View Poll Results: Greatest Composer of a Batman Film
Danny Elfman (Batman & Batman Returns) 56 67.47%
Elliot Goldenthal (Batman Forever & Batman and Robin) 2 2.41%
Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard (Batman Begins & The Dark Knight) 25 30.12%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
Rebel
Newbie First Class

Default Greatest Composer of a Batman Film!?

Batman & Batman Returns by Danny Elfman
Batman Forever & Batman and Robin by Elliot Goldenthal
Batman Begins & The Dark Knight by Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
2Serious

Default Re: Greatest Composer of a Batman Film!?

Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard (though i donīt know how much the latter was involved) for me.

His soundtrack "Why so serious", "Agent of Chaos" and "Molossus" is pinpoint of what Batman and Joker is. With "Why so serious" we have the slow, steady rise of that weird sound, and exploding to a twist of different sounds. This IS the Joker.

And as for "Molossus" we have this dark, pompous tones filled with mystery and also danger and fear.

2Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Serious View Post
Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard (though i donīt know how much the latter was involved) for me.

His soundtrack "Why so serious", "Agent of Chaos" and "Molossus" is pinpoint of what Batman and Joker is. With "Why so serious" we have the slow, steady rise of that weird sound, and exploding to a twist of different sounds. This IS the Joker.

And as for "Molossus" we have this dark, pompous tones filled with mystery and also danger and fear.
If you're familiar with their individual works it's extremely easy to tell who did what just by listening. I do think the Joker themes were class acts, they worked so organically. I never really liked Molosus though, it just sounded way too much like an outtake from Michael Bay's The Rock for my taste and not a BATMAN theme.

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
howl
thrash beyond death

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Serious View Post
With "Why so serious" we have the slow, steady rise of that weird sound
a cello was used for that part. love it.

DAMN YOU, SNYDER
howl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
El Payaso
Banned User

Elfman, no doubt. Batman theme and Waltz to the Death are the musical representation of the main characters if B89. The Catwoman theme is also very good.

But Zimmer and Newton Howard have made an excellent, excellent work so far.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
mongoose-mania
Gentleman

Elfman 100%. Actually 110%.

mongoose-mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
Crockett
With Teeth

Don't get me wrong, I really like Elfman scores on both Batman'89 and BR and they are always going to be classics. But there are just something I really like more on Zimmer's & Newton Howard's scores on BB and TDK.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
RustyCage
Come what may..

I greatly cherish Elfman's approach to mystery, you can literally feel Batman moving in the shadows to some of his music even when he's not on screen.

On the other hand, the new series has music that is unyielding, passionate, raw, dramatic, and suspenseful. I have listened to tracks like Molossus for days on end; it's a near-perfect summary of Batman in my opinion.

So both composers have done a gorgeous job, and while I feel Zimmer could approach mystery a bit more, he's approached more of Batman as a whole than Elfman did. I would wet my pants if they collaborated for Batman 3.

Last edited by RustyCage; 08-26-2010 at 11:51 AM.
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
Mister H.
I Saw A Broken Labyrinth

I like that Zimmer's scores enhance the moments on film. There is an organic wing flapping to much of the score, and there movements that remind one of a racing pulse, others that feel like they are breathing.

To me, Elfman's scores are fun, but they are too busy for my tastes and have that playful, carnival feel that turns me off.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Danny Elfman, out of this poll. But I feel that the best Batman composer ever was Shirley Walker.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #11
Ibn
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
Danny Elfman, out of this poll. But I feel that the best Batman composer ever was Shirley Walker.

As far as live action movies tho, Danny Elfman is so far ahead of the others it's unbelievable. It's not just the quality of the music either. He and Burton somehow managed to be so much on the same page that the actual score (not an edited version) coincided with what was on screen. He captures the tragedy and darkness of the Batman world perfectly.

Elliot Goldenthal had the misfortune of being associated with B/R. His score (especially the main theme) is adventurous and fun. Ideal for how Id imagine Denny O'neal's Batman theme would sound.

Zimmer and Howard, on the other hand, absolutely suck, imo. There is absolutely NO sense that they put their all into anything they've contributed so far. Every lick of it is boring, repetitive, and worst of all, simplistic. I'm a musician. And I work my ass off at what I do. I know that I would go the extra limb to at the very least, do some type of chord progression. Every so often I find myself sitting bored at the keyboard and I'll run my hand up and down hitting any random note, and end up playing a part of the BB/TDK score. That's how simple it is. Like the movie's themselves, and their Director, Zimmer and Howard's score is completely overrated.

"I know what you want. You want to be Batman!"
Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn View Post

As far as live action movies tho, Danny Elfman is so far ahead of the others it's unbelievable. It's not just the quality of the music either. He and Burton somehow managed to be so much on the same page that the actual score (not an edited version) coincided with what was on screen. He captures the tragedy and darkness of the Batman world perfectly.

Elliot Goldenthal had the misfortune of being associated with B/R. His score (especially the main theme) is adventurous and fun. Ideal for how Id imagine Denny O'neal's Batman theme would sound.

Zimmer and Howard, on the other hand, absolutely suck, imo. There is absolutely NO sense that they put their all into anything they've contributed so far. Every lick of it is boring, repetitive, and worst of all, simplistic. I'm a musician. And I work my ass off at what I do. I know that I would go the extra limb to at the very least, do some type of chord progression. Every so often I find myself sitting bored at the keyboard and I'll run my hand up and down hitting any random note, and end up playing a part of the BB/TDK score. That's how simple it is. Like the movie's themselves, and their Director, Zimmer and Howard's score is completely overrated.
You hit the nail on the head on that keyboard comment. That's how simple and how much thought was put into those scores by two A-list Hollywood composers. That's really sad. Batman deserved better.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
Hardknox
Side-Kick

Danny Elfman, 100%. His music for both Batman and Batman Returns was amazing. It really took you into that world and created dynamic and emotional motifs throughout. I love the build up, the soar ride it takes you on. It's absolutely great. It's one of the reasons why I love Batman, not just the Burton films, but Batman.

And I loved Shirley Walker's music in BTAS and Mask Of The Phantasm. Mask Of The Phantasm was epicly cool. The story was such a personal one, but that music just exploded it to crazy proportions.

I don't have many good things to say about the others, other than:

Although I'm not a big fan of Zimmer and Howard's score, WHEN that Heroic Batman motif comes in, the two-note thing, when it plays, it's damn impactful. They don't overdo it, so to me there's a sense of wanting to hear it blare out. When Batman takes down Falcone at the docks and afterwards he's standing on the rooftops, and you hear it blare out for the first time in all its glory, that was pretty damn good. Howard never disappoints me, so I was glad to hear he'd be apart of it.

I agree with the above poster's comments about Zimmer and Howard being a bit simplistic in their approach. These guys have always impressed me in the past but their Batman score has left something to be desired. The emotion invoked in the music seems artificial and forced. I didn't want to say negative things but there it is.

Last edited by Hardknox; 11-07-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Hardknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
Cain
"West West Y'all"

^ she's my favorite conductor especially her work with Elfman in the first Burton flick her BTAS compositions though while brilliant aren't as good as Elfman's to me. However they are the only ones that come close IMO.

So, Elfman without a shadow of a doubt. It's just pitch perfect, I read the comics that's the backdrop I'm rolling with. It's adventurous, whimsical & full of imaginative fantasy all at once. Not the intense action movie like stylings of Zimmer or Newton Howards ultra sensitive sounding compositions.

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Old 08-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #15
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
^ she's my favorite conductor especially her work with Elfman in the first Burton flick her BTAS compositions though while brilliant aren't as good as Elfman's to me. However they are the only ones that come close IMO.
Mask of the Phantasm is her crowning achievement. That alone rises above all the rest.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #16
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
Mask of the Phantasm is her crowning achievement. That alone rises above all the rest.
Yeah a lot of it especially during the latter Bruce and Andrea moments is too vibrantly effective to deny that score's power.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #17
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

I like Zimmer & JNH scores but Elfman's theme is the best.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
RustyCage
Come what may..

Yeah I sort of wish Walker was included in this, but that may have made it impossible to choose! Her music was brilliant. The classic intro to the show, Mask of the Phantasm. Man... I might rewatch Phantasm after I finish Dark Knight later.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #19
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Definitely Elfman.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #20
Frankenmation
Holier than thou

Elfman without a doubt. And maybe its just me but I actually prefer how the Batman theme sounds in Batman Returns over Batman 89, theres just seems to be more a build up and it sounds more eerie.

Frankenmation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #21
howl
thrash beyond death

Elfman. One of the reasons I love Burton's Batman films.

DAMN YOU, SNYDER
Old 08-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #22
Macphisto
Side-Kick

Elfman. The score in both B'89 and BR is like another character.

Zimmer and JNH's Batman scores reach dizzying heights, but are also rather generic in places (especially the action cues, which could quite easily have been written for a James Bond or Die Hard installment).

Last edited by Macphisto; 08-27-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Macphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:52 AM   #23
howl
thrash beyond death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macphisto View Post
Elfman. The score in both B'89 and BR is like another character.
well put

DAMN YOU, SNYDER
Old 12-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
BatmanGoesToRio
Side-Kick

Danny Elfman, hands down.

I like Zimmer's work in Begins and TDK (Joker's theme especially) as well but in TDKR (and sometimes in TDK) there was just too much score. I guess Zimmer is not the one to blame for that.

And the next Batman soundtrack should be composed by ENNIO MORRICONE, the greatest film composer of all times. This guy is so great that his film tracks are used frequently by different directors over the decades (i.e. Quentin Tarantino or the Kick-Ass scene when Hit-Girl dressed up as a little school girl).

Last edited by BatmanGoesToRio; 12-19-2012 at 02:04 PM.
BatmanGoesToRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #25
BigSams50
J! E! T! S! JETS!

Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard. I loved the score in TDK and BB