The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Hordakfan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Santa Ana California
Posts: 410
Default Did anyone se Batman Returns in theaters?

I did when i was 11 as it was my most anticipated movie of 92 and i saw it 4 times, i even had merchandise like t-shirts, cards, comic adaptation, board game, SNES game, magazine, action figures and Mcdonalds cups. I ate the cereal and i watched the animated series religiously on Fox.

I thought it was one of the better movie going experiences of my childhood.

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Fudgie
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,047
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

I did. I didn't like it. It didn't feel like a Batman movie. I thought Penguin was too gross.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Thebumwhowalks
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,377
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

I was confused when I walked out of Batman in 89...but I was totally buzzing when I came out of Batman Returns...I felt I had saw some things onscreen that I wanted from a Batman movie finally...

- a villan who not only acted like their comicbook counterpart, but looked just like they had stepped from the page(Catwoman)

...seeing Batman up on the rooftops fighting a super-villan(CW)

.... Batman fighting a random attack by a colourful gang of crooks (the Circus gang, esp the 1st set-piece, as on that first showing I did not know they were Penguin's gang, I thought they were just a random Gotham gang, it felt like a crazy mutant type gang from Miller's TDKR)

and extended action set pieces with Batman that involved super-villans in the action...

Now, you might think I was just there for the action, but no, of course I did enjoy the story, esp MP's Catwoman origin and characterisation....it was just that I had been waiting on a serious live action BM movie my whole life, and this one came closer than Batman 89 to delivering what I wanted to see onscreen Batman wise.

Thebumwhowalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
munchie64
I'm NOT Batman
 
munchie64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,288
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebumwhowalks View Post
I was confused when I walked out of Batman in 89...but I was totally buzzing when I came out of Batman Returns...I felt I had saw some things onscreen that I wanted from a Batman movie finally...

- a villan who not only acted like their comicbook counterpart, but looked just like they had stepped from the page(Catwoman)

...seeing Batman up on the rooftops fighting a super-villan(CW)

.... Batman fighting a random attack by a colourful gang of crooks (the Circus gang, esp the 1st set-piece, as on that first showing I did not know they were Penguin's gang, I thought they were just a random Gotham gang, it felt like a crazy mutant type gang from Miller's TDKR)

and extended action set pieces with Batman that involved super-villans in the action...

Now, you might think I was just there for the action, but no, of course I did enjoy the story, esp MP's Catwoman origin and characterisation....it was just that I had been waiting on a serious live action BM movie my whole life, and this one came closer than Batman 89 to delivering what I wanted to see onscreen Batman wise.
Ummm... What comics were you reading at the time?

__________________
In 2005 the night began. In 2008 the night was at its darkest. In 2012 the dawn will rise.

I like: The Star Wars prequels, Spider-Man 3, Transformers, X-men 3, the Pirates sequels, and Indiana Jones 4.
WARNING! My opinion might be invalid!
munchie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
Cain
"West West Y'all"
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Live from New York
Posts: 4,937
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

So Catwoman wasn't a woman conflicted with her own duality; questioning her own morals and attracted to Batman but at the same time at odds with him in the comics during the early 90's?

Don't confuse the superficial (OMG she wasn't a brunette thief) with characterization.

__________________
Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Superman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Batman & ____, Batman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Worlds' Finest, Superman/Wonder Woman, Daredevil, Superior Spider-Man, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Thebumwhowalks
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,377
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

Aye, and even in the late 70s comics, she dated Bruce Wayne, and found out his secret I.D. She did reform for a while there, but even when she would return to crime now and again, she was never a murderer, and was only really interested in stealing or kicking Batman's ass.
and yeah, they even did the whole identity crisis stuff with her back then too, there was a great issue where she was caught between her old Catwoman persona and the Selina Kyle who dated Bruce. Can't recall the issue number.


Last edited by Thebumwhowalks; 01-23-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Thebumwhowalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.
 
Ponyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wellington, NZ
Posts: 2,946
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
I did. I didn't like it. It didn't feel like a Batman movie. I thought Penguin was too gross.
Yeah. They're Batman villains. They're all gross, even Heath Ledger's Joker was gross. Depends on how you define it. I'm starting to think you don't like Batman at all.

Anyway, I saw Batman Returns twice. I was about to turn 14 that year. Twas good times. I think I bought any and everything that was Batman that my mum let me get my hands on.

__________________
www.WelcomeToBoneville.com
Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Fudgie
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,047
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
Yeah. They're Batman villains. They're all gross, even Heath Ledger's Joker was gross. Depends on how you define it. I'm starting to think you don't like Batman at all.
I love Batman. My favorite hero. The villains so far in these movies haven't been biting off noses and eating raw fish like a pig and always drooling black saliva down their chin like Penguin was. He was gross.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.
 
Ponyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wellington, NZ
Posts: 2,946
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
I love Batman. My favorite hero. The villains so far in these movies haven't been biting off noses and eating raw fish like a pig and always drooling black saliva down their chin like Penguin was. He was gross.
Some might call that an interesting take on a typically boring villain.

Ledger's Joker was gross too... his body language, the way he used his mouth. A different kind of gross, but gross nevertheless.

__________________
www.WelcomeToBoneville.com
Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 35,466
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

I saw it in 1992. I was 12. It was my first exposure to Batman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
Ledger's Joker was gross too... his body language, the way he used his mouth. A different kind of gross, but gross nevertheless.
There was nothing "gross" about his body language or the way he used his mouth. That's the first time I've ever seen anyone label it like that.

DeVito's Penguin was disgusting, and he was supposed to be disgusting. It was intentional. He's a freak that lives in the sewers. He was meant to be grotesque. That disgusting freaky nature of the character is probably one of the things that had the soccer moms up in arms in the backlash the movie got.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
DaveMoral
Side-Kick
 
DaveMoral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,606
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

I was 12 and i remember going only once. I enjoyed it a ton.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Mr. Vigilante-10 Years
 
DaRkVeNgeanCe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 12,687
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

I saw it opening night with my dad, I remember thinking how much darker the beginning seemed to me, to be honest I was a tad bit frightened.

__________________
GODZILLA
T H E A M A Z I N G S P I D E R - M A N 2 - M A Y 2
1939-2014: 75 YEARS OF THE BATMAN
- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
Mister Meddle
The Barber of Seville
 
Mister Meddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,371
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

I watched it shortly after it was released on VHS. I was only 4 and it didn't scare me at all.

__________________
"I'm not in this business to protect the rules, I serve justice"
Mister Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick
 
GREEN =w= DAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tijuana/San Diego
Posts: 5,400
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

i was 7 years old when my parents took me to go see Batman Returns. i remember it was a Sunday afternoon and the theater we went to no longer exists. in fact, it's now a Pat & Oscar's.

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
jonathancrane
Hank Pym > Scott Lang
 
jonathancrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arkham Island
Posts: 5,131
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

I did.
First film I ever viewed.
Theater's gone though. :-(
Replaced by an apartment building.

jonathancrane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #16
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,586
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

I saw it in theaters when I was 4, and only found it a little bit creepy.

Which means all of you ****s who were perturbed by have the constitution of a 4 year old.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.
 
Ponyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wellington, NZ
Posts: 2,946
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I saw it in theaters when I was 4, and only found it a little bit creepy.

Which means all of you ****s who were perturbed by have the constitution of a 4 year old.


I don't recall being freaked out by any of it (though I was about 10 years older than you at that time)... It's only as I've gotten older than I picked up on the darker themes, and a lot of the sexual innuendo.

__________________
www.WelcomeToBoneville.com
Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick
 
GothamAlleys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,631
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

To this day I dont know how it happened especially since I was a massive batman fan by that point since early 89, reading religiously and waiting for every single Batman issue, but I had no clue a sequel came out until it appeared on VHS late the same year. Dont ask me how, I just didnt know. havent seen any ads, havent heard anything about it (I was born and grew up in Europe btw)

The hype and promotion for 89 movie was massive, but BR I never heard about until my dad made a surprise for me and brought it to me on VHS in the winter of '92 the day it got released . As a side note, imagine my shock and happiness at the same time. I think thats even better than anticipating the movie. Its like "hey, B89 is one of your 2 favorite movies? I got something for you. Here, theres a sequel and you can watch it now, its in your hands"

__________________
GothamAlleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
Mace Dolex
Powerful User
 
Mace Dolex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,814
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamAlleys View Post
To this day I dont know how it happened especially since I was a massive batman fan by that point since early 89, reading religiously and waiting for every single Batman issue, but I had no clue a sequel came out until it appeared on VHS late the same year. Dont ask me how, I just didnt know. havent seen any ads, havent heard anything about it (I was born and grew up in Europe btw)

The hype and promotion for 89 movie was massive, but BR I never heard about until my dad made a surprise for me and brought it to me on VHS in the winter of '92 the day it got released . As a side note, imagine my shock and happiness at the same time. I think thats even better than anticipating the movie. Its like "hey, B89 is one of your 2 favorite movies? I got something for you. Here, theres a sequel and you can watch it now, its in your hands"
Wow I can't even fathom the thought of going to a video store and out of the blue spotting a brand new Batman movie that you never heard was out.

__________________
I'm starting to accept Ben Affleck as Batman and now Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor if this were treated as a weird Bizarro universe.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Wow I can't even fathom the thought of going to a video store and out of the blue spotting a brand new Batman movie that you never heard was out.
Something like thatb happend to me. Back in the mid-90's I went to a video store and found this new "Superman" movie. It had actors I never heard about attached to anything Superman and by the looks of it I almost thought it was a prank.

It happened to be the Lois & Clark pilot. Where I live that series was never heard about untill later.

And something similar happened when I saw that they had done a Batman animated movie based on the animated series.

It all happned in the B.I. time, life before internet.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #21
SimbaRises
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 58
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

You probably weren't living in America, that's why. Because both Batman Returns and especially Lois and Clark were marketed like hell.

SimbaRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
Mace Dolex
Powerful User
 
Mace Dolex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,814
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Something like thatb happend to me. Back in the mid-90's I went to a video store and found this new "Superman" movie. It had actors I never heard about attached to anything Superman and by the looks of it I almost thought it was a prank.

It happened to be the Lois & Clark pilot. Where I live that series was never heard about untill later.
I'd love to hear what your thoughts on it were, shocked, disgusted, confused, especially considering Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain were not household names yet.

I also remember spotting a VHS The Flash movie but it was only the TV movie pilot.

__________________
I'm starting to accept Ben Affleck as Batman and now Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor if this were treated as a weird Bizarro universe.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #23
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
I'd love to hear what your thoughts on it were, shocked, disgusted, confused, especially considering Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain were not household names yet.
Ah well, I decioded not to rent it that day. But I was very curious. I remember I thought how on Earth I did not know about it. Haha.

First of all, I saw the Superman suit and thought it had to be a joke. The S symbol, Dean Cain's face... they looked like it was a parody. I don't hate Cain, but his face was anything but Superman-ish.

A year later or so, it was on national TV.

I never watched the series much. Mostly because it was too obvious that nothing really awesome was going to happen due to bidget and special efects.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
I also remember spotting a VHS The Flash movie but it was only the TV movie pilot.
I don't remember having seen the TV video box before the actual series. Was it your case?

An, and I remember I saw "Robocop 4" on video. It was the pilot of the TV series.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick
 
GothamAlleys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,631
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Wow I can't even fathom the thought of going to a video store and out of the blue spotting a brand new Batman movie that you never heard was out.

never happened to me before or since, but as I said it was hellova surprise

__________________
GothamAlleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #25
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.
 
Ponyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wellington, NZ
Posts: 2,946
Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Wow I can't even fathom the thought of going to a video store and out of the blue spotting a brand new Batman movie that you never heard was out.
Ahh, life prior to the interwebs.

__________________
www.WelcomeToBoneville.com
Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.