The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > Approval & General RPG Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,261
Default The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Got an idea on how to make the games better? Then sound off, here, in the RPG Soapbox!

Inspired by recent discussions between myself, Byrd, and Keyser Soze, this shall be an ongoing suggestion box of sorts. Where you, the players, get to help shape the RPG forums for the future generations to inherit our blood, sweat, and sticky socks.

So let's begin the discussion.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,342
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

The final season idea has merit. And the tv analogy is apt because, if the final season gets a huge influx of activity, it might merit not ending the game (like how Magnum PI was given a final season, and then brought back for another by viewer demand).

Unless every game is limited in length, continuity is always going to be an issue. But I think continuity not only gives games more meaning to writers, it can be a good challenge to new writers. The problem is, the history is never recorded and maintained anywhere. We have a great wiki for the games that is never kept up to date. All it would take is a paragraph or two at mid and end season about your character, but players (including myself) are too lazy or uninterested (or even ignorant of it) and don't keep it updated.

Right now in CaH, Hound is being awesome and going through and building a page by page summary of the game. That might be too much detail, but for someone like me who came in late in the game, and season, it'll be an invaluable resource.


Another idea would be to limit how long someone can keep a player. Maybe a two or three consecutive season limit, thereby giving new players a chance at their favorite characters. Even though I'm guilty of it for various reasons, a story shouldn't really take more than three seasons to tell. Now, a player could ask the GM if they can go longer, and if no one has shown interest in the character, keep it past three. But it might just be easier to have a static limit. If you can't get your ducks together to tell a story in three, then don't, or figure out a way to make it work.



I do like the idea of the single season games. New players have fun with their favorite characters, old players get to dabble in new stories. And, hopefully, by having fun with their favorite characters, they get the urge to play different characters in the main games.


What might also help to give new players a shot is that veteran players do not get first dibs on characters. Perhaps they should have to wait a week before applying for anyone so new players can have some fun (not sure how this would work with multi-season arcs).


Just a couple of ideas that popped into my head while reading this. I have others, but this isn't really the place for them.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,261
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

One of my first suggestions goes hand in hand with an IM chat I had with Byrd, which is that - going off of wieg's idea for a three season limit on characters - there should be an exception made in the case of player-created continuity. Players who have devoted their time and energy to building up a character from the beginning should be allowed to play that character as long as they want, be it a consistent player for One Universe, Ultimate DC, or Create-A-Hero (which goes without saying).

Now, in the case of big games? Different story. No matter the character, three seasons is more than enough ample time to play someone and keep it interesting. Both Byrd and I played Nightwing for a season and a half in World Of Heroes, and it felt both long and rewarding enough to quit after awhile and hand it off to someone else.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!
 
Keyser Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,988
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

As someone who has been playing The Joker for 7 seasons now, I shall hide quietly in the corner....

__________________
Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,261
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
As someone who has been playing The Joker for 7 seasons now, I shall hide quietly in the corner....
Surely you can't last three more years, you sick bastard!

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,454
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

I don't know about OU, but I pretty much have my mind made up about doing a finale next season in DC. This coming season will mark our ninth one. All good things come to an end and I really want to end it with a bang and then move on to a new DC RPG.

__________________
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
-- Thomas Paine


Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,342
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

I hadn't planned on keeping Sinestro for 5 seasons. I've been trying to wrap it up since the third, but things just wouldn't work out for whatever reason. And yet it ended up working perfectly when it did.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
SuperFerret
Cooler than your grandpa
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 33,753
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

I actually think that Create-a-Hero is the way of the future for these games, as it avoids the major issue that the big two have, which is "But I want to be Spider-Man!" But then there's schmucks like me who think, "well, maybe, one day, eventually, I'll be able to get SuperFerret published, so why expose that material to the obviously thief-filled internet before I have copyrights?"

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,454
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
I actually think that Create-a-Hero is the way of the future for these games, as it avoids the major issue that the big two have, which is "But I want to be Spider-Man!" But then there's schmucks like me who think, "well, maybe, one day, eventually, I'll be able to get SuperFerret published, so why expose that material to the obviously thief-filled internet before I have copyrights?"
I'll be honest: four years and a half into my time in the RPGs and superheroes and superhero stories are getting stale for me. That's why I've been into playing cops these past few years. I'm tired of being superheroes.

As much as I want to do a cops and robbers, or a western-themed RPG....those things don't last long on the hype. Other than the two big ones, nothing's lasted past a few seasons.

__________________
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
-- Thomas Paine


Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,342
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
I actually think that Create-a-Hero is the way of the future for these games, as it avoids the major issue that the big two have, which is "But I want to be Spider-Man!" But then there's schmucks like me who think, "well, maybe, one day, eventually, I'll be able to get SuperFerret published, so why expose that material to the obviously thief-filled internet before I have copyrights?"
Try using the Poor Man's Copyright. (Although, it doesn't work in the US, but it might work in the UK)

But, really, once you put your work on a tangible medium like paper, it's considered copyrighted.


And it looks like it only cost $35ish to register the copyright.
http://www.copyright.gov/docs/fees.html

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
SuperFerret
Cooler than your grandpa
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 33,753
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
Try using the Poor Man's Copyright. (Although, it doesn't work in the US, but it might work in the UK)

But, really, once you put your work on a tangible medium like paper, it's considered copyrighted.


And it looks like it only cost $35ish to register the copyright.
http://www.copyright.gov/docs/fees.html
I live in the US, so there goes the Poor Man's Copyright, and I know it's not expensive to have it done, but I've got to actually finish my first story before doing it. Also, I'm a perfectionist with a short-attention span.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,342
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
I live in the US, so there goes the Poor Man's Copyright, and I know it's not expensive to have it done, but I've got to actually finish my first story before doing it. Also, I'm a perfectionist with a short-attention span.
I don't think you have to wait until it's finished to register. Heck, the second you write the idea on a piece of scrap paper it's technically copyrighted anyway. But maybe you have to, I don't know.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
Catman_prb
Sad Clown
 
Catman_prb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Losing The Game
Posts: 4,744
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Personally I'd say three seasons seems a bit too long.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher View Post
**** went down.

It may or may not have also 'got real'.
Catman_prb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Anit-Matter Universe
Posts: 4,112
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Okay, so I really like the conversation between Keyser, MB, and Byrd.

I think the idea to close out all the majors is a great idea. But I also think there should be at least one continuing game in each section. I don't want to lose those great moments, and I don't want to lose the dedication people put into the characters they love, which shows in the amazing writing quality.

And with the one-shot or short term games, I don't think there should be more than 2 in each section. That way those don't die out like unattended cattle like the multitude of games we have now do. That way there is a small sample size for newbies to choose from, and restricts veterans from over extending themselves. Also, every game should be brought forth in the ideas thread, rather than having a thread for every idea.

As for character term limits, I think 2 seasons should be the max. 3 is a ton. I've been here for like 3 years at this point, and I've only done 3 seasons in OU, which is my one major game. If it wasn't for a stroke of luck, I never would have been able to get Spider-man, and I'd hate to have to wait 3 seasons to get the chance in a new game.

Overall, I think we've got a great core of posters here, and there's no reason why we can't get more. This is a fixable problem we have here, and smart people to fix it. I don't think we'll have a problem.

__________________

Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #15
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,342
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage27 View Post
Okay, so I really like the conversation between Keyser, MB, and Byrd.

I think the idea to close out all the majors is a great idea. But I also think there should be at least one continuing game in each section. I don't want to lose those great moments, and I don't want to lose the dedication people put into the characters they love, which shows in the amazing writing quality.

And with the one-shot or short term games, I don't think there should be more than 2 in each section. That way those don't die out like unattended cattle like the multitude of games we have now do. That way there is a small sample size for newbies to choose from, and restricts veterans from over extending themselves. Also, every game should be brought forth in the ideas thread, rather than having a thread for every idea.

As for character term limits, I think 2 seasons should be the max. 3 is a ton. I've been here for like 3 years at this point, and I've only done 3 seasons in OU, which is my one major game. If it wasn't for a stroke of luck, I never would have been able to get Spider-man, and I'd hate to have to wait 3 seasons to get the chance in a new game.

Overall, I think we've got a great core of posters here, and there's no reason why we can't get more. This is a fixable problem we have here, and smart people to fix it. I don't think we'll have a problem.
And yet 2 seasons sounds too short

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #16
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,454
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
And yet 2 seasons sounds too short
You want Jim Gordon?! You'll have to pry him out of my cold, dead hands!

__________________
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
-- Thomas Paine


Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #17
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse
 
Carnage27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Anit-Matter Universe
Posts: 4,112
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
And yet 2 seasons sounds too short
Well, if we had season lengths, I wouldn't mind 3. But the way this past OU season has been going, 3 seasons would take half a lifetime.

__________________

Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #18
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,342
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage27 View Post
Well, if we had season lengths, I wouldn't mind 3. But the way this past OU season has been going, 3 seasons would take half a lifetime.
Very true. Season 1 of Star Wars is over a year old now.


With the short, definite arc-games idea that's been brought up, I say make each game last only one season. Now, if the game is going along great, with lots of activity, that's when the GM considers extending it another year, and even then it doesn't necessarily have to be extended at all. Leave them wanting more, and all that.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #19
SuperFerret
Cooler than your grandpa
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 33,753
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Personally, I'd say, shut yer whore mouth!

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #20
SuperFerret
Cooler than your grandpa
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 33,753
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Personally, I'm in love with the mythology of the superhero, and I think that there's no limit to the stories one can tell within that scope.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #21
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,261
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
Personally, I'm in love with the mythology of the superhero, and I think that there's no limit to the stories one can tell within that scope.
Agreed.

That said, I personally have more fun with characters that I looked up to as a kid rather than characters that I'd make myself. I really haven't had a great luck with my short-lived CAH characters.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #22
Blacklight
Revamped and Renegade.
 
Blacklight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East City
Posts: 6,788
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Create-A-Hero's not getting canned is it?

Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #23
SuperFerret
Cooler than your grandpa
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 33,753
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

I'd prefer to have the idea fully finished before considering getting it copyrighted.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #24
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro
 
Byrd Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: America
Posts: 21,454
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

What about these short-term RPGs? How long should they be, exactly? Most seasons we have last anywhere from a year to maybe two years. Some, like CAH and Star Wars, go longer. How long do they need to be to make sure everyone stays active and into them while making sure to tell a well-rounded story?

__________________
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
-- Thomas Paine


Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #25
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Gotham City, NJ
Posts: 19,261
Default Re: The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
What about these short-term RPGs? How long should they be, exactly? Most seasons we have last anywhere from a year to maybe two years. Some, like CAH and Star Wars, go longer. How long do they need to be to make sure everyone stays active and into them while making sure to tell a well-rounded story?
I think that's another thing that should be addressed, actually. How long each season lasts. Maybe we should establish a set maximum limit in terms of time? Like nine months or so. I'd say six months, but it seems a little shorthanded.


Last edited by Batman; 11-29-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.