't have to make Wolverine a hard R (though I would say the character could certainly call for it). A hard pg-13 with a good script would work too.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #14
UnionJack
In training at MI:13
 
UnionJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,724
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabetoonth View Post
he needs blood and cigars, and alchohol, and ya know, to get violent again
this!

__________________
“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
Charles Bukowski

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Karelia
We Are Groot
 
Karelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,921
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

I think they should also fix his claws. I didn't have any problems with them in the first 3 X-Men movies, but in XMOW they just didn't look good at all...

Maybe this one they'll get it right. Since Jackman has talked about the Japan storyline so much, it'll be more accurate to the comics.

__________________
Believe In The Shield...

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #16
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue
 
Blitzkrieg Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Under there
Posts: 7,153
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Take off his restraining collar and make it R rated.

__________________
Apes--together--strong
Blitzkrieg Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #17
sabetoonth
Who?
 
sabetoonth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,408
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

IMO, R rated isnt nessasary to get an accurate depiction of him


and Karelia, i think they looked too CG in XMOW when he first unsheathes them

__________________
CC shops at hot topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
sabetoonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #18
Karelia
We Are Groot
 
Karelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,921
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabetoonth View Post
IMO, R rated isnt nessasary to get an accurate depiction of him


and Karelia, i think they looked too CG in XMOW when he first unsheathes them
I think the most noticeable scene was when he was in the bathroom at the old folks home. People were whispering how bad they looked in theater. They were just bad...

I agree, you can get an accurate depiction of Wolverine without an R rating. I'll never understand the obsession to have R ratings for comic book movies.

__________________
Believe In The Shield...

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #19
TheDarkKnight08
genius
 
TheDarkKnight08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Right here.
Posts: 2,178
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelia View Post
I think the most noticeable scene was when he was in the bathroom at the old folks home. People were whispering how bad they looked in theater. They were just bad...

I agree, you can get an accurate depiction of Wolverine without an R rating. I'll never understand the obsession to have R ratings for comic book movies.
I'll agree with this to an extent. Wolverine is the kind of character that begs for an R-rating, due to his nature in the comics. He's a violent, sadistic brute who has a righteous amount of honor and bravery, enough to call him a hero of sorts. Anything less is watered-down, especially with a PG-13 rating. Any popular, sucessful depiction of Wolverine from the comics portrays him in a violent manner where he's relentless and angry, with gore splattering everywhere. It doesn't need to be taken to a Saw-like extreme, but enough so the audience understand the grimy and violent world that Wolverine lends himself to.

The best way to fix Wolverine is to take away his need to cry and break down every 5 minutes and for him to be much more cenetered, while displaying a agressive state of mind, as well as a focus on what he believes is right. Having him bawl about his girlfriends and back down from fights, particualrly fights that last 2 minutes is a huge mistake. He needs to be agressive, with a dark sense of humor, and a character that can described as unstoppable. Not just because he's got an indestructable metal in his bones, but becase he's just that good at what he does, and will accept nothing less.

An even better way is to make X-MO:W a dream, and re-do his origin with a better director and Fox's now present need to no longer **** up their own movies, but dreams can't come true.

__________________
If any character has ever earned the right to enjoy a happy retirement, it is Bruce Wayne. Nolan ought to be commended for caring enough about the character and believing enough in his own vision to provide a definitive, satisfying ending to the story of an ordinary man who turned tragedy into the motivation to accomplish something extraordinary.
TheDarkKnight08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue
 
Blitzkrieg Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Under there
Posts: 7,153
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Wolverine is potentially the most violent character in all of comics. He was made to kill. I feel the movies have a real watered down version of him, like they're afraid to let him cut loose. An R rated Wolverine movie is the only interest I have in this dwindling X-franchise.

__________________
Apes--together--strong
Blitzkrieg Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #21
Karelia
We Are Groot
 
Karelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,921
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Yeah, I'd understand making Wolverine R. He is a violent character, it's just when people say that the movie will suck with a PG-13 rating and won't watch it because of the rating just annoys me. The rating isn't what will make or break a movie, at least to me.

If you go to the SHH main page and look at the Deadpool article, you'll see what I mean. It's ridiculous.

I agree with the crying part. xD

__________________
Believe In The Shield...

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #22
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 23,082
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

The R-rating ain't ever gonna happen, but they'll bring it up like a broken record every time the movies are mentioned. I'd love it, but it's pointless to keep thinking it will happen.

They need fix it by: making it longer (seriously, XMO was shorter than Toy Story 3), making it more violent, using better special effects (no more Roger Rabbit claws, please), and having a stronger, more cohesive story.

The sad part is, all of that should be obvious.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #23
BigSams50
J! E! T! S! JETS!
 
BigSams50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Agrinio, Greece (Formerly Fayetteville, NC)
Posts: 2,620
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

Better looking claws have to be a must. They were just horrific in XMO

__________________
J! E! T! S! JETS! JETS! JETS!
BigSams50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #24
Squidboy
Side-Kick
 
Squidboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 679
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

I guess Hood didn't want another set of montages after the opening credits, but it would've worked to the movie's advantage in the long run

Squidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #25
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 23,082
Default Re: how to fix wolverines character

A second montage wouldn't have worked, since it would have been just a few minutes after the opening credits montage (which was one of the best parts of the film). But just a more detailed scene, or maybe a second mission where you got to see the other characters show off their powers some more - especially Wolverine, since he didn't get to do anything in the scene we got, and got to see how it went bad to justify him leaving.

In the end, the Team X scene's only purpose was to show where the adamantium came from, and even that was really a vague explanation.

I actually thought the Team X scene went really well, it just need to be so much more.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.