The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
DerSpider-Boy
T.u.f.k.a. Goran

Default Is Superman a Jesus metaphor?

Not sure if this has been discussed. Sorry if that's the case!

With most of you Americans being quite conservative and very religious do you think it would be a good a idea to see Clark/Superman as a metaphor for Jesus in "MoS"... a type of messiah figure??

I got this idea while listening to Jor-Els words from the teaser trailer. It seemed very religion-themed to me. Jor-El sends his son to earth, who's raised by human parents, simple people. At some point in the comics he even dies and comes back to life shortly after. They could go the same route in a future installment. Also in the MoS teaser, Superman is confronted with the army, people seem to be afraid of him... This could be an analogy to the hatred that Jesus was confronted with.

Don't know if that'd be a good or a "dangerous" idea though... Didn't mean to offend anyone!

Kaya Scodelario for Mary Jane Watson!!

Last edited by DerSpider-Boy; 09-05-2012 at 03:59 AM.
DerSpider-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Superman as a metaphor for Jesus??

Have you seen SR?

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
DerSpider-Boy
T.u.f.k.a. Goran

yeah.. once ^^

But I'm talking about MoS... Could they possibly flesh out that theme in Zack Snyder's film too?

Kaya Scodelario for Mary Jane Watson!!
DerSpider-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
yeah.. once ^^

But I'm talking about MoS... Could they possibly flesh out that theme in Zack Snyder's film too?
I seriously hope not.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator

Singer's film. Donner's film.

Not a new concept.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: Is Superman A Jesus Metaphor?

The interesting thing for me is that I've never considered or known why some would consider Superman to a Jesus Metaphor since Superman's character fits more along the lines of Moses's character from the Old Testament of the bible:

1. Both were sent away by their biological parents in some type of a vessel as a means to protect them from when they were young.

2. Both happen to have arch nemesis who happened to be rich and bald.lol

3. Both were a child of two worlds, Moses being born Hebrew but raised Egyptian, while Clark was born on Krypton and later raised as a human.

4. Both had periods in their lives where they were doing some soul searching before ultimately finding their calling and returning back to their roots.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
The interesting thing for me is that I've never considered or known why some would consider Superman to a Jesus Metaphor since Superman's character fits more along the lines of Moses's character from the Old Testament of the bible:

1. Both were sent away by their biological parents in some type of a vessel as a means to protect them from when they were young.

2. Both happen to have arch nemesis who happened to be rich and bald.lol

3. Both were a child of two worlds, Moses being born Hebrew but raised Egyptian, while Clark was born on Krypton and later raised as a human.

4. Both had periods in their lives where they were doing some soul searching before ultimately finding their calling and returning back to their roots.
**** FINALLY!!! Someone else who said it, I've been saying that for years and people just laugh, ignorance....what to do lol.

Anyway I agree 100,000%

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
N7 Joseph Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

And the City of Kandor can represent the slaves and Brainiac the pharaoh... Then we can have a 'let my people go' moment!

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Mindreaper21
Side-Kick

This is exactly what I hate and it was one of the reasons I stopped caring for Superman. I've always felt that, in a way, it forced people to worship Superman. I believe it was the silver age that started to ruin him. Everyone accepted Superman and dubbed him the greatest hero ever. To me, that also took away from what all the other heroes have done. By Superman being Jesus-like, there would be no need for the Justice league and so on. Another reason that I don't like it is because he can be corrupted with red kryptonite and become more of an anti-christ figure making him a "corruptible Jesus". I liked Superman before this forced religion route. Writers should have continued to build on the alien aspect of Superman. Superman's alien heritage is what made me like him because it said to me "No matter who you are or where you come from, you can make a difference." Somewhere that was lost. I loved that Superman was "the hero of hope", but I didn't like him being depicted as being "The Savior".

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight

Last edited by Mindreaper21; 09-04-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: I meant silver age instead of golden age.
Mindreaper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
SuperFerret
This guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindreaper21 View Post
This is exactly what I hate and it was one of the reasons I stopped caring for Superman. I've always felt that, in a way, it forced people to worship Superman. I believe it was the golden age that started to ruin him. Everyone accepted Superman and dubbed him the greatest hero ever. To me, that also took away from what all the other heroes have done. By Superman being Jesus-like, there would be no need for the Justice league and so on. Another reason that I don't like it is because he can be corrupted with red kryptonite and become more of an anti-christ figure making him a "corruptible Jesus". I liked Superman before this forced religion route. Writers should have continued to build on the alien aspect of Superman. Superman's alien heritage is what made me like him because it said to me "No matter who you are or where you come from, you can make a difference." Somewhere that was lost. I loved that Superman was "the hero of hope", but I didn't like him being depicted as being "The Savior".
1. Superman started in the Golden Age.
2. Superman has always had religious undertones. Look at his origin.
3. Superman being Christ-like has never undermined a need for a Justice League.
4. Superman's alien aspect is directly tied to the Christ metaphor.

I don't even understand where you're getting your ideas from, let alone how you were a fan of Superman's without seeing this stuff.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Mindreaper21
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post

I don't even understand where you're getting your ideas from, let alone how you were a fan of Superman's without seeing this stuff.
I actually meant Silver Age and not Golden Age, which I have corrected. Also, I understand that Superman has always had religious undertones in which was not one of the issues I have stated. When I said that by making Superman "Jesus-like", there would be no need for the justice League, I was referring to Superman being all powerful and having the ability to solve most of the world's problem on his own. Being Jesus-like and being Christ-like have two different meanings to me. When someone is Christ-like, that is when you do the positive this as Jesus did. Being Jesus-like is like being a like Jesus in every aspect. Having a Christ-like personality and having that positive hopeful attitude IS what Superman is about. That is something that cannot be denied. Yes, I know that Superman's and Jesus' origin are similar, which is fine, yet again that was not an issue that I have stated.

My issue is with Superman being portrayed as either the second coming of Jesus, a replacement or "The Chosen One". Like some of those that mentioned jokingly Jor-el must be God etc., that is what the situation leads to unfortunately. Like I said...
"I didn't like him being depicted as being 'The Savior' ".
If you still cannot understand, then there is nothing else I can help you with.

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Mindreaper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
SuperFerret
This guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindreaper21 View Post
I actually meant Silver Age and not Golden Age, which I have corrected. Also, I understand that Superman has always had religious undertones in which was not one of the issues I have stated. When I said that by making Superman "Jesus-like", there would be no need for the justice League, I was referring to Superman being all powerful and having the ability to solve most of the world's problem on his own. Being Jesus-like and being Christ-like have two different meanings to me. When someone is Christ-like, that is when you do the positive this as Jesus did. Being Jesus-like is like being a like Jesus in every aspect. Having a Christ-like personality and having that positive hopeful attitude IS what Superman is about. That is something that cannot be denied. Yes, I know that Superman's and Jesus' origin are similar, which is fine, yet again that was not an issue that I have stated.

My issue is with Superman being portrayed as either the second coming of Jesus, a replacement or "The Chosen One". Like some of those that mentioned jokingly Jor-el must be God etc., that is what the situation leads to unfortunately. Like I said...
"I didn't like him being depicted as being 'The Savior' ".
If you still cannot understand, then there is nothing else I can help you with.
I understand. I'm going to just completely disagree. Especially on the idea that using his first name instead of his last name makes the comparison different. But I get a hint as to where this is going, so whatever.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
Transcended
Gunning for Metal

Quote:

Yeah, this.

The metaphor has always been inherent in his character; you can't get away from it if you're portraying him correctly. You can play it up or down, but regardless, it'll be there.

Personally, I think it adds pathos to his character – the fact that so many people see him as a god isolates him in many ways, when he is still a man with feelings, doubts, trials, etc. He has the weight of the world on his shoulders and there's no way to shrug it off. (Which is Christ-like in and of itself, of course.)

Old 09-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #14
Superfreak
Gramaton Cleric

Quote:
wait... Jesus is an alien? no wonder we killed him

Old 09-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
SuperFerret
This guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
wait... Jesus is an alien? no wonder we killed him
A mangod who originates from on high? Yeah, sounds pretty alien to me.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
Slugster
the Slugster

the writers were both Jews and they took the Messiah from the Torah promised by God.
and Made him into Superman. So ???

Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
superhero#1
Side-Kick

I guess that mean zod is satan.

superhero#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
The Guard
Side-Kick

The parallells to Moses and Jesus are pretty clear. He's become a Christ Figure over the years, but lots of characters have been. He's kind of inherently a savior type figure, though he's not a literal messiah, other than to his own people occassionally in the comics.

Quote:

This.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So I guess this still make Jor-El God...

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #20
sethypants
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero#1 View Post
I guess that mean zod is satan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
So I guess this still make Jor-El God...
Actually Lex Luthor has always shown devil like character, tempting Superman and being jealous of him.
Also, Superman has lotsa devil like villains like Satanus and etc.
There are also too many coincidences. Jor-el sending his son to earth and all. a young couple adopted superman. Johnathan and Martha. Joseph and Mary.
He was born on earth and raised up by great parents. But at the same time Superman has always had a very close relationship to Jor El. Via a certain mean. Be it in the fortress of solitude or other means. Kinda like how Jesus always talked to god and had a close relationship with god.

I mean the coincidences are just way too many. Both of them also died and came back to life in a few days. I'm sure the new film will draw influences also. I mean look at Jor El and Pa Kent's speech

You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They'll race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. In time, they join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders. -Jor El

You're not just anyone. One day you're going to have to make a choice, you have to decide what kinda man you want to grow up to be. Whoever that man is, good character or bad, its going to change the world. - Pa Kent

No other characters in DC or Marvel have their supporting characters say things like "you'll give the people an ideal to strive towards" no other character would be told by their father, they are going to change the world. Could you imagine someone telling Spiderman or Captain America that? I never saw Spiderman or Captain America as someone that is an ideal or that he will change the world. But I see Superman as someone with limitless power that can save the world.
Over the years writers have plenty of times written Superman as someone who is a Jesus Metaphor. Even Grant Morrison.

sethypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #21
fanboiii
disciple of truth

El does mean god.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_(deity)

Michael, Raphael, Gabriel, Israel, etc.

Last edited by fanboiii; 09-04-2012 at 08:46 PM.
fanboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
superhero#1
Side-Kick

God banished satan from heaven.Jor-el (god) banished satan (zod) out of krypton.

superhero#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #23
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't think Superman's ever been portrayed as the second coming of Jesus. Not in mainstream comics/film at least.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #24
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Not particularly Jesus , but of course he represents a Man God. That's his role , and its one of the most fascinating ideas behind Superman.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #25
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

All this debate needs is one official photo of Superman and Zod having a big ol punch up.

Jesus might turn the other cheek. Superman rams the cheek through a wall.

*\S/T*