The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Question Batman vs the black Joker thug

It's probably the only fight in the movies where we see Batman physically matched and get beaten up by someone who's not a superior fighter like Catwoman and Ra's.

What did everyone think of this fight?

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Oddzball
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman vs the black Joker thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
It's probably the only fight in the movies where we see Batman physically matched and get beaten up by someone who's not a superior fighter like Catwoman and Ra's.

What did everyone think of this fight?
Link please. Not everyone sees what you see on the tube(?)

Until I read this I hadn't realized the curse that being Superman was.
Oddzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Th Confused Re: Batman vs the black Joker thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddzball View Post
Link please. Not everyone sees what you see on the tube(?)
I don't have a link for it on YouTube. Have you not seen Batman '89?

- The Joker
Old 09-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Oddzball
Side-Kick

Just a hint: When talking about something more than twenty years old, try giving it some context.

Until I read this I hadn't realized the curse that being Superman was.
Oddzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Just a hint: When talking about something more than twenty years old, try giving it some context.
You're on a superhero forum. Unless it's been 20 years since you've seen the movie, you'll know what fight scene I'm talking about.

- The Joker
Old 09-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
-Batman Forum? Check

-Misc Batman Films section? Check

-Black Joker thug? Check

I can now deduce that Joker(SHH member) is talking about the scene in B89(which is a Batman movie), where Batman was fighting a big Black Joker thug(there's your context) on top of the bell tower.

Now to answer the original question: Yeah, I loved this scene. I don't know if you're trying to say it bothered you, or if you liked it, but I loved the fight. Batman gets tossed around(literally), yet, was still able to defeat his opponent by throwing him down the bell tower(ZOMG, Batman killed people ).

Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
El Payaso
Banned User

I LOVE that scene. It's probably my favourite bat-fight ever. Not only had Batman a real challenge but the whole scene mixed very well the action and the humour. It was great how the fight had the Joker's waltz in the background and those hilarious Joker and Vicky's interventions.

And I was never bothered that Batman killed the thug in the end. It was a life or death situation.

Plus the whole bellfry background is simply perfect for a bat-like character.

The whole scene is epic for me. Not only the fight but the whole ascencion sequence also.

Quote:
Just a hint: Miscelaneous Batman Films forum.

You come here, you're supposed to have seen those movies.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
-Batman Forum? Check

-Misc Batman Films section? Check

-Black Joker thug? Check

I can now deduce that Joker(SHH member) is talking about the scene in B89(which is a Batman movie), where Batman was fighting a big Black Joker thug(there's your context) on top of the bell tower.
Thank you, gents

Geez, you'd think if you're hanging around the Misc Batman movies forum that you'd know what scene I'm talking about.

Quote:
Now to answer the original question: Yeah, I loved this scene. I don't know if you're trying to say it bothered you, or if you liked it, but I loved the fight. Batman gets tossed around(literally), yet, was still able to defeat his opponent by throwing him down the bell tower(ZOMG, Batman killed people ).
No, I loved this scene. But it sticks out because it's probably the only scene where Batman gets his ass handed to him, and it's not from a villain. Even other well trained thugs like the guy with the swords, or the Strongman in Returns never lasted long around Batman.

But this guy, using simple fisticuffs beat seven shades of s*** out of Batman. Where was the PREP TIME?!?!?

- The Joker
Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

Quote:
I LOVE that scene. It's probably my favourite bat-fight ever. Not only had Batman a real challenge but the whole scene mixed very well the action and the humour. It was great how the fight had the Joker's waltz in the background and those hilarious Joker and Vicky's interventions.

And I was never bothered that Batman killed the thug in the end. It was a life or death situation.

Plus the whole bellfry background is simply perfect for a bat-like character.

The whole scene is epic for me. Not only the fight but the whole ascencion sequence also.

I agree 100%.

LuisTX85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Must have been the shades.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
SuperFerret
This guy

Seen them or studied them? I watched Batman '89 again about two or three weeks ago. I don't remember most of it aside from the broad strokes of the plot. Small scenes like the one being discussed only stick out in the memories of the obsessive or those who've literally just seen it.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
Seen them or studied them? I watched Batman '89 again about two or three weeks ago. I don't remember most of it aside from the broad strokes of the plot. Small scenes like the one being discussed only stick out in the memories of the obsessive or those who've literally just seen it.
That's just a bad memory case man.

The scene is big, not a detail. But it is not strange to have people in this kind of forums who have seen the movies many times so they remember it.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
SuperFerret
This guy

Quote:
That's just a bad memory case man.

The scene is big, not a detail. But it is not strange to have people in this kind of forums who have seen the movies many times so they remember it.
Not really, and I really don't think that "Batman fights a black guy" figures big in the plot.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Not really, and I really don't think that "Batman fights a black guy" figures big in the plot.
Well it does. It's in the movie. Re-watch it.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Are you f***ing kidding me?? That fight scene is memorable, especially because of the music and it's rather humurous tone. It also goes on for a while. I bet most people at least remember Batman fighting some huge black guy at the end of the friggin' picture, even if they don't remember all the beats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack
Bombing the Axis Chemicals factory, Batman straight-up telling the Joker he's going to kill him simply out of vengeance, that kind of stuff. You could almost argue what Batman did with the thug was self-defense.
Once you've gone full terrorist, you can't go back.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of a Batman without that "one rule" yes, but I was wrong when I called what Batman did a trick. It wasn't.
It kind of was. But that's how Burton's Batman gets his kicks.

And so you're OK with "I won't kill you, but I will let you die a horrible death by train crash" instead of straight up killing then, yes?

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
Sky Captain
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
Are you f***ing kidding me?? That fight scene is memorable, especially because of the music and it's rather humurous tone. It also goes on for a while. I bet most people at least remember Batman fighting some huge black guy at the end of the friggin' picture, even if they don't remember all the beats.
Seriously.

It's not like Batman immediately found the Joker once he got up there. Stuff HAPPENED. The only way you miss something like that is if you got a sandwich or something, EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU SAW THE MOVIE.

Sky Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #17
Brother Jack
Onion Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
And so you're OK with "I won't kill you, but I will let you die a horrible death by train crash" instead of straight up killing then, yes?
I believe that moment was acceptable because Ra's had put himself in that position. He tells Batman before boarding the monorail that his fate would "lie with Gotham", meaning he was on a suicide mission. By the time Batman had subdued him the train couldn't have been stopped and there wasn't really a way for Batman to save Ghul and himself. The dialogue was iffy, but the circumstances were appropriate IMO.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #18
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
I believe that moment was acceptable because Ra's had put himself in that position. He tells Batman before boarding the monorail that his fate would "lie with Gotham", meaning he was on a suicide mission. By the time Batman had subdued him the train couldn't have been stopped and there wasn't really a way for Batman to save Ghul and himself. The dialogue was iffy, but the circumstances were appropriate IMO.
Actually, he said his "fight" lied with the rest of Gotham, but I can see how it could sound as "fate"

I'm sure the writers (Nolan and Goyer) could've come up with a way of getting Bats to save both Ra's and himself. I mean, kinda like what he did to save Rachel in TDK. My guess is, it was time for the movie to end, so they had to dispatch Ra's in some way. In true Batman movie fashion, Batman ends up getting his bat foe killed and we missed the opportunity to have a Magneto-like presence in the Batman films.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #19
Brother Jack
Onion Knight

I always thought the ending of that fight with Batman pulling the thug down the chasm was a little cheap, not to mention murderous.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #20
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
I always thought the ending of that fight with Batman pulling the thug down the chasm was a little cheap, not to mention murderous.
Cheap how?

And yes, Batman either killed him or clearly he was going to be killed.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
Brother Jack
Onion Knight

Quote:
Cheap how?

And yes, Batman either killed him or clearly he was going to be killed.
Cheap as in he had to trick him and pull him down the chasm instead of beating him in fisticuffs.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #22
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Cheap as in he had to trick him and pull him down the chasm instead of beating him in fisticuffs.
He tried to kill Batman . And almost thought he did. So it was self defense. It wasn't cheap. This guy was trying to kill him. You see how he was trying to take Batman's head off when he swung at him with the chains like three or four times. Batman was injured bad and didn't have time for games . The only thing that was on his mind other than staying alive was to kill the man that killed his parents which in this case was the Joker.You saw how he took the first guy out that was backflipping toward him with knives on his boots. Batman was driven to take down the Joker and nobody was going to stop him even in his weak condition .

Would you rather have the thug look down for Batman. Then the thug feels and sees Batmans shadow behind him. Then gets startled and starts falling off the ledge . Then Batman says to the thug as he's falling, "I don't have to kill you , but I don't have to save you. "

Lame.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:51 AM   #23
PyroChamber
W.B.B.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
You saw how he took the first guy out that was backflipping toward him with knives on his boots.
What did Batman do to that one guy? I always remember him just sticking his hand out but it was never really clear what he did?

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #24
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Batman didn't trick him, he improvised his situation. The thug pushed Batman down the shaft, he grabbed onto the ledge, and as the thug looked down, he grabbed his head with his legs.

Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #25
Brother Jack
Onion Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Batman didn't trick him, he improvised his situation. The thug pushed Batman down the shaft, he grabbed onto the ledge, and as the thug looked down, he grabbed his head with his legs.
You know, I actually forgot about that. So I guess it wasn't a trick, though I have never been a fan of Batman killing to vicariously. But to that end, that scene is acceptable compared to some of the other things he does in the film.