The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

View Poll Results: Do you accept the theory of evolution?
Yes (Post your reasons below) 144 80.00%
No (Post your reasons below) 33 18.33%
Not sure 3 1.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution?

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
DBryan
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,369
Default Do you accept the theory of evolution?

A theory is NOT a guess. Theories are supported by a large body of empirical data. Theories are established by observation or experiment. Theories contain facts. Also, laws are not above theories.



This link explains theories and laws http://science.kennesaw.edu/~rmatson/3380theory.html

This link summarizes how the word theory is used in science http://www.notjustatheory.com

Here are a number of posts in this thread that cover what the word theory means.

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...27&postcount=4

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...7&postcount=37

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1&postcount=51

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...7&postcount=64

Apparently, only 40% of Americans accept the theory of evolution. Creation museums receive a great amount of funding and politicians constantly try to push legislation that would put creationism on equal footing with evolution in classrooms.

I'm interested to see what the dynamic here is. I'd like to see why people believe or don't believe, what they believe instead, and the reasoning behind it.

Do you have any interesting stories on discussions you've had relating to the topic, perhaps with teachers or people in class or whatever?

Post your thoughts!

DBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemtov View Post
When was it written?
Which part, and are you referring to all the versions that were edited, retranslated, condensed by Constantine, etc.? Or a specific modern version?

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Shemtov
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Which part, and are you referring to all the versions that were edited, retranslated, condensed by Constantine, etc.? Or a specific modern version?
The Pentateuch.

Shemtov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemtov View Post
The Pentateuch.
Can't guess accurately...whether it's the Hebrew bible or what have you. But the question remains...what does when it was written have to do with it having scientific evidence against evolution?

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
VictorCreed
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 175
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Can't guess accurately...whether it's the Hebrew bible or what have you. But the question remains...what does when it was written have to do with it having scientific evidence against evolution?
It's old, it must be true.

VictorCreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Shemtov
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
But the question remains...what does when it was written have to do with it having scientific evidence against evolution?
I am just trying to ease you into my proof.
It makes it easier for me to explain, and for you to understand.....So please answer the question.
By "Pentateuch i meant "Five Books of Moses".

Shemtov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,068
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

I will never understand why people think that just because we dont know why or how something works right now that god must have done it. 500 years ago thy thought the tides came in and the planets moved because of god. Now we know why these things happen. Just because we dont know something now doesnt mean we should slap a god stamp on it and forget about it.

Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
I will never understand why people think that just because we dont know why or how something works right now that god must have done it. 500 years ago thy thought the tides came in and the planets moved because of god. Now we know why these things happen. Just because we dont know something now doesnt mean we should slap a god stamp on it and forget about it.
The 'god of the gaps' as default is still holding on.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,725
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
I will never understand why people think that just because we dont know why or how something works right now that god must have done it. 500 years ago thy thought the tides came in and the planets moved because of god. Now we know why these things happen. Just because we dont know something now doesnt mean we should slap a god stamp on it and forget about it.
I think it has to do with our fundamental nature. To a dog, thunder is a scary noise. To a caveman it's an angry deity (Thor, Zeus, etc). To an educated man, it can be explained by lightning, air pressure and temperature.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #11
rodhulk
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 7,979
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
I will never understand why people think that just because we dont know why or how something works right now that god must have done it. 500 years ago thy thought the tides came in and the planets moved because of god. Now we know why these things happen. Just because we dont know something now doesnt mean we should slap a god stamp on it and forget about it.
I will respond here since your last response to me was in the other thread. Hope you don't mind (cause we really don't have a choice...).

To what you said in this statement, it is true that many religious people have said things through the past and we have come to a different understanding now, but the same is true with evolution which has gone through changes in belief and/or understanding. A 3 part video link hopefully will help as it mentions just that. I'll include it at the end of this post.

As for saying that if you don't understand something now one should put a God stamp on it.... sure creationists may if the Bible supports the current scientific understanding, but that doesn't mean you have to if you are an evolutionist. Just like I need more proof of evolution to believe in it, that through vast amounts of time, man came to be from much older life from the sea, it is understandable from my POV that you need more proof, too, to put a God stamp on it. In other words, just because science may not have an understaing of something (yet) doesn't automatically mean a God stamp. But just as you challenge me to look at evolution more, I would return thesame to you to see if it leads to that God stamp.

Here are the three videos, I thought they were interesting:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JV6K1az6NM

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSwt8edtHUA

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtgJHBHFR98

__________________
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.

(Isaiah 53:5)
rodhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
childeroland
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,011
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

@KalMart There seems to be mo major consensus, with some of the latest theories having the origins of the Pentateuch being put together in the 5th century BCE.

__________________
That which is not Body, is no part of the Universe, and because the Universe is All, that which is not Body is Nothing and consequently Nowhere. Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

"If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of."
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother



childeroland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Shemtov
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Not only that but many well known things in the bible are retellings of various other mythologies. For instance Jesus' birth, death, and resurrection shares many common elements with the birth, death, and resurrection of Horus.
I'm Jewish. Leave Jesus out of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
@KalMart There seems to be mo major consensus, with some of the latest theories having the origins of the Pentateuch being put together in the 5th century BCE.
We were discussing this before it was insisted by the now banned OP that the whole convo was OT.
We Stopped when I asked a question on a similiar theory:
What did the compilers tell the people to explain where this ultra-important book had been? Remember it claims to have been written centuries earlier.
Imagine for a second you're a Jew living in Babylon/Persia around 500 BCE. Somebody comes out with a new book called the Bible.; It claims to have been written in parts for the past 700 years. A part of it claims to have been written around 1200 BCE. (This is directly in the Bible "Moses finished writing the words of this Pentateuch in a scroll to the very end" Deut 31:24)
Would you accept it?
And if he claimed it was lost, wouldn't the fact that the book was lost and rediscovered have been written in the Books of Ezra and Nehemiah, which is the story of the period of Jewish History around 500 BCE?

Shemtov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Please point out how it scientifically argues evolution, otherwise it is off-topic.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #15
Shemtov
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Please point out how it scientifically argues evolution, otherwise it is off-topic.
Because if it can be proven that God gave the Bible, then evolution must not be true, because the Bible says it's not.

Shemtov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,725
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

It is rather annoying that people call Evolution darwinism, when a lot of other people's work went in the theory.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
VictorCreed
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 175
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemtov View Post
I'm Jewish. Leave Jesus out of this.
Well, that seems odd if you're trying to say the Bible is truth. So, just some of the Bible is accurate? Do I get to pick and choose which parts I believe to be true?

VictorCreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #18
Shemtov
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorCreed View Post
Well, that seems odd if you're trying to say the Bible is truth. So, just some of the Bible is accurate? Do I get to pick and choose which parts I believe to be true?

When I say bible I mean the Jewish bible:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanakh

Shemtov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
rodhulk
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 7,979
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorCreed View Post
Well, that seems odd if you're trying to say the Bible is truth. So, just some of the Bible is accurate? Do I get to pick and choose which parts I believe to be true?
As you probably know, the Bible is in two parts, the majority of Jews accept only the first part (Old Covenant or Testament) while believers in Jesus accept the Old Covenant and also the New Covenant. The Old Covenant contains many "messianic" prophecies that the New Covenant shows were fulfilled in Jesus (or Yeshua which was his actual name). The Messiah had to come before 70 AD as the promised Messiah had his physical lineage prophecied in the old Covenant and since the records were destroyed in 70 AD, that means the Messiah must have come before 70 AD or else he will never come now because no Messiah can prove the Messianic physical line that needs to be proven in from the Old Covenant. Jesus or Yeshua fulfilled that line (written in New Covenant) and it was never debated from any records that I know of. This is why I would recommend the whole Bible, New and Old Covenants alike.

__________________
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.

(Isaiah 53:5)
rodhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #20
Shemtov
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhulk View Post
As you probably know, the Bible is in two parts, the majority of Jews accept only the first part (Old Covenant or Testament) while believers in Jesus accept the Old Covenant and also the New Covenant. The Old Covenant contains many "messianic" prophecies that the New Covenant shows were fulfilled in Jesus (or Yeshua which was his actual name). The Messiah had to come before 70 AD as the promised Messiah had his physical lineage prophecied in the old Covenant and since the records were destroyed in 70 AD, that means the Messiah must have come before 70 AD or else he will never come now because no Messiah can prove the Messianic physical line that needs to be proven in from the Old Covenant. Jesus or Yeshua fulfilled that line (written in New Covenant) and it was never debated from any records that I know of. This is why I would recommend the whole Bible, New and Old Covenants alike.
Everything in the Bold part is OT.

Shemtov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #21
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,068
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Facts and data are facts and data. The bible can crow about whatever it wants to but it doesnt change the facts and data. If tomorrow the bible was proven entirely correct and truth then all it would prove is that the story of creation in genesis was written in allegorical form because the data and facts prove evolution. So either genesis is an allegory of creation or genesis is a straight up lie from god. Creation didnt happen.Evolution did.

Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #22
Shemtov
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 3,867
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

You know what?
I've explained my view the best I can.
I can't say anymore, so I'm done with this thread.

Shemtov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #23
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

edit

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 08-14-2012 at 11:05 PM.
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #24
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,725
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemtov View Post
You know what?
I've explained my view the best I can.
I can't say anymore, so I'm done with this thread.
Well, when you ignore all the evidence what is there really to talk about?

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #25
VictorCreed
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 175
Default Re: Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemtov View Post
You know what?
I've explained my view the best I can.
I can't say anymore, so I'm done with this thread.
I just don't get how you can say that the Jesus part of the Bible is wrong, but all the stuff before that is totally true. If you claim that the Jesus part of the Bible is wrong, what's keeping other parts of it from being inaccurate?

VictorCreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.