The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
theman
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 219
Default Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

say what you will about Batman Forever or joel schumacher, but there is absolutly no denying that the the merchandising for batman forever was the best the franchise has ever had. BATMAN may have done better at the box office but there was hardly any good merchandise or toys for the film as the studio wasnt prepared for the mega hit it turned out to be. Batman Returns did do better this time and did have a nice toy collection by kenner along with a mcdonalds deal and all that but the film wasnt exactly the kind of film you could market well with kids and the toy line while it had a few cool vehicles, alot of it was just repaints and the penguin figure was terrible and just a superpowers repaint.

however with Batman Forever, not only did schumacher give the proper licenses to all the major companies, but then you had ALL that cool stuff at the warner brothers studio store, all the different flashy gizmo's, tin cans, those amazing glass mugs at mcdonalds, but the truly amazing bit of merchandising was Kenner's line of figures toys vehicles and playsets. it was HUGE.completely new sculpts with awsome looking and creative batamn variants, almost every figure was a different bodysculpt and there were plenty of new villian figures and sculpts, some 2 packs with movie accurate weapons, others with very neat gadgets and sculpts. then the vehicles, the film had 3, the batnmobile, batplane and batboat, which were so incredibly awsome looking and had LOTS of detail, cool electronic features or transforming ability. then you had that HUGE tri-level playset that had all the new sculpts and wasnt just a repaint of the Returns playset (which they also had as well). it was an amazing run of toys that even the more toyetic batman and robin couldnt out do.

theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck
 
Indy1Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Batfleck Cave
Posts: 2,244
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Yeah, I still have a Riddler And Batman Glasses From Mc D's

__________________
I am Batfleck
My deviantart page.
http://indy1jones2.deviantart.com/
Indy1Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
eledoremassis02
Side-Kick
 
eledoremassis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: East Coast (USA)
Posts: 1,134
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcVRqAo-bzg

__________________
When the last vampire are extinct, who will mourn our passing? Will she? Will anyone? Can anyone understand this pain, this loneliness?
eledoremassis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue
 
Blitzkrieg Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Under there
Posts: 7,052
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Of course it did, the movie itself was damn toy commercial.

__________________
Apes--together--strong
Blitzkrieg Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
Of course it did, the movie itself was damn toy commercial.
True.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
theman
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 219
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
Of course it did, the movie itself was damn toy commercial.

i think your talking about batman and robin actually.

batman forever gets unfair treatment i think, it tends to get lumped in with B&R but the truth is batman forever had more depth and a better story, some even say its arguably a better batman movie then the previous 2 because it concentrated more on the hero rather then just the villians. you also have to remember how well Forever did back in the day, it was the "most lucrative picture of the year", which i had no idea it was that successful. if it was as rediculous as B&R was then it wouldnt have done well at all, but schumacher held back a bit in Forever and still seemed to retain some of the darkness of tim burtons movies while defiently livening it up and adding color and making the movie alot bigger and brighter. i guess im a fan of the black with blue lights underneath, all the vehicles had that ribbing with the blue underneath with that giant fin on the back, i though that was cool. it didnt get so ultra cheesy rediculousness like in B&R with that all-white ice thing and the batmobile haveing red strobe lights in the front with NO HOOD. nothing in B&R looked like anything batman would use. THAT movie was a toy commercial. yeaha forever had the "ill get drive through" line and theres no doubt Forever was more commercialized then the previous 2 but that didnt detract it seems from its popularity and even now, i find that funny and so 90's but still its a great fun movie to me and wasnt at all "just a toy commercial". that kind of comment should be reserved for B&R only.


Last edited by theman; 04-29-2011 at 08:14 AM.
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue
 
Blitzkrieg Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Under there
Posts: 7,052
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
i think your talking about batman and robin actually.

batman forever gets unfair treatment i think, it tends to get lumped in with B&R but the truth is batman forever had more depth and a better story, some even say its arguably a better batman movie then the previous 2 because it concentrated more on the hero rather then just the villians. you also have to remember how well Forever did back in the day, it was the "most lucrative picture of the year", which i had no idea it was that successful. if it was as rediculous as B&R was then it wouldnt have done well at all, but schumacher held back a bit in Forever and still seemed to retain some of the darkness of tim burtons movies while defiently livening it up and adding color and making the movie alot bigger and brighter. i guess im a fan of the black with blue lights underneath, all the vehicles had that ribbing with the blue underneath with that giant fin on the back, i though that was cool. it didnt get so ultra cheesy rediculousness like in B&R with that all-white ice thing and the batmobile haveing red strobe lights in the front with NO HOOD. nothing in B&R looked like anything batman would use. THAT movie was a toy commercial. yeaha forever had the "ill get drive through" line and theres no doubt Forever was more commercialized then the previous 2 but that didnt detract it seems from its popularity and even now, i find that funny and so 90's but still its a great fun movie to me and wasnt at all "just a toy commercial". that kind of comment should be reserved for B&R only.
The Batmobile drives up a wall.

__________________
Apes--together--strong
Blitzkrieg Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
theman
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 219
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
The Batmobile drives up a wall.

and a motorcycle magically pops out of the batmobile in TDK. and the batmobile can fit through a tiny alleyway in Returns. so your point is...

theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue
 
Blitzkrieg Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Under there
Posts: 7,052
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
and a motorcycle magically pops out of the batmobile in TDK. and the batmobile can fit through a tiny alleyway in Returns. so your point is...
That's like typical James Bond stuff. In Batman Forever, the Batmobile DRIVES UP A ****ING WALL. An adult wrote that. Now I'm done talking about it.

__________________
Apes--together--strong
Blitzkrieg Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!
 
DaRkVeNgeanCe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,825
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

it was great marketing I still have alot of BF merch still part of my collection. I remember the first time I saw the film logo (riddler question mark surrounding the bat) it was truly iconic.

__________________
MY VIDEO REVIEW SHOW: EPIC FILM GUYS
www.youtube.com/epicfilmguysny www.facebook.com/epicfilmguys
1939-2014: 75 YEARS OF THE BATMAN
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck
 
Indy1Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Batfleck Cave
Posts: 2,244
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
it was great marketing I still have alot of BF merch still part of my collection. I remember the first time I saw the film logo (riddler question mark surrounding the bat) it was truly iconic.
Yeah It was. I Had That Hat.

__________________
I am Batfleck
My deviantart page.
http://indy1jones2.deviantart.com/
Indy1Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

"It's better than B&R" is not exactly the praise of the century.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck
 
Indy1Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Batfleck Cave
Posts: 2,244
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

If I'm Wrong Ok. But I Think BF Grossed More Than BR.

__________________
I am Batfleck
My deviantart page.
http://indy1jones2.deviantart.com/
Indy1Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #14
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!
 
DaRkVeNgeanCe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,825
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1Jones View Post
If I'm Wrong Ok. But I Think BF Grossed More Than BR.
it did, but BR was still one of the top 3 grossing films the year it was released.

__________________
MY VIDEO REVIEW SHOW: EPIC FILM GUYS
www.youtube.com/epicfilmguysny www.facebook.com/epicfilmguys
1939-2014: 75 YEARS OF THE BATMAN
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1Jones View Post
If I'm Wrong Ok. But I Think BF Grossed More Than BR.
And Transformers 2 made more than both.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #16
Catman
Banned User
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 29,050
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

And the summer's biggest movie.

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
Spoonman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 390
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

^Actually, the whole "driving up the wall" thing (for a few seconds as you just said, no less) I didn't know it was such a big deal before the Internet. I agree is not fair to single out Forever.

Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #18
theman
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 219
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
^Actually, the whole "driving up the wall" thing (for a few seconds as you just said, no less) I didn't know it was such a big deal before the Internet. I agree is not fair to single out Forever.
thankfully someone has some sense around here. alot of internet nerds seem to have this very self righteous attitude, i dont get it. that scene was boss, and was a hell of a lot cooler looking then driving on roofs.

theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #19
Spoonman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 390
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

^As a Batman fan, I never really lost sleep over how much money Transformers 2 did, but thanks for the info I guess.

Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #20
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
^As a Batman fan, I never really lost sleep over how much money Transformers 2 did, but thanks for the info I guess.
As movies fan you might know that money and quality go through different paths.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #21
Spoonman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 390
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
As movies fan you might know that money and quality go through different paths.
I would like to know were I stated that I didn't know such thing, the poster you repsonded to didn't seem to imply that BF was of higher quality than BR, just that BF seemed to be more acepted by the GA than BR. How much money T2 made bears little significance as this is about the Batman franchise.

Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #22
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
I would like to know were I stated that I didn't know such thing,
You didn't, that's why I wasn't replying to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
the poster you repsonded to didn't seem to imply that BF was of higher quality than BR, just that BF seemed to be more acepted by the GA than BR.
If that's true then we agree. Great.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #23
Spoonman
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 390
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
If that's true then we agree. Great.
Ok, sounds good.

As to the poster saying that misses Burton Batman, gosh do I miss it too! I think I didn't realised how much I missed it until I re-watched some scenes of B89 some months ago, the atmosphere, Keaton's perfomance, Nicholson Joker, Batmovil, Gotham , DAT BATSUIT (I could go on and on). It was way better than I remembered it. I guess to much watching the Nolan's films (which I like, don't get me wrong) caused that impresion on me.

Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #24
Bruce_Wayne29
Side-Kick
 
Bruce_Wayne29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3,101
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Yeah but Batman Returns made much more money on tv, vhs & dvd rentals & buys, and now it's also turning a good profit in blu-ray, so in the end BR ended making much more money for the studio.

__________________
SAVE US TOM WELLING !
KEATON AND CAVIEZEL FOR DARK KNIGHT RETURNS !
TOM WELLING IS SUPERMAN !
Bruce_Wayne29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #25
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.
 
Ponyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wellington, NZ
Posts: 3,000
Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne29 View Post
Yeah but Batman Returns made much more money on tv, vhs & dvd rentals & buys, and now it's also turning a good profit in blu-ray, so in the end BR ended making much more money for the studio.
Exactly. That film was by no means a financial failure. They made a huge profit off toys, and other merchandise. There was a flux of Batman Returns stuff from candy, to cards, to shirts, etc. Much more than was available when '89 Batman came out.

I do remember Batman Forever and those damned McDonalds glasses... I asked my Dad to go by McDonalds every other day on his way home from work to see if he could get me the new one

Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.