The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Hans Zimmer scoring 'Man of Steel'
Nolan's go-to music man back for WB's Superman reboot
By Jeff Sneider
Posted: Mon., Jun. 18, 2012, 4:01pm PT

Hans Zimmer, who worked on all three films in Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, is set to reteam with the filmmaker once again, as Warner Bros. and director Zack Snyder have tapped him to score their Superman pic "Man of Steel."

Legendary Pictures and Atlas Entertainment produced the superhero tentpole with Syncopy, Cruel & Unusual Films and DC Entertainment.

In addition to "Batman Begins," "The Dark Knight" and this summer's "The Dark Knight Rises," Zimmer worked with Nolan on "Inception," for which he received an Oscar nomination. He has been nominated for nine Oscars and previously won for Disney's "The Lion King."

John Williams was nominated for an Oscar for creating the iconic theme to Richard Donner's original "Superman" in 1978.

"Man of Steel" will mark the first Snyder-directed pic on which the helmer hasn't worked with composer Tyler Bates, who scored "Dawn of the Dead," "300," "Watchmen" and "Sucker Punch."

"Man of Steel," which hits theaters on June 14, 2013, stars Henry Cavill as the titular superhero, while the rest of the cast includes Russell Crowe, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Antje Traue and Christopher Meloni.

Zimmer is repped by WME.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118055676

Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

i liked his work on both Batman Begins and Dark Knight, and I'm very interested to hear what composition he comes up with

Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

This is very interesting news. I always kind of suspected this might happen.

John Williams' score brought us the heroic and majestic nature of Superman. John Ottman delved more into the emotional core of a heartbroken Superman and was able to lend some gravitas to the more awe-inspiring God-like side of Superman. Now, I can only imagine Zimmer will let us hear the sheer power and might of Superman. Hopefully that and more.

This will draw a mixed response, no doubt. Personally I think it's a smart move, because Zimmer is one guy you can definitely count on to not attempt to sound like John Williams. And you really need that because anything that tries to approach that theme is going to sound like a poor man's attempt in comparison.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 06-18-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

lol; I just hope that he doesn't go with the same mentality that he did with BB where he doesn't really create a main theme for Superman since he believes that Superman has to "earn" it as well.lol

Well, if anything..I wonder if we cane expect something very memorable for the trailers since Zimmer has created some great and memorable trailer music for Nolan's films (Inception and TDKR in particular).

Also, his work on "Pearl Harbor" and "The Last Samurai" were top notch, and I could see some of his themes from "Pearl Harbor" really translating well for Superman's character for certain moments.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
BuddhaWasABat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
This is very interesting news. I always kind of suspected this might happen.

John Williams' score brought us the heroic and majestic nature of Superman. John Ottman delved more into the emotional core of a heartbroken Superman and was able to lend some gravitas to the more awe-inspiring God-like side of Superman. Now, I can only imagine Zimmer will let us hear the sheer power and might of Superman. Hopefully that and more.

This will draw a mixed response, no doubt. Personally I think it's a smart move, because Zimmer is one guy you can definitely count on to not attempt to sound like John Williams. And you really need that because anything that tries to approach that theme is going to sound like a poor man's attempt in comparison.
I agree with everything you said here. Well said man. I can't wait to hear what he comes up with for Superman.

2) The Dark Knight Rises
3) Watchmen
4) Batman Begins
5) Iron Man
6) X2
7) Avengers
8) X Men First Class
9) Spider-man 2
10) X Men
Old 06-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Personally I think it's a smart move, because Zimmer is one guy you can definitely count on to not attempt to sound like John Williams. And you really need that because anything that tries to approach that theme is going to sound like a poor man's attempt in comparison.
I really hope that's true. I mean, I think the old theme is awesome... in the context of the old films. But it's like when Smallville tried to use it, it just felt really off.

I want something completely different, and I hope he delivers

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Mako
Galactic Crusier

Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
Zorex
No T, No Shade

I can't say I'm surprised... or 100% for this. I was really hoping for someone else. Zimmer always felt like the too obvious, too expected choice. "Oh, well, he did the Nolan Bat-Films, of course he would do Man of Steel." For all the good film music Zimmer's been behind, hie isn't who I myself would choose for this new Superman movie.

I'll be hopeful. Zimmer has done some really great stuff. "Chevaliers de Sangreal" from The Da Vinci Code is an incredible cue.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Great, he won't have a theme until the 3rd film when he "earns" it.

Hans better realize Supes deserves something spectacular on the first shot.

My LEGO Gallery
Old 06-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
Great, he won't have a theme until the 3rd film when he "earns" it.

Hans better realize Supes deserves something spectacular on the first shot.
This is precisely one of the reasons I didn't want Zimmer. If he brings that same mentality over to Man of Steel, I'll be very, very unhappy.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post
This is precisely one of the reasons I didn't want Zimmer. If he brings that same mentality over to Man of Steel, I'll be very, very unhappy.
Well, Zimmer will be answering to Zack Snyder while they're spotting the movie -- and Snyder may want an established theme for Superman this time. Just because Nolan wrote the story treatment, approved casting, and had say over the composer choice -- doesn't mean Zimmer will go the same route score-wise.

And I hope Snyder will encourage Zimmer to go all-out -- I would really love a Da Vinci Code / Thin Red Line-styled score than the anonymous electronic and string rhythms of BB/TDK/TDKR.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 06-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Well, Zimmer will be answering to Zack Snyder while they're spotting the movie -- and Snyder may want an established theme for Superman this time. Just because Nolan wrote the story treatment, approved casting, and had say over the composer choice -- doesn't mean Zimmer will go the same route score-wise.

And I hope Snyder will encourage Zimmer to go all-out -- I would really love a Da Vinci Code / Thin Red Line-styled score than the anonymous electronic and string rhythms of BB/TDK/TDKR.
Fair point. And I agree, the guy had better go all-out. The way you describe his Bat-scores is spot on, in my opinion. They do, except for some moments here and there, feel largely anonymous to me, and I hope and pray Zimmer delivers a distinctive and memorable score for MOS.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

It's kind of funny though that I had been in the bandwagon that had been hoping to hear something like this for the scenes taking place in Smallville during Clark's youth; and now we get the person who actually made the same score.lol Granted, it won't be the same in MOS obviously, but still, I do hope that we get something like it.lol

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVbwaHTuLvE

Old 06-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
Rockstar
Banned User

Yup.

Nolan has no influence on Man of Steel.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 AM   #15
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Yup.

Nolan has no influence on Man of Steel.

From THR:
'Dark Knight's' Hans Zimmer to Score Superman Reboot 'Man of Steel'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borys Kit
Zimmer's boarding shows just how much influence Nolan has over the project; Snyder has worked with composer Tyler Bates on all of his movies dating back to his feature directorial debut, Dawn of the Dead, and including 300, Watchmen and Sucker Punch.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe99 View Post
I didn't know for sure, but i've thought from the beginning that nolan was much more involved than people here wanted to believe...some here in the know even said that nolan was heavily involved, but folks didn't want to hear it....
If he can do for Superman what he did for Batman, then more power to him.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #17
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

This is great news in my opinion. I don't know if we'll hear anything in the upcoming trailer as trailers have been known to use score from other fims.

Now I do wonder what we'll get will Superman have a main theme? Has he been told to go radically differeny to Williams? I guess time will tell

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I'm a bit disappointed. I know Nolan had a hand in bringing Zimmer on board, but I wished we got someone different than Zimmer or Williams' more symphonic sound.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 06-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Uninspired, but solid choice

Old 06-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
Boosted
Side-Kick

thank god, the last thing i would have wanted was someone too much like John Williams, to which they would just be a much lesser john williams.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #21
Project862006
Banned User

this is exactly what we need

we need to get away from williams theme as much as possible

step in the right direction

Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #22
Van Petrol
Meatloaf Haitch!

I like!

Old 06-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Very happy with this choice. Zimmer is one my faves.

Sort of expected though.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #24
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Just saw this on CBM. I just had to share it.

Quote:
this has to be the worst decision ever made,he has already scored all 3 of Nolan's batmans films and for him to do this,his style is utter most recognizable compared to his other works now and I feel Zimmer despite him being one of the greats once in the music industry should retire.
We should learn from Tron Legacy and bring music artists to compose music scores,let's say if we get skrillex to score the man of steel,I wouldn't mind at all change of the pace a little.
After telling him he was an idiot, he replies.

Quote:
anyone can be a Zimmer just grab a whole bunch of music scores from some old movies and mash them together an add some effects there you go.Isnt that what all composers do these days with the lack of creativity running around the industry
AND THEN, after giving him the ultimate insult (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0), he replies.

Quote:
it should have been skrillex,I would love to see a crazy dubstep track in a superman film none of this dumb instrumental classic crap dubstep it up.Zimmer needs to retire or get in with the new direction of music of this generation which is better than the past
Yep!

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #25
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What a shock...I never thought it would be him.......not once

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr