The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Which Hulk movie is better?
The Incredible Hulk 189 69.74%
Hulk 82 30.26%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Default TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

Which Hulk movie is better?

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #2
The Morningstar
Banned User

Default Re: TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

Ang Lee's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
the gael
Side-Kick

The Incredible Hulk

the gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
elgaz
Side-Kick

They're very different. Dunno if you can categorically state that one is better than the other.

In terms of personal preference, I preferred TIH and Norton's take on it. Less 'angsty' and more akin to the original TV show about a man constantly on the run, and I also much preferred the look of the Hulk to the ever changing bloated version in Ang Lee's.

However, I do appreciate that Lee's version had some good moments, and I liked Bana's and Nolte's performances. And I thought Sam Elliott made a better Ross.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
And I thought Sam Elliott made a better Ross.
Sam Elliott was infinitely better as Ross in Hulk. I really didn't care for the actor's portrayal in Incredible. He was bland and boring. Elliott was gruff but enjoyable to watch and felt more authentic. The other guy felt like he was trying too hard.

Get a personalized comic book:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82753148...c-book-4-pages

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
The Morningstar
Banned User

I know alot of people hate the final fight in Ang's version, but i thought it was brilliant. Hulk get's more powerful the angrier he gets right? That's how he usually defeats his foes, by getting angrier and stronger and SMASHING!!!! them.

What i loved was the way it showed Hulk's anger, as an actual emotion, defeated Absorbing Man, or whatever you wanna call him. He was absorbing the Gamma energy of Hulk, but Hulk went completely mental "TAKE IT AAAAAAALLLLLLL!" and overloaded Absorbing Man.

That was a great way of showing how powerful Hulk becomes because of his anger without resorting to him just beating the crap out of his enemy.

I didn't like how in TIH it made the transformation a physical thing (increased heart beat) instead of the transformation being fuelled by the actual emotion of anger.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
Username.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
I didn't like how in TIH it made the transformation a physical thing (increased heart beat) instead of the transformation being fuelled by the actual emotion of anger.
Umm, Banners transformations are involved with stress and increased heart rate, it's not just anger...

Username. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username. View Post
Umm, Banners transformations are involved with stress and increased heart rate, it's not just anger...
Thing is that in TIH it was reduced to heart rate, so whatever the thing that got it up triggered the transformation. Anger, and stress, sure, but also... having sex. That is what some posters are refering too. And the fact that it was made for the sake of a few cheap laughs makes it disrespectful to the character IMO.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
haha holy ****. Well, i guess that's an easy mistake to make when it's early in the morning. They may as well be one and the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Thing is that in TIH it was reduced to heart rate, so whatever the thing that got it up triggered the transformation. Anger, and stress, sure, but also... having sex. That is what some posters are refering too. And the fact that it was made for the sake of a few cheap laughs makes it disrespectful to the character IMO.
Yea, what El says. They turned it into elevated heart beat in general, instead of actual anger causing it. I didn't like that.

I mean what, should his tag line be "You wouldn't like me when my heart rate gets faster!"

Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Connelly used to be hotter, around the time Ang's film was made up until Blood Diamond. But she is way too skinny now.
Connelly is so hot.

Connelly > Tyler

Quote:
haha holy ****. Well, i guess that's an easy mistake to make when it's early in the morning. They may as well be one and the same!

Pretty much. Johnny Depp's score isn't that bad, and to be honest, I don't find TIH's memorable either. In fact, I don't find any of Marvel Studios scores that memorable.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
TheDevilIsMe
Banned User

Quote:
I know alot of people hate the final fight in Ang's version, but i thought it was brilliant. Hulk get's more powerful the angrier he gets right? That's how he usually defeats his foes, by getting angrier and stronger and SMASHING!!!! them.
This is what I missed about 'The Incredible Hulk' and 'The Avengers'. He should get bigger the more angry he gets - that's important to his abilities.

I think the Hulk's appearance was nailed in 'The Incredible Hulk'. Love that type of green. 'Avengers' Hulk is too bright.

TheDevilIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilIsMe View Post
This is what I missed about 'The Incredible Hulk' and 'The Avengers'. He should get bigger the more angry he gets - that's important to his abilities.

I think the Hulk's appearance was nailed in 'The Incredible Hulk'. Love that type of green. 'Avengers' Hulk is too bright.
Please God, no. Just no. It completely gets the character wrong. He isn't Giant-Man. His superpowers have little to do with him being large. His already superhuman size is really just an after-effect and while important to getting his accurate 'look' right, has little else to do with the character.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #13
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Ang Lee's all the way.

Hulk himself emotes more and I liked that Banner was scared of what he was rather than just trying to suppress the beast

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
Kirmit
Big Green Machine.

I like both for different reasons.

Kirmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Ang Lee's for me.

I prefer Bana, I prefer the tone and I even prefer the fight scenes.

The only thing I like better in TIH was Liv Tyler's Betty Ross and her interactions with the Hulk.

hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #16
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Ang Lee's by leaps and bounds for me.
I loved how the film actually explores Bruce Banner's psyche; where his rage comes from and all that.

Hulk himself (aside from the size thing) is almost identical to his comic counterpart in terms of personality and abilities. Plus the desert scene is probably the best action scene of any comic film ever.

I loved how it portrayed General Ross as a morally grey character, caught between his Daughter's love for Banner and his own absolute hatred for the man. Elliot's portrayal was so much more three dimensional than Hurt's bland cartoon version.
The general tone of this film is vastly better than TIH and it generally attempts to really explore its source material in ways that few Comic Films ever do.
Most of all I love that it's actually building off of the comic and not that overrated 70s show that everyone seems to think is the end all be all of the character.

Roose Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #17
Radioactive1980
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Hulk himself (aside from the size thing) is almost identical to his comic counterpart in terms of personality and abilities. Plus the desert scene is probably the best action scene of any comic film ever.
Give me a break.

Apart from it being pretty underwhelming- hulk smashes a couple of tanks and choppers big deal, he does not even seem to have Hulk's true strength level. Instead he is under-powered. You can clearly see Hulk struggling to lift the cannon section of a tank above his head and when the other tank blasts him he falls over.

Compare that to the actual greatest ever action scene of a comic film- Avengers Manhattan battle when Hulk kills a chitauri worm with one punch. Much more like it.

Radioactive1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #18
The Morningstar
Banned User

Yea, Elliot's Ross was so vastly superior to Hurt's. That comes down to writing more than anything though.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #19
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Well yeah partial at least, I mean Hurt probably would have given a better performance with a better script. That said, Elliot's Ross had so much more hard intensity, where as Hurt...I dunno how I'd describe it, he was more of Talbot type character than anything.

Roose Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #20
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

With half of the people in here saying Ang's movie, why is mine the only vote for it?

Anyway, I liked TIH, but I LOVE And Lee's Hulk, much more faithful representation of the comic book character for me and I loved how much it delved into Banner and were the Hulk comes from. One of my favourite CBM movies ever.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #21
Evelisse
Exactly

both were ok, but I liked TIH more I guess for most the reasons that have been stated, I liked Norton's Banner, I liked the look of Hulk in TIH, and the action and fight scenes were easier to make out than the end fight of Ang Lee's hulk and didn't like the hulk dogs.
Of course probably more biased for TIH because felt like the show which I grew up watching rather than the comic

Evelisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
kedrell

TIH by a mile and then some. Anghulk is probably my most hated movie of all time. No scratch that, there's no probably about it. I hate that movie more than any other that I have ever seen. It's a travesty of gigantic proportions. Damn thing put me in a foul mood for months afterward back in 2003. TIH has many flaws(mostly with the characterization or lack thereof with regard to Hulk himself) but on the whole it's still a good movie.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #23
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

To me....the Ang Lee directed HULK is the better acted drama, while THE INCREDIBLE HULK is the more faithful, more fun comic adaptation.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #24
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Though technically the origin in Lee's Hulk is closer to the comic, having Bruce exposed to the Gamma by saving someone.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #25
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
Though technically the origin in Lee's Hulk is closer to the comic, having Bruce exposed to the Gamma by saving someone.
Both are far too much away from the 616 origin for my liking.