The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Project862006
Banned User

Default Need For Speed

Need For Speed Adaption Gets Real Steel scribe
Quote:
Electronic Arts is eager to capitalize on studios seeking their own "The Fast and the Furious"-type franchises, with the videogame publisher tapping scribe John Gatins to develop a pitch for "Need for Speed."Gatins ("Real Steel") and EA will produce the project with George Gatins writing the pitch. United Talent Agency, which reps EA, assembled the package, which is now being shopped around Hollywood, with Warner Bros., Sony and Paramount said to be interested in snatching film rights to the racing property. Bids are expected to fall in the low seven figures.
Paramount is said to be a frontrunner, but other bids are still being considered. Universal is the only major not vying for the project, given that it already has "Fast and the Furious," whose sixth installment starts lensing later this year. Plot details are being kept under wraps.
Electronic Arts released "Need for Speed: The Run" as the 18th game in the franchise last November. Game was an attempt to freshen up the series by developing a plot for the first time and hiring actors Sean Faris ("Never Back Down") and Christina Hendricks ("Mad Men") to play lead roles in a grueling race from San Francisco to New York City.
Before "The Run," the "Need for Speed" games generated more than $100 million for EA since the first bowed in 1994. Company plans to release a new "Need for Speed" each fall, the same way Activision launches a new installment of its blockbuster "Call of Duty" franchise each year.
UTA has repped the gamemaker since 2008, when it started setting up adaptations of its more high-profile titles around town, including "Mass Effect," "Spore," "The Sims," "Army of Two," "Dante's Inferno" and "Dead Space," as films or TV shows. UTA also reps the Gatins.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118052577?refCatId=13

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Octoberist
point blank

Default Re: Need For Speed

Man, I can't see Dead Space as a film because it's (like most big games) are very derivative of movies already. Well, Mass Effect has its own thing.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

They could do Dead Space as a tv show, but they'd have to have some extremely good makeup/animatronic/CG teams.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
bullets
bang bang

I feel the need for speed

Not really but a Fast and Furious rip off doesn't sound too bad.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
KenK
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
I feel the need for speed

Not really but a Fast and Furious rip off doesn't sound too bad.
Well that's the problem. This will have to compete with a franchise that's still going strong, and won't have any of the elements that make the F&F franchise work. Anyone remember Redline (NOT the anime)?!

KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Verbal21
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
Well that's the problem. This will have to compete with a franchise that's still going strong, and won't have any of the elements that make the F&F franchise work. Anyone remember Redline (NOT the anime)?!
I remember watching that movie and thinking it wasn't too bad. I sort of miss the older F&F movies where it was actually about the races rather than them being more of a "heist" genre that they are nowadays and wouldn't mind seeing a new take to the racing genre. I remember Drive was a pretty good racing movie but I prefer street racing.

Verbal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Octoberist
point blank

If they kept the SF to NY story from the last game (Maybe change it to LA to NY) it could be a fun movie.

Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Spider-Man Luvr28
Amazing.

Breaking Bad‘s Aaron Paul is going places in the movies — fast.

The two-time Emmy winner, who co-stars in the new film Smashed, has signed on as one of the leads in DreamWorks’ upcoming feature film Need For Speed.

Inspired by the hit Electronic Arts video game series, the racing film will be directed by Scott Waugh, who made this year’s Navy SEALs rescue drama Act of Valor. Filming for Need For Speed is set to begin early next year, with plans to be in theaters Feb. 7, 2014.

Brothers George and John Gatins concocted the movie’s story, which was inspired by the game series but isn’t based on any one title, with George (executive producer of the comedy She’s Out of My League) penning the final screenplay. John, screenwriter of Real Steel, Coach Carter, and the upcoming Denzel Washington drama Flight, will co-produce Need For Speed with Mark Sourian, who is also producing the upcoming DreamWorks comedy Starbuck.

With his final episodes as conscience-plagued meth-maker Jesse Pinkman on AMC’s Breaking Bad airing next year as the series wraps up, Paul is already beginning to transition into movies. He can be seen opposite Mary Elizabeth Winstead in the romantic drama Smashed (opening wider this week) about a hard-partying married couple whose love is threatened when she decides to go sober.

While Need For Speed seeks to capitalize on the same car-culture passion that made The Fast and Furious movies such hits, the presence of an actor of Paul’s caliber suggests the racing thriller may be aiming for a little more depth.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/1...r-speed-movie/

Spider-Man Luvr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Blackman
C'mon Son

Well he's a good actor...

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

That's cool he's branching out. Still want him for Flash at some point.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
That's cool he's branching out. Still want him for Flash at some point.
I like your thinking because you and I want Duncan Jones or Rian Johnson as Flash director too.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
Project862006
Banned User

he has come very far since starring in a Korn music video lol

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
obin_gam
Side-Kick

Maserati needs to do the score for this one
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

- Gene Wilder
obin_gam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Octoberist
point blank

At least this could be a fun video game adaptation that can break that curse. I don't know.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #15
Hulk1968
An agent of chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
At least this could be a fun video game adaptation that can break that curse. I don't know.
A video game adaptation of a movie based upon a video game?

What?

And to the posters who stated that a "Need for Speed" movie would rip-off The Fast and the Furious movies....well...

The first Need for Speed video game was released in 1994.

The first Fast & Furious movie came out in 2001, a full 7 years after the video game came out.

So I'd say that the Fast & Furious movies ripped off The Need for Speed video game(s).

Just pointing out a few points. No flames please

Old 02-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #16
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk1968 View Post
A video game adaptation of a movie based upon a video game?

What?

And to the posters who stated that a "Need for Speed" movie would rip-off The Fast and the Furious movies....well...

The first Need for Speed video game was released in 1994.

The first Fast & Furious movie came out in 2001, a full 7 years after the video game came out.

So I'd say that the Fast & Furious movies ripped off The Need for Speed video game(s).

Just pointing out a few points. No flames please
Actually The Fast and the Furious part 1 ripped off Point Break. I win once again!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #17
def28
Side-Kick

Yeah switch cars with Surfing and its Point Break.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #18
Spider-Man Luvr28
Amazing.

Imogen Poots is revving up for the female lead in DreamWorks' action film Need for Speed.

The Fright Night actress is in negotiations to star opposite Aaron Paul in the big-screen adaptation of the popular Electronic Arts video game. Poots will play a rising star stock car racer whose father has bet the farm on her winning.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ks-need-384865

Old 11-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
Spider-Man Luvr28
Amazing.

"Captain America" thesp Dominic Cooper is about to put his pedal to the metal, as he's in negotiations to co-star opposite Aaron Paul in DreamWorks' "Need for Speed" movie.

Cooper will play the other male lead of Dino, an ex-NASCAR driver who uses his connections to the wealthy to create a business rebuilding and modifying supercars. Imogen Poots, who starred in DreamWorks' "Fright Night" remake, is making a deal to play an exotic car dealer who does business with Paul and Cooper.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118061823

Old 11-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
Symbiotic
Let's go catch a Spider

I can dig the plot, but what revenge can they have Paul's character going for other than driving (heh) the villains into fatal crashes?

Symbiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #21
simsjackop

they'd have to have some extremely good makeup

simsjackop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #22
Filmboy
Banned User

Is this movie really necessary?

Speed Racer flops so badly...........

Filmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #23
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/290999564104781824

Quote:
Breaking: Kid Cudi, Ramon Rodriguez, Rami Malek and Harrison Gilbertson joining Aaron Paul in DreamWorks' NEED FOR SPEED.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #24
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

Kid Cudi is cool...
That annoying entity from Transformers 2...ehh, he was ok in Battle LA
The other 2, neutral.

Looking forward to this movie for some reason, it could be very entertaining!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Spideyfan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Michael Keaton joins the cast

Quote:
The big screen version of the video game Need for Speed has added some superhero luster to its cast.

The Hollywood Reporter says Batman veteran Michael Keaton has joined Aaron Paul, Imogen Poots and Dominic Cooper in DreamWorks' film version of the EA game.

"Keaton will play the reclusive and eccentric host of an underground supercar race where he invites the best drivers from around the world," claims the trade.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/...or-speed-movie

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote