The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Default Batman-"the most realistic" superhero?

People have said this for decades, and i've come to realize how much I disagree. This argument is most likely based on his lack of superpowers. True, he has the physical limitations of an ordinary man, trained to the peak by hard work and discipline. BUt I'm afraid his realism pretty much ends there.
First off, let's look at the fact that he's a multi-billionaire. I know that such people exist, but I am not one of them nor is anyone with whom I'm personally acquainted. I doubt many comic fans can say otherwise. So this aspect makes him an intangible, unrelatable character in a sense. Then you look at his history: Parents are gunned down in an alley by a desperate mugger, who in turn leaves a living witness? Pretty unlikely. Then he's raised by Alfred. How the hell does the custody of the sole heir to a massive empire fall into the hands of the help? And how do you parent your boss? "You're grounded!" "You're fired!"
Then there's his tech; I won't talk about the vehicles other than to point out they're aerodynamically unsound. I SERIOUSLY doubt that a Batwing would fly, or that a Batmobile would pick up much speed. (Keaton's was said to actually be slower than a Honda Civic.)

The Batarang is another one. Boomerangs are designed a specific way, which enables them to fly in an arc and come back.

If you tamper with that design, altering its basic shape-making it look like a bat, for example,
IT WILL NOT WORK. Nevermind adding to its weight with the toys that he comes up with or attaching a line.
Then there's the glider cape; cool as it looks-can't be done. Closest thing they've got is those suits we saw in Transformers 3. Grapple guns have yet to be shrunk down to where you can carry one in your pocket. I could go on and on. Batman's tech is beautiful but we're years away from seeing that stuff in the real world. I honestly think he's the reason some ot fhat stuff has progressed as much as it has; science chasing science fiction.
Then there's his enemies: THis

is probably the LEAST likely result of facial scarring and a chemical bath. This guy

could probably survive his disfigurement but good luck understanding a word he says.
This

just doesn't happen. Same goes for Ivy, Bane, Croc, Man-Bat...
I'm not saying this because I have a problem with Batman in any way. I love the character and I've enjoyed him for years. I can PROMISE you I will have my butt in a theater SOMEWHERE when the next movie opens, probably wearing a Batman t-shirt. It's just that the truth is, he's no more grounded in reality than a guy getting bitten by a radioactive spider.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
spider13
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman-"the most realistic" superhero?

I think you might be on to somthing. but I think they mean that a guy like batman could exist.

spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

I think that Batman is more toward the realistic end of the spectrum than most well known superheroes, like Superman, Spider-Man, or Captain America.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I never thought Batman was a realistic character, but then, is he supposed to be?

He doesn't have an extraordinary backstory like Superman (science fiction) or Wonder Woman (fantasy), but as a character he's not particularly realistic. Which is fine. It's fiction.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Yes, out of the superheros around, he is the most realistic. You'll get a rich guy dressing up as a bat long before you get an alien from space, or a teenage nerd getting spider powers, or an astronaut getting a magic ring from space etc.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Yes, out of the superheros around, he is the most realistic. You'll get a rich guy dressing up as a bat long before you get an alien from space, or a teenage nerd getting spider powers, or an astronaut getting a magic ring from space etc.
Or toxic waste granting a kid super-senses, instead of just blinding him.

The more you know.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

An alien raised by yokels fighting a crooked businessman sounds about as plausible as a multi-billionaire dressing up as a bat fighting a clown terrorist to me.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

He may be closer to happening than any of those other ones, but we're still not there yet. Not by a long shot.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
He may be closer to happening than any of those other ones, but we're still not there yet. Not by a long shot.
They're working on it.

The more you know.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

WHich part? I pointed out a lot of things that at present can't be done; the vehicles and Batarangs I think are just a lost cause.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
WHich part? I pointed out a lot of things that at present can't be done; the vehicles and Batarangs I think are just a lost cause.
Things like a grapnel gun that could be carried in one's pocket, the technology for the transforming cape, et cetera are in development by the Defense Advance Research Project Agency, better known as DARPA.

The more you know.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I know about this stuff, but last I heard they had a long way to go.
http://youtu.be/_BXPOENATC8
http://youtu.be/IDbhlRtjTCo
http://youtu.be/_elhgoSX5Qw
http://youtu.be/ZfmdcDOzx7g
http://youtu.be/jiyjbQHTWcg
http://youtu.be/rBgG5B3yBYg
And don't get me wrong; a Batman story without some sci-fi elements wouldn't be very interesting. I like that it stretches the boundaries and shows some imagination.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Yeah, that's the tech Batman uses. Over the decades it's got more and more advanced as a sign of the changing times. But the concept of Batman himself is more realistic than most heroes.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Yeah, that's the tech Batman uses. Over the decades it's got more and more advanced as a sign of the changing times. But the concept of Batman himself is more realistic than most heroes.
Pretty much.

The more you know.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

IMO, overall, Batman is more realistic than Supes, but not realistic at all in the long run. He doesn't have to be, and I don't understnad why some fans insist the he is or should be.

*splat*
Bathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #16
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:
People have said this for decades, and i've come to realize how much I disagree. This argument is most likely based on his lack of superpowers. True, he has the physical limitations of an ordinary man, trained to the peak by hard work and discipline. BUt I'm afraid his realism pretty much ends there.

Batman is probably the most unrealistic superhero out there. Simply because he's supposed to be a normal human, so everything he does is just not possible.

If you take Spider-Man: the origin is of course unrealistic but the moment he actually has those powers the idea of him fighting crime kinda makes sense and would be possible.

In the end I don't get the fuzz, superheroes are daytime fantasies, nothing else.
Quote:
First off, let's look at the fact that he's a multi-billionaire. I know that such people exist, but I am not one of them nor is anyone with whom I'm personally acquainted. I doubt many comic fans can say otherwise. So this aspect makes him an intangible, unrelatable character in a sense.
I've often mentioned this too. Batman is not that relatable.He's wishfulfillment, quite similar to Superman, although Superman at least has some real life aspects to him lots of people actually experience. But hardly anyone is a multimillionaire who lost his parents.

Quote:
Then you look at his history: Parents are gunned down in an alley by a desperate mugger, who in turn leaves a living witness? Pretty unlikely. Then he's raised by Alfred. How the hell does the custody of the sole heir to a massive empire fall into the hands of the help? And how do you parent your boss? "You're grounded!" "You're fired!"
We must be honest here: This aspect is a big retcon! Originally Alfred became butler AFTER Batman's started his career, before he was raised by his uncle, Philip Wayne.

Last edited by TruerToTheCore; 08-07-2011 at 09:57 PM.
TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
Victarion
Cut

Awe boy here it go.

Plausibility is the key word. If young Bruce had some psychological issues, saw his parents murdered and the cops doing nothing, its not hard to believe that he might try to do something.

Why?

Fear of losing what he has. He was only a child. His parents provided his rich upbringing. Then suddenly he's alone. He probably wouldn't know what to expect. His life could come crashing down around him. The injustice likely sickened him.

So what does he do?

Trains himself and decides to take things into his own hands. Hence he becomes Batman. That's plausible.

Realistic?

Mob gets tired of his **** and works together to get rid of him before resuming their petty disputes. Odds are they'd be successful.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #18
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Awe boy here it go.

Plausibility is the key word. If young Bruce had some psychological issues, saw his parents murdered and the cops doing nothing, its not hard to believe that he might try to do something.

Why?

Fear of losing what he has. He was only a child. His parents provided his rich upbringing. Then suddenly he's alone. He probably wouldn't know what to expect. His life could come crashing down around him. The injustice likely sickened him.

So what does he do?

Trains himself and decides to take things into his own hands. Hence he becomes Batman. That's plausible.

Realistic?

Mob gets tired of his **** and works together to get rid of him before resuming their petty disputes. Odds are they'd be successful.
Bottom line: Batman has some sort of "realistic" also totally exaggerated origin. But of course his actions are as unrealistic as it gets.

Superman has an unrealistic origin, but him fighting criminals is actually not that far fetched.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #19
sSArkAngelSs

You have some great points but I agree with ThunderCrack85. (The first comment)

sSArkAngelSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #20
Troy_Parker
Banned User

When compared with other superheroes, yes.

I'm not talking about his villains, but if there was a guy who had an almost limitless supply of money, and had trained to the peak of human condition... we could have someone like Batman.

Troy_Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #21
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

id say captain america is just as realistic as batman in a way. man made strong by super steroids. Uses a bulletproof shield. sounds better than training to peak physical prowess in less than 20 years and dressing as a bat

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #22
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
id say captain america is just as realistic as batman in a way. man made strong by super steroids. Uses a bulletproof shield. sounds better than training to peak physical prowess in less than 20 years and dressing as a bat
Disagree. Batman doesn't use armor made of fictional alloys, nor does his strength come from a Super Soldier Serum. He had to work hard for his strength, unlike Captain America. Plus, Batman's costume is far more realistic for a crimefighter than Captain America's outfit is. If Captain America tried to fight crime or fight a war in the real world, he would die very quickly.

The more you know.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #23
BattleCat
Side-Kick

I'd say (technology these days) Ironman, but their is a huge chance the government ends up taking the suit from him.

BattleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #24
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I don't think he is realistic in every way.

But he is the MOST realistic. I mean, name a superhero who is more realistic!

I'd say the thread title is a bit off.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #25
Crashorama
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I don't think he is realistic in every way.

But he is the MOST realistic. I mean, name a superhero who is more realistic!

I'd say the thread title is a bit off.
Green Arrow.