The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Aztec
Side-Kick

Default Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

I'm sure you all have seen this already (it's everywhere second only to Kaijunexus' Avengers/GOTG crossover pic) but here's the place to discuss it:

Marvel and ABC Teaming on Avengers-Themed Series?
by SuperHeroHype
July 27, 2012

Deadline is reporting that Marvel's TV division is in talks with ABC and ABC Studios about developing a drama series set in the world of The Avengers.

The site says: "I hear that the connection to the Avengers franchise would be light as the project is expected to be set in the universe and feature some of its themes and feel but may not include any characters from Joss Whedon’s blockbuster. I hear the project is in a nascent stage, described as “a kernel of an idea,” with a number of scenarios explored, including a high-concept cop show."

Guillermo del Toro recently said that he was still working with ABC on a new "Hulk" series as well and that they were "waiting on a particular writer to do a rewrite on the pilot."

So a "high-concept cop show" set in the MCU? I love it! What an excellent opportunity to bring in street level heroes to deal with thugs, crime, and smaller issues. Let the Avengers deal with the planetary and beyond problems and let guys like Punisher, Moon Knight, Heroes for Hire, Cloak and Dagger, etc. deal with the smaller "street level" stuff. All with the central focus being law enforcement. I love it. Bring it on!

Superman Batman Wonder Woman
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Old 07-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Its probably not going to happen or at least will take 2 to 3 years to finally air. But at least its on ABC - my favorite network!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 07-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Silvermoth
Avenger

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Chewy
REDACTED

heroesforhire heroesforhire heroesforhire

Old 07-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
As much as I wish they'd get the movie treatment, odds are this is what's gonna happen.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
As much as I love the idea of the MCU getting at least one TV show, and as much as I love the idea of Heroes for Hire being that show, I've gotta say that I'm not the least bit interested in seeing that show on ABC-TV. Or Disney.

If they said "Heroes for Hire" or "Marvel Knights" coming to HBO, or FX, or TNT, I could definitely get behind this. But "No Ordinary Family" ABC....? No thanks, I'll pass.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 07-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

If Marvel and ABC are smart, they'd try and get Mark Ruffalo and Joss Whedon to climb on board with the Hulk TV show. That way they don't have to worry about a new Hulk movie in time for the Avengers 2 and it would have the buzz of a high end movie with it.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
The Guard
Side-Kick

Sounds a little like MARVELS.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 07-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Marvel should develop Code: Blue; get Ving Rhames as Lt. Marcus Stone.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Yeah, because that one show really defines the network as a whole, doesn't it?

Give me some Runaways, ABC.

Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 07-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
darpavader
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

Give me some Runaways, ABC.
I think Runaways would work well as a TV show. What happened to the Runaways movie? Weren't they casting it a year or two back?

Old 07-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #12
Silvermoth
Avenger

They still have a script but I think they're only going for one 'risky' movie at a time since there's such a demand for more Iron Man, Cap etc and at the moment they're going for Guardians of the Galaxy.

They don't want to oversaturate the market after all.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Where on earth did I imply that.....?

ABC has some quality shows. It's just that when it comes to the superhero genre, quality ain't there. They already dumped the AKA Jessica Jones concept; the Hulk TV show is still vaporware; and "No Ordinary Family" was a cheesy way to turn Fantastic Four/The Incredibles into a sitcom. Doesn't bode well for any future superhero shows on ABC.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #14
Phantom X
Side-Kick

I'm glad it's ABC, times are tough and ABC is free. Kinda surprised about the Hulk. He's a major money maker, why waste him on TV? Lotta CGI needed for him too.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #15
Lord
All Mighty

I interpreted this as them once again being interested in AKA Jessica Jones

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #16
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

I'm hoping for Heroes for Hire, SHIELD, or that they're reconsidering AKA Jessica Jones.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
Chewy
REDACTED

Except the network buys the shows, doesn't create them. No Ordinary Family was just a show created by a couple of hacks that ABC swooped up to get in the superhero game. It genuinely could not be less relevant to this show

It was always going to be on ABC. The Hulk show seemed like a weird fit due to how limited a TV budget usually is. And I don't think anyone was interested in a Jessica Jones show, lol

I'm sure they'll get a solid creative team behind this. This is exactly the type of concept that could thrive on network TV

Old 07-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
LauraT
Side-Kick

If they want a high concept cop show it will probably involve SHIELD, which would be cool, or alternatively a street level Heroes of Hire to tie them and/or other more minor characters into the MCU without doing big budget movies.

They might use some MOS to test out the various ideas before committing to a project.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
Chewy
REDACTED

The best thing about a show like this is there are literally hundreds of characters who would make for at least an interesting episode.

How awesome would it be to see, for instance, Ghost as a major recurring character in a live-action show?

Old 07-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #20
AvengeME
Banned User

TV is just not the place to go these days. Going from major blockbuster tentpoles to a weekly watered down TV show on network television- downgrading would be an understatement. It would be comical seeing Hulk in a TV show today, unless only Bruce Banner is featured.

You basically have to go to Z-list characters in the Marvel staple to do them any sort of justice on television. Note how one never sees Superman on Smallville. That's basically how you would have to approach Hulk. So a series focusing on a younger Banner pre-transformation might work. But who wants to see Banner without the Hulk? Or who wants to see Hulk with some crappy animatronic/CGI hybrid that makes dinosaurs in Terranova look like creatures in Avatar?

So forget the Hulk. Even Heroes for Hire, that could easily be a featured film in the vein of the Lethal Weapon and Rush Hour series. As cliche as the concept may be, would you rather get that or a more stylized and flamboyant NYPD blue that wouldn't even cater to most adults.

So stay the hell away from TV. Maybe after 20 years when we have a fully established MCU and multiple actors and renditions of Marvel characters have long surfaced, and audiences are completely familiar with Marvel that they want to go even deeper into the world. Then you can expand the universe. Note how Star Wars is moving to live action TV in the future, but it won't feature Skywalker or Vader. Don't feature any A-list characters on a weekly live action TV series. You can never do them justice.

Last edited by AvengeME; 07-29-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #21
Lord
All Mighty

If they figured a way to make a weekly tv show with the Hulk then let them make a weekly tv show with the hulk

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

If the film will have some ties to MCU i think this show, might just revolve around normal people or cops who live in this Marvel Cinematic World...

I think this idea originated from what they done with Item 47... I think the TV series will be more like that.. I think SHIELD might feature, superheroes will be mentioned, but i don't think any Marvel Heroes will be the main or supporting characters.. Maybe smaller characters will guess star..

This way Marvel can still have fun with these characters within this world, without worrying about CG effects and big action scenes...

Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #23
AvengeME
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-2 View Post
If the film will have some ties to MCU i think this show, might just revolve around normal people or cops who live in this Marvel Cinematic World...

I think this idea originated from what they done with Item 47... I think the TV series will be more like that.. I think SHIELD might feature, superheroes will be mentioned, but i don't think any Marvel Heroes will be the main or supporting characters.. Maybe smaller characters will guess star..

This way Marvel can still have fun with these characters within this world, without worrying about CG effects and big action scenes...
Yes. That is exactly how you would approach this. Normal characters, most of whom aren't even in the comic books. Supporting players of supporting heroes in the MCU. That way you remove any and all expectations of seeing major characters and big action sequences.

Spider-Woman or Ms. Marvel (no super powers) are about the highest I would go as far as top of the line Marvel heroes featured on a weekly basis. TV shows cater very much to the female demo and this is a good way to get those characters exposure. Being that Marvel hasn't had a street level hero featured as of yet (other than Punisher), I think Luke Cage/Heroes for Hire can definitely be a major mation picture if not a franchise, albeit with a much smaller budget. No reason why that can't be something a notch below Fast and the Furious as a franchise. Probably won't ever be as popular as that, but still pretty damn good.

Last edited by AvengeME; 07-30-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengeME View Post
Yes. That is exactly how you would approach this. Normal characters, most of whom aren't even in the comic books. Supporting players of supporting heroes in the MCU. That way you remove any and all expectations of seeing major characters and big action sequences.

Spider-Woman or Ms. Marvel (no super powers) are about the highest I would go as far as top of the line Marvel heroes featured on a weekly basis. TV shows cater very much to the female demo and this is a good way to get those characters exposure. Being that Marvel hasn't had a street level hero featured as of yet (other than Punisher), I think Luke Cage/Heroes for Hire can definitely be a major mation picture if not a franchise, albeit with a much smaller budget. No reason why that can't be something a notch below Fast and the Furious as a franchise. Probably won't ever be as popular as that, but still pretty damn good.
WTF???

Who out there, besides you, would give two ****s about a show about mundane, non-superpowered, non-"name" SUPPORTING characters from the Marvel Universe....???

I mean, what's the point, man?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #25
AvengeME
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
WTF???

Who out there, besides you, would give two ****s about a show about mundane, non-superpowered, non-"name" SUPPORTING characters from the Marvel Universe....???

I mean, what's the point, man?
Because it is TV. Can't compare the two mediums. Just make a good drama and people will watch regardless. Besides, look at how TV shows come and go. Before you blink an eye, a show gets taken off the air in season. You want that treatment for Marvel characters you actually care about?

Again, I am all for a SHIELD show. Maybe guest appearances by Cobie Smulders and SLJ himself if the show takes off. But you can't feature major heroes and expect it to work. As far as the Luke Cages and Moon Knights, if Marvel doesn't want to treat them seriously, water them down in a cliched TV concept/format. I just wouldn't launch those characters from that platform at the beginning. At least dabble in a low-mid budget project and aim for something higher.

Last edited by AvengeME; 07-31-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Closed Thread