The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Matthew Vaughn Is NOT Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel

Word was he had until March to make up his mind if he wanted to do another one. For obvious reasons...he wasn't...sure (Read: January Jones).

According to "TOLDJA," they just closed the deal:

Quote:
Fox has just closed a deal with Matthew Vaughn to come back and direct the sequel to X-Men: First Class, with Simon Kinberg writing the script and Bryan Singer back as producer.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
White_Knight191
Side-Kick

Default Re: Matthew Vaughn Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel

If true, great news!

-Andrew Garfield
Old 01-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Hooray!

I hope the whole cast comes back too, including Jones.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Nathan

This is sweet.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
For obvious reasons...he wasn't...sure (Read: January Jones).
That was all media bull.

Glad he's back. Hopefully that means Jane Goldman will be co-writing again and Henry Jackman scoring.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Matthew directing and Bryan producing Is music to me ears.First Class Is viewed as eather best film or second best film In Series.Fox Is smart to get the team back.The cast Is commited to sequels.The question Is will they bring everybody back.For me Moria,Angel,Riptide are question marks.I doudt they won't bring back Emma Frost.She
Is too Important a character to not return.Azarel Is a lock since he uses Jason fleming In almost everything he does.

for those complaning about SImon Kinberg.Remember he was a key on First Class as producer.I suspect he may had worked more with Vaughn and Singer than Lauren Shuller
Donner.Plus he did last work on first Class script.We can't judge all his efforts just because we didn't like his work on Fantastic Four and X-Men The Last Stand.And that may
be more of how Fox treated those films.

Last edited by marvelrobbins; 01-30-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Sweet Xstacy
Side-Kick

Yes. Now please give Professor X a good storyline.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Xstacy View Post
Both McAvoy and Fassbender want this as well. So, unless the writers/director/producers go insane, then the sequel will most likely be more Xavier-focused. The guy just got paralyzed and lost his sister, best friend, and love interest by the end of the movie. He needs to be all kinds of messed up.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
Raiden
The Captain

Great news! I believe that bringing back Matt Vaughn is critical in ensuring that the sequel for FC would be fantastic, because we have seen the effect of changing a director in the middle of a trilogy (X3, Batman Forever, Superman 3). I've criticized FOX heavily in the past, but they did absolutely the right thing in ensuring that both Vaughn and Singer return to steady the ship for part 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
Both McAvoy and Fassbender want this as well. So, unless the writers/director/producers go insane, then the sequel will most likely be more Xavier-focused. The guy just got paralyzed and lost his sister, best friend, and love interest by the end of the movie. He needs to be all kinds of messed up.
I think First Class focused more on Erik than Xavier, and while I like it alot, I hope Xavier will receive more spotlight on how him deals with the drastic changes in his life in FC2.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Xstacy View Post
Hell yeah! Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial
So, unless the writers/director/producers go insane, then the sequel will most likely be more Xavier-focused.
Even though they talked about it and, according to James, "Matthew came up with an interesting plot for the character", I'm still a bit cautious. There's nothing I want more than a good storyline dealing with Charles and all the things he had to go through after he was shot at that beach, but it's still supposed to be an "action/fantasy" movie, and it worries me that the producers will think that giving the main arc to a disabled character will "slow things down" or something . So they have to be very creative with that script. Focusing on Magneto and his merry band of mutants is much easier for anyone writing a X-Men script, I suppose.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart

Last edited by Loganbabe; 01-31-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
Hell yeah! Fingers crossed.

Even though they talked about it and, according to James, "Matthew came up with an interesting plot for the character", I'm still a bit cautious. There's nothing I want more than a good storyline dealing with Charles and all the things he had to go through after he was shot at that beach, but it's still supposed to be an "action/fantasy" movie, and it worries me that the producers will think that giving the main arc to a disabled character will "slow things down" or something . So they have to be very creative with that script. Focusing on Magneto and his merry band of mutants is much easier for anyone writing a X-Men script, I suppose.
You know, just a tiny element of the script could be something as simple as the story focusing on how some characters will think that Charles' disability makes him more of a liability to the team when facing the escalated physical threat of Magneto's Brotherhood. I'd be interested in seeing how Charles manages that with extending the reach of his powers. Whereas when he was able to walk he was more physically involved, like when he tackled Magneto to stop the missiles instead of using his mutant gifts, in his paralyzed state he will have to rely on his mind even more to be able to be an asset to the team. I'm sure some flashbacks to the cold relationship with his parents and how he came to possess the property (I'm assuming they died tragically somehow?) should be touched upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugebear View Post
Yes, the Sentinels would great for the sequel. I think it’s the humans move now. They have to react to what happened in First Class. An army of Sentinels killing mutants would be certainly cause Magneto and Professor X to team up and push Magneto further to dark side.

Gryrich should not have any mutants working for him.
I have no problem with there being Sentinels in the movies. Heck, I wanted to see them in the previous, contemporary times X-Men movies. But I've stated this numerous times, even back in the 90's that they should not be the Godzilla sized Sentinels, but the ones from the original X-Men comic run that were between 10 - 15 feet tall. I would like to see Genosha and the rounding up of mutants as well. This would give Magneto and Charles the impetus to set aside their philosophical differences and ally together to fight a common threat, with the extermination of automatonic menaces not being too hard a moral choice for Charles to undertake.

*edit* You know, I was cleaning out my ferret's cage (His name is Loki and yes he is a little mischief maker.) and I was thinking of the whole Januarygate issue you guys were talking about. Yes, I do think of the oddest things while doing menial chores if you're wondering. It might not come as a huge surprise to some of you, but I was thinking that January Jones might not be revealing the father of her baby because she's protecting him as such a revelation would be devastating on a personal level. I have my theories, and I don't think Vaughn is the father of her baby, but I'm not divulging them because mainly, it's really not our problem. Decisions were made and cannot be undone but that's not something that we need to concern ourselves with. If I knew the man on a personal basis all I'd want is a yes or no answer and leave it at that. The past is the past and cannot be undone.

- It's not your exterior that should be the litmus test of your value but what's inside your heart.

"One loyal friend is worth 10 thousand relatives." - Euripides

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 02-02-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
demitri_vampiro
Side-Kick

vaugn back = good
singer back = bad
kinberg = bad

Old 01-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
BMM
Side-Kick

Great news about Vaughn. And how is Singer returning as producer a bad thing?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
demitri_vampiro
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Great news about Vaughn. And how is Singer returning as producer a bad thing?
he doesn't know how to use the characters properly. you could see that in FC most characters were under developed and had little dialog, much like the first 2 x-movies. also he doesn't know how to address and show the humans discriminating mutants problem. all we saw in his movies was a small group of people demonstrating against mutants. nothing major. singer doesn't know how to use secondary characters and doesn't have a big vision needed to make big blockbusters.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by demitri_vampiro View Post
he doesn't know how to use the characters properly. you could see that in FC most characters were under developed and had little dialog, much like the first 2 x-movies. also he doesn't know how to address and show the humans discriminating mutants problem. all we saw in his movies was a small group of people demonstrating against mutants. nothing major. singer doesn't know how to use secondary characters and doesn't have a big vision needed to make big blockbusters.
Even though one of the most powerful scenes in X2 was Bobby getting rejected by his own parents and his own brother turning him in to the cops for no reason whatsover.

Or that the entire plot of the first movie was comparing mutant registration to the Holocaust.

What movies have you been watching?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
demitri_vampiro
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Even though one of the most powerful scenes in X2 was Bobby getting rejected by his own parents and his own brother turning him in to the cops for no reason whatsover.

Or that the entire plot of the first movie was comparing mutant registration to the Holocaust.

What movies have you been watching?
to me, it didnt come over like there is huge hate and discrimination.
and Bobby scene was more lame than serious. the idea behind it was good, but execution was not good at all. having bobby freeze a cup of tea to freak out his family is not that strong.
when i look at the 90's animated series, there are episodes that in 30 minutes show more than a whole x-movie. the episode beauty and the beast portrays much better the mutant problem.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by demitri_vampiro View Post
to me, it didnt come over like there is huge hate and discrimination.
and Bobby scene was more lame than serious. the idea behind it was good, but execution was not good at all. having bobby freeze a cup of tea to freak out his family is not that strong.
when i look at the 90's animated series, there are episodes that in 30 minutes show more than a whole x-movie. the episode beauty and the beast portrays much better the mutant problem.
OK, making a parallel connection to the Holocaust didn't come over as clear enough example of mutant bias as "huge hate and discrmination"?

The Bobby scene was completely serious. He told his parents he was a mutant...so his brother called the cops on him. The cops showed up and shot Logan in the head for no reason other than being there. Then Bobby's family completely rejected him and sided with the dip**** brother.

All you took out that was the frozen tea moment? Oy.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
Nathan

Probably because Singer doesn't stick as close to the comics as he'd like to. I admit, I was disappointed that Rogue wasn't a sexy tease, that Bobby wasn't the wiseguy and that Cyclops was mishandled, but overall, the movies were still great with pretty solid stories. And a solid story always trumps comic book accuracy in my book.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Hell yeah!

JONES BETTER NOT COME BACK(not that anythings her fault, but publicity wise). Pull a Katie Holmes and have scheduling conflicts.

Last edited by TheComicbookKid; 01-30-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #20
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Probably because Singer doesn't stick as close to the comics as he'd like to. I admit, I was disappointed that Rogue wasn't a sexy tease, that Bobby wasn't the wiseguy and that Cyclops was mishandled, but overall, the movies were still great with pretty solid stories. And a solid story always trumps comic book accuracy in my book.
All of that I would understand, if he were directing again. I have no problem with him returning as producer, though. I've never once watched First Class and felt it had Singer's hands all over it--quite the opposite, in fact. It feels very much like it's own movie and a good one at that. If these are the same people that brought us First Class, I have no problem bringing them back. Just give them more time, and ditch the short schedule. That is something the sequel could do without.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #21
josh8
Side-Kick

Great news!

As for Jones, I think she did fine. I only had a problem with that one line reading in the prison. I think her acting was badly reviewed because the role was icy, but no reason was given.

As for the negative comments about her baby drama...

THIS IS 2012. Can a woman not become a single mom without being flamed as the biggest whore in town??

Old 01-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post

As for the negative comments about her baby drama...

THIS IS 2012. Can a woman not become a single mom without being flamed as the biggest whore in town??
Uh, she had a relationship with a co-worker and didn't reveal his name. As if there's something wrong with it, well, people will want to know.

She wants her privacy, then let her have it. That won't happen putting her in the same place as before.

What did Katie Holmes do? Get married to a screwball and have a kid? Yeah, that's totally unique.

Last edited by TheComicbookKid; 01-30-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
Uh, she had a relationship with a co-worker and didn't reveal his name. As if there's something wrong with it, well, people will want to know.

She wants her privacy, then let her have it. That won't happen putting her in the same place as before.

What did Katie Holmes do? Get married to a screwball and have a kid? Yeah, that's totally unique.
I don't like January Jones but I think her staying mum on the subject of the father is pretty awesome. It really isn't anyone's business. She may have asked a friend for a favor, she may have used artificial insemination, she may have had a one-night stand with someone who was single and when she got pregnant from it released him of all responsibility for the child. If it was say, Fassbender who got her pregnant and they had agreed he not be involved in the child's life, it wouldn't come across that way to the media. They'd eat it up and he'd get a rep for being an "irresponsible father".

Either way her personal life doesn't change the fact that she's a terrible actress. She needs to step up or be replaced. :/

Vaughn returning is sweet though. I hope the film stays in the 60s, MAX a year after Cuba. If they jump too far ahead, Charles' struggles will feel less meaningful. Now that Vaughn is back the only thing I have left to cross my fingers for when it comes to this film is a scene where Erik learns what he's done (paralyzing Charles). I don't care if they screw up the sequel as long as they include that scene. Fassbender and McAvoy are excellent emotion actors and I know they would knock it out of the park.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #24
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Nice. Does this mean this will get the fast-track for a summer 2013 release? I'd rather see this happen before a Wolverine sequel does.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Isn't 2013 already divided up? They'd have to put their stamp down now to get any good dates.