The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 02-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Arrow Official ASTONISHING X-MEN Discussion Thread

Astonishing X-Men

Creative Team: Warren Ellis(writer) & Phil Jimenez(artist)

Team Members: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Storm, Beast, Wolverine, Armor

Storyline Info:

Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Default Re: Official ASTONISHING X-MEN Discussion Thread

Astonishing X-Men: Xenogenesis #5

Story by Warren Ellis
Art by Kaare Andrews
Colors by Frank D'Armata
Letters by VC - Joe Caramagna
Cover by Kaare Andrews
Publisher Marvel Comics
Cover Price: $3.99
Release Date Wed, February 16th, 2011

The truth behind the mutant babies of Karere township is discovered -- an innocent man who might also doom the town, if not the whole of Africa, by accident. The X-Men have to put themselves between two armies to save a mutant who might not be worth saving...

Old 02-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #38
Written by CHRISTOS GAGE
Pencils by TBA
Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA
“MEANWHILE”
Cyclops, Emma, Wolverine and Armor are off in Japan dealing with giant monsters. Meanwhile, something dire happens that demands the attention of the X-Men. With their leaders away, should the X-Men deny their help? HELL NO! Storm, Colossus and Kitty Pryde join Beast and Agent Brand to take on the Brood. But when intergalactic law prevents the destruction of an enemy who can only be defeated by extermination, the X-Men have a problem. Are Storm and her crew up to the task? And what is Cyclops going to say when he learns of this? This adventure takes place at the same time as the MONSTROUS arc concurrently happening in Astonishing X-Men in a way never before seen!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

has Xenogenesis been good? i liked the first issue but i wanted to wait til the trade comes out to read the whole story.

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Eh, it's decent from what I remember. I'd say the trade wait is the smarter way to go since it's hard to remember all that happened with all the space between the issues.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Generation Lee
Side-Kick

Well the last panel made up for what was a way too long mini issue 4 made no sense truthfully I wouldn't bother with the trade until it came down in price.

Generation Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #36

Written by DANIEL WAY

Pencils & Cover by JASON PEARSON

Variant Cover by MICHAEL KALUTA

“MONSTROUS,” PART 1

Not all monsters are easy to spot -- some of them live among us, undetected or long forgotten. Some of them live inside us, in the dark corners of our hearts, feeding on our secret fears of loss. But in the Marvel Universe, most of them live on Monster Island. Or, at least, they did. A mysterious exodus is underway; monsters spilling onto nearby shores – with catastrophic results – and it falls upon a small group of X-Men to both save the population from destruction and to solve an imposing riddle: What are monsters afraid of? New series writer Daniel Way (Deadpool) is joined by superstar artist Jason Pearson to bring you a widescreen, mega blockbuster story filled with classic Kirby monsters, heart-stopping revelations and over-the-top action!

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Something interesting is happening in Astonishing X-Men come issue #38 this May. As announced last month, writer Christos Gage and artist Juan Bobillo are coming on board the title — though that doesn’t mean that the current team of Daniel Way and Jason Pearson are leaving.
The two creative teams will be telling two different stories of two different X-teams, both happening concurrently, and both happening right in the midst of current X-Men continuity. While in the past Astonishing X-Men had been, for the most part, separate from current goings-on in the other X-titles, the comic will now be integrated much closer with the rest of Marvel’s publishing line.
Newsarama caught up with Gage via e-mail to learn about his take on the X-Men roster he’s working with, revisiting Agent Brand — a character who originally debuted in the pages of Astonishing X-Men — and collaborating with Bobillo, the former She-Hulk artist making his return to Marvel Comics with this series.
Newsarama: Christos, you've written the X-Men before in titles like Spider-Man/X-Men and World War Hulk: X-Men, but this is your first time on one of the main X-titles. How exciting is this assignment for you?

Christos Gage: Very exciting. When I was a kid, Uncanny X-Men was my favorite comic — the one that really got me hooked, in the Claremont/Byrne era — and Astonishing is kind of the spiritual heir to that book, given the cast it focuses on. I’m getting to write a lot of my favorites – Kitty, Lockheed, Colossus, Storm, Beast. And Agent Brand is really a lot of fun to write as well... she’s like the grizzled military veteran, like Nick Fury, but she’s a woman and half-alien, which kind of turns the clichés on their head.

Nrama: One thing I'm also curious about is the unconventional way Astonishing X-Men is moving forward, with you and Daniel Way both telling stories of two different teams. Do the two stories interact with each other — y'know, like little things from one are reflected in the other, and reading them both adds up to a larger tapestry?

Gage: In the subtle way you describe, yes. You could read one storyline or the other and follow them easily as their own standalone tales. But they take place at the same time, and there are little nods to each other. For instance, in Daniel’s first issue, which has already come out, there are a few panels where the X-Men are fighting holographic Brood creatures in the Danger Room, and in my story they fight the actual Brood. In my script, the characters make reference to the fact that Cyclops is in Japan, while referring to the tension that currently exists between him and Beast. So it’s definitely a “larger tapestry” thing, though both stories stand on their own as well.

Nrama: Let's look at the line up you're working with — Beast sticks out first, because in recent years he's broken ranks with Cyclops and has taken up with the Secret Avengers. So does his presence here mean a reconciliation with Cyclops or that this mission is something Scott may not even be involved in?

Gage: No, Scott is in Japan. They’re separate missions. Though given they’re going up against the Brood, Beast might wish Scott was along! My approach to Beast is sort of a hybrid of the jokester he was in Avengers and the genius scientist he’s been in the X-Men. I see those facets as all part of the same complex personality.

Nrama: Moving from Beast to a character he's been closely associated with, we've also got Agent Brand from S.W.O.R.D. in the comic. She's definitely been one of the more colorful additions to the Marvel Universe in the last decade (that's not a green hair joke, honestly), what made you want to include her in the story?

Gage: Well, for one thing, it makes sense from a story standpoint. Her agency, S.W.OR.D., is tasked with protecting Earth from alien incursions (as well as diplomatic relations with friendly extraterrestrials). So if you’re going to use the Brood, it makes sense she’d be in the thick of it. And she’s Beast’s girlfriend, and Lockheed works for her, so there are character-based reasons as well. But really, she’s just fun to write. A no-nonsense, take-no-crap kind of woman.

Nrama: Storm has the most leadership experience of this X-Men lineup. Will she be stepping up and taking charge in this story?

Gage: Yes, she instinctively takes a leadership role often, although that’s a position Brand is accustomed to as well, so that could get awkward. Storm isn’t really the drill sergeant type — this is a pretty veteran group — but she is definitely the natural field leader. And she’s had first-hand experience with the Brood, as has most of our cast, back in the memorable Claremont/Cockrum/Paul Smith stories.

Nrama: Another character introduced in Giant-Size X-Men #1, Colossus, has been a fan-favorite for decades. Beyond the obvious physical capabilities, what makes him an important part of this team?

Gage: He’s really the rock of the X-Men, and not just in the sense of his strength and durability. They know that he’ll take on anything that comes their way and never give up. Most of the characters in this lineup, Peter included, share similar values in terms of being honorable, heroic, compassionate people... so it’s interesting to see them up against the Brood, when all that kind of has to go out the window and their values are really put to the test.

Nrama: Looks like Kitty Pryde and Lockheed will be reuniting here — how vital is their role in the story?

Gage: Yes! At long last, Kitty and Lockheed will meet again... and given how they parted, when Kitty found out Lockheed had been a double agent spying for S.W.O.R.D., it could be awkward. But their role in the story is crucial. Lockheed may be the one enemy the Brood fear most... he and Kitty first met on the Brood homeworld, where Lockheed had been stranded and taken on a role as sort of a boogeyman to the Brood, hunting and preying upon them. And Kitty, stuck as she is in her intangible state, is actually the one character immune to being infected or poisoned by the Brood. So they’ll be very important.

Nrama: And a definitely very exciting part of this project is hearing that the very unique styles of Juan Bobillo is on art. Obviously it's early, but what are your expectations for what he's bringing to the mix?

Gage: I was a huge fan of Juan’s on Dan Slott’s She-Hulk series. He’s been away from American comics for a bit, and I’m thrilled he’s coming back with this story. Aside from the obvious terrific character work, which is essential for this particular story, I can’t wait to see him draw the Brood! Juan is really an “artist’s artist” in that fellow professionals really respect his work, and I think readers are going to see why. I definitely want to give him room to strut his stuff.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/chri...en-110307.html

Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
UraniaChang
''Oculus Superior''

Kind of into Armor these days, she's more interesting than Jubilee imho.

Resolue, dumb, uncomplaining, a man in a world of men.
UraniaChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #39
Written by DANIEL WAY
“MONSTROUS”
Mentallo has taken over Monster Island and is controlling the minds of all the inhabitants. He already sent Fin Fang Foom to tear apart Tokyo, but what are his plans for the rest? And can three X-Men and one X-Man-In-Training stop a dozen mind-controlled monsters if Emma can’t get in Mentallo’s head? And if that’s not enough, one of the X-Men is changed forever. This is not a what-if, it is for real!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 03-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

In the early '90s, Marvel Comics' X-Men team had grown large enough to split into two separate groups. The adventures of the "Blue" team ,which consisted of Cyclops, Rogue, Wolverine, Psylocke, Beast and Gambit unfolded in the then-newly launched "X-Men" series, while the exploits of the "Gold" team of Storm, Archangel, Colossus, Bishop, Jean Grey and Iceman were chronicled in "Uncanny X-Men." Each group would have their own adventures while only occasionally overlapping. It was a short but fan-favorite era of X-Men history.

These days, the X-Men's roster has become even bigger than during the Blue and Gold era. thanks to most of the world's remaining mutants now living on the X-Men's island-based mutant sanctuary, Utopia. Chances are, if you live on Utopia you're a member of the X-Men or one one of its related teams. In the current "Monstrous" arc of "Astonishing X-Men," by writer Daniel Way and artist Jason Pearson, the X-Team composed of Cyclops, Wolverine, Emma Frost and Armor are embroiled in an adventure that's taken them to dangerous locale known as Monster Island.

What happens, however, when second crisis arises that demands the X-Men's immediate attention? That question is answered in May's "Astonishing X-Men" #38, which kicks of a parallel story by writer Christos Gage and artist Juan Bobillo that stars Storm, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Beast, Agent Brand of S.W.O.R.D. and Lockheed the dragon. CBR News spoke with Gage about the story which will rotate with Way's story on an issue by issue basis.

CBR News: Christos, you've written the X-Men playing off other characters before like Spider-Man and the Hulk. What's it like to be tackling a book where the spotlight is firmly on the team? Intimidating? Fun? Or a little bit of both?

Christos Gage: A bit of both -- this is a title that's had some pretty serious talent work on it in the past, so it's certainly intimidating to follow them -- but mostly fun. I grew up on the Claremont/Byrne X-Men -- that's what got me hooked on comics. "Astonishing" focuses on many of those characters, so it was a dream come true for me to write it. And getting to script the Kitty/Lockheed reunion was wonderful. The stories where they met, fought the Brood and first interacted are some of the most fondly remembered comics of my life.

These days, the cast of characters who can be considered X-Men is quite huge. How did you go about choosing your individual X-Men members for this story? Did you aim mainly for characters you just really wanted to write, or were other factors involved as well?

Well, the roster was dictated by looking at the traditional cast of "Astonishing X-Men," minus the ones appearing in Daniel Way's story that occurs at the same time. It just happens that the "Astonishing" characters are the X-Men I'm most attached to -- which isn't really a surprise, because Joss Whedon chose the cast and he and I grew up loving the same comics. Agent Brand is the exception -- she's a new character he created. He might just know a thing or two about creating interesting characters, because she's a lot of fun to write as well.

In addition to your three X-Men, you also have Beast, Lockheed and Agent Brand who are agents of the intelligence agency known as S.W.O.R.D. It's been a while since we've checked in with that organization. So how are things running with S.W.O.R.D. when your story begins? Is Beast making like other Marvel heroes and splitting his time between S.W.O.R.D. and Steve Rogers' Secret Avengers team? Or is he pulled back into S.W.O.R.D. for the events of this story?

S.W.O.R.D. is continuing with its mission of being the "border police" between Earth and extraterrestrial beings, really protecting both sides from each other and engaging in diplomatic activity with visitors to our planet. Beast is a member of both S.W.O.R.D. and the Avengers, much in the same way Spider-Woman is. Unlike Brand, he doesn't go to work in space everyday, but when he's needed, he responds to the call. And he's definitely needed now.

How would you describe the dynamic between the three X-Men and the three S.W.O.R.D. agents when they come together? I imagine it might be a bit contentious since Beast left the X-Men in anger and Kitty and Lockheed haven't seen each other in a while. Or is this a reunion of old friends?

Beast's conflict is really with Cyclops, so there isn't a ton of friction with the X-Men he's teaming with here. With Kitty and Lockheed, it's a different story. She found out he was deceiving her, working as a double agent for S.W.O.R.D. without telling her, and that felt like a betrayal. Then she got stuck on that giant bullet. So they haven't spoken since, even though she's been back on Earth for a bit. I think that right there shows there's some residual tension between them. Their reunion was one of the major draws of the story for me. I loved writing that scene!

Overall, what is your story about, whose perspective is it told from and how many parts is it?

It's about the greater good conflicting with the needs of individuals and the hard choices we have to make. It's about the nature of evil and how we respond to it. It's from all our heroes' perspectives and it's three issues.

The Brood are the antagonists of your story. What do you find most interesting about these characters and what what is it that makes the Brood good foils for your protagonists?

The Brood are fantastic villains because they're slimy, horrible killing machines who like to infect people with their larvae and watch them suffer an agonizing death as they turn into baby Brood creatures. That's awesome villain material right there. What is extra-compelling to me is, in this story, we're going to see that the old standby method of dealing with the Brood -- kill 'em all -- will not fly. I don't want to get into spoilers, but anyone expecting the standard Brood story is in for a surprise.

Since the Brood are involved, is this a story that takes place in outer space or is the action Earthbound?

It takes place in space, in orbit -- with the constant threat that it might spread to Earth!

Who are some of the important supporting players in this story? Specifically, will we see any of the characters from Kieron Gillen's "S.W.O.R.D." series?

Aside from Lockheed and Brand, there aren't going to be any supporting characters from that series -- there'll be S.W.O.R.D. agents, but not ones we've previously seen. The cast was big enough already!

What do you feel Juan Bobillo brings to your story as an artist?

Well, anyone who's read his "She-Hulk" stories with Dan Slott knows Juan has a distinctive style that excels in expressing character,which is crucial for a story like this. What I'm looking forward to is giving him some moments to really cut loose with action/horror elements, which I think will be a revelation to American readers.

He's an artist's artist, someone other professionals have a ton of respect for and I look forward to seeing what he does with this story. I can't wait to see his take on the Brood!

How would you describe the tone of this story? It seems like you're dealing with a tale that could be described in Hollywood speak as "X-Men" Meets James Cameron's "Aliens."

Well, I think the similarities between the Ridley Scott/James Cameron Aliens and the Brood are clear, and the story definitely begins with that kind of feel. But as I've alluded to, I wanted to do more than a "heroes hunted on a spaceship by horrible alien monsters" story. Not that there's anything wrong with those, but we've all seen it before and I thought of an interesting twist to it that ties into established Marvel continuity, so things are going to veer off the established path by our second issue. Of course, there will be some creepy alien moments along the way. I'm not made of stone.

Are you interested in sticking around and telling some more "Astonishing X-Men' stories?

Oh, I could always tell more stories with these characters if they want me back. I love these characters and I'm thrilled to be apart of this book and this story -- I hope readers enjoy it!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=31556

Old 04-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #40
Written by CHRISTOS GAGE
Penciled by JUAN BOBILLO
I AM CAPTAIN AMERICA VARIANT BY Ed McGuinness
“MEANWHILE” Part 2 (of 3).
The Brood are terrorizing the X-Men again, but wiping out the terrifying parasitic aliens isn’t an option as they are an Endangered Species. Oh, and Agent Brand has been infected. Christos Gage (AVENGERS ACADEMY) and Juan Bobillo (SHE-HULK) bring you part 2 of the alternating story arc of the most thought-provoking X-Book!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 AM   #13
UraniaChang
''Oculus Superior''

I don't suppose this is how she looks without makeup....

Resolue, dumb, uncomplaining, a man in a world of men.
UraniaChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
The Englishman
Marching On Together

So for X-Men books we have Uncanny X-Men, X-Men Legacy, X-Men, X-Force and 2 versions of Astonishing X-Men and still Iceman is not on a team. Why does no writer give him any love??

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #37
Written by DANIEL WAY
“MONSTROUS,” PART 2 OF 4
When the monstrous Fing Fang Foom attacks Tokyo, the X-Men head into action! While the Children of the Atom do battle with the reptilian menace that is Foom, Armor contends with matters of a more personal nature. Can the X-Men save Tokyo without losing Armor? Plus, a treacherous plot involving Roxxon Oil is brewing on Monster Island!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #38

Written by CHRISTOS GAGE

Pencils by TBA

“MEANWHILE”

Cyclops, Emma, Wolverine and Armor are off in Japan dealing with giant monsters. Meanwhile, something dire happens that demands the attention of the X-Men. With their leaders away, should the X-Men deny their help? HELL NO! Storm, Colossus and Kitty Pryde join Beast and Agent Brand to take on the Brood. But when intergalactic law prevents the destruction of an enemy who can only be defeated by extermination, the X-Men have a problem. Are Storm and her crew up to the task? And what is Cyclops going to say when he learns of this? This adventure takes place at the same time as the MONSTROUS arc concurrently happening in Astonishing X-Men in a way never before seen!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

thats a REALLY shaggy Beast...

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #18
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #41
Written by DANIEL WAY
Pencils by NICK BRADSHAW
Cover by SALVADOR LAROCCA
“MONSTROUS”
The epic story pitting the X-Men and the Marvel Monsters comes to a startling conclusion! Rising star Nick Bradshaw (UNCANNY X-MEN ANNUAL) joins writer Daniel Way (DEADPOOL) to bring you the most exciting monster fight ever shown in a comic.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 05-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #19
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

I haven't been reading Way's whatever, but I'll happily pick up some Gage.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #20
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

It all still looks like "zzzzzzzzzzzz"

Old 05-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #21
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Gage's first issue was actually pretty good. I'd recommend it for the Kitty and Lockheed interaction alone.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #22
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Spoons would know Gage was a good writer if he wasn't such a noob.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #23
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

You are the nub here, sir. Gage is cool and all, but these AXM adventures seem so non cannon. I don't want to read about supplemental adventures. I need all 5 X-book to mesh and reference each other!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #24
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

So needy!

I didn't think you were a woman.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #25
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

My demands are few