The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 1

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!!

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
cryptic name
No Limits
 
cryptic name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 8,874
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I was checked out of the movie the second his helmet came off. I would have the following a pass;

a) Officers take the helmet off when Dredd is arrested.

b) The helmet (and uniform) comes off before he is checked out into the cursed earth.

c) The helmet comes off in darkness but Dredd's features are rearranged by a machine, I guess to resemble Stallone.

If they'd done any of the above I could have lived with sans helmet Dredd, but the nonchalant why the helmet comes off was a middle finger to the fans.
I absolutely agree. I dunno, the whole framed/cursed earth story is problematic for this reason. I like that they tried to do the Rico story and introduced the Angel family but...ugh it just sucks so much.

If they do the cursed Earth in a hypothetical sequel to this Dredd, I hope they go with a version of the comics story where Dredd has to lead a caravan to deliver the cure to a plague that's ravaging another Mega City. Go all Road Warrior with it. Could be really cool.

__________________
"All I really need to know is this: Batman always comes back, bigger and better, shiny and new. Batman never dies. It never ends. It probably never will."

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues
 
Balthus Dire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 12,688
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

God...just watching this makes me facepalm.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Balthus Dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing
 
Rowsdower!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 13,094
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
God...just watching this makes me facepalm.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I AM!

THE LAW!

Good God, I'd almost forgotten how awful Stallone's acting was in this movie. And I don't even think he's a bad actor like Arnold, Dolph, Chuck and some of his other action movie counterparts. But wow. He sure gave an awful performance in that movie.

__________________

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 43,294
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
they were just boned by Stallone's vanity and a desired pg-13 rating
Was it really Stallone's fault? Because I often come across people saying that Stallone wanted to keep the helmet on, but the Studio heads paid for his face, so he needed to take the helmet off.

__________________
Attack On Unicron
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
cryptic name
No Limits
 
cryptic name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 8,874
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Was it really Stallone's fault? Because I often come across people saying that Stallone wanted to keep the helmet on, but the Studio heads paid for his face, so he needed to take the helmet off.
What I've heard from Danny Cannon is that the film underwent some fairly significant changes to suit Stallone's wishes. I'm sure the studio wanted it that way too, though.

What I've always wondered is, if they wanted Stallone's face, why didn't they have him play Rico as well as Dredd? The two are supposed to be clones, afterall. And it would have been a potentially cool thing to see. Oh well. We have an actual Dredd flick now.

__________________
"All I really need to know is this: Batman always comes back, bigger and better, shiny and new. Batman never dies. It never ends. It probably never will."

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing
 
Rowsdower!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 13,094
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic name View Post
What I've heard from Danny Cannon is that the film underwent some fairly significant changes to suit Stallone's wishes. I'm sure the studio wanted it that way too, though.

What I've always wondered is, if they wanted Stallone's face, why didn't they have him play Rico as well as Dredd? The two are supposed to be clones, afterall. And it would have been a potentially cool thing to see. Oh well. We have an actual Dredd flick now.
Helmet or no helmet... that didn't bother me. But that stupid codpiece... seriously, what were they thinking with that horrid thing?

__________________

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #9
spider-neil
spins a web any size!
 
spider-neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,520
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Helmet or no helmet... that didn't bother me. But that stupid codpiece... seriously, what were they thinking with that horrid thing?
Dredd without his helmet, for me at least is a big deal. Dredd never takes his helmet off, ever* so that would be like Batman without the cowl**, Superman without the cape***, Spider-Man without the mask****.

* Dredd has appeared without his mask but;
Had his face rearranged by a machine.
Had bandages covering his face.

** Batman has appeared in several elseworld tales without his cowl

*** Electric Superman had no cape

**** Spider-Man is forever taking his mask off in the comics and movies

All of that is true but Dredd is perticular is famous for not taking his mask off so more than any other superhero it IS a big deal.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler
 
wobbly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 7,565
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Dredd without his helmet, for me at least is a big deal. Dredd never takes his helmet off, ever* so that would be like Batman without the cowl**, Superman without the cape***, Spider-Man without the mask****.

* Dredd has appeared without his mask but;
Had his face rearranged by a machine.
Had bandages covering his face.

** Batman has appeared in several elseworld tales without his cowl

*** Electric Superman had no cape

**** Spider-Man is forever taking his mask off in the comics and movies

All of that is true but Dredd is perticular is famous for not taking his mask off so more than any other superhero it IS a big deal.
Agreed, though Dredd was also seen without his helmet for the 'Dead Man' story, however he was badly scarred (had been badly burned all over his body) with no memory, so the readers didn't know it was Dredd until near the end of that story. We did learn from that one though that his bionic eyes (acquired after having his real eyes torn out during City of the Damned) have square Irises.

But that is the point: No artist has ever been allowed to draw Dredd's actual face fully, nor should they. It's kinda like the Doctor Doom deal.

__________________
To see some gratuitous Wobbly Bits just hit the link :)
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #11
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.
 
Brian Braddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 13,069
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic name View Post
What I've heard from Danny Cannon is that the film underwent some fairly significant changes to suit Stallone's wishes. I'm sure the studio wanted it that way too, though.

What I've always wondered is, if they wanted Stallone's face, why didn't they have him play Rico as well as Dredd? The two are supposed to be clones, afterall. And it would have been a potentially cool thing to see. Oh well. We have an actual Dredd flick now.
THANK YOU!!!!

I've said the same for years [many a time in here, no less].

__________________
Klaus Hergesheimer - checking radiation shields....
Brian Braddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
cryptic name
No Limits
 
cryptic name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 8,874
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
THANK YOU!!!!

I've said the same for years [many a time in here, no less].
Cheers!

__________________
"All I really need to know is this: Batman always comes back, bigger and better, shiny and new. Batman never dies. It never ends. It probably never will."

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
spider-neil
spins a web any size!
 
spider-neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,520
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic name View Post
Wha

What I've always wondered is, if they wanted Stallone's face, why didn't they have him play Rico as well as Dredd? The two are supposed to be clones, afterall.
That is inspired. Dredd keeps his helmet on, stallone gets to show his face as Rico, everyone is happy. It's a pity you weren't in charge when they were making this movie.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
cryptic name
No Limits
 
cryptic name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 8,874
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
That is inspired. Dredd keeps his helmet on, stallone gets to show his face as Rico, everyone is happy. It's a pity you weren't in charge when they were making this movie.
Haha, thanks. But I think it would have been a hard sell for them to take notes from a 6-year-old.

__________________
"All I really need to know is this: Batman always comes back, bigger and better, shiny and new. Batman never dies. It never ends. It probably never will."

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
rogue trooper
Side-Kick
 
rogue trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,325
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

I love The Dark Judges for the sequel, but I'd be just as happy if we get The Angel Gang(including Fink) and or Chief-Judge Cal instead.

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
spider-neil
spins a web any size!
 
spider-neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,520
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic name View Post
Haha, thanks. But I think it would have been a hard sell for them to take notes from a 6-year-old.
The movie is so bad they probably did take notes from a 6 year old.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,758
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

You know, I don't actually think Dredd did *change* in the remake. He's a hardass certainly, but he's a hardass who does things like:

1. Give a harmless beggar fair warning to stop lawbreaking rather than letting him go unwarned

2. Took down a couple kids nonlethally who were pointing guns at him, because they were clearly dumb kids over their heads

3. Told Anderson that "99% certain isn't good enough to execute a man."

Dredd at the end of the movie didn't soften his views on the law. Rather, he softened his views on *Anderson*, who showed that she was both learning the lessons, and had judgement and conviction to match her idealism.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
Kane52630
Deadcruiser
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 62,109
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

I've seen clips of Stallone's Dredd film but I never got around and watch the entire thing. I may have to find a way to watch it.

__________________
Starve the Ego Feed the Soul
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues
 
Balthus Dire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 12,688
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
You know, I don't actually think Dredd did *change* in the remake. He's a hardass certainly, but he's a hardass who does things like:

1. Give a harmless beggar fair warning to stop lawbreaking rather than letting him go unwarned

2. Took down a couple kids nonlethally who were pointing guns at him, because they were clearly dumb kids over their heads

3. Told Anderson that "99% certain isn't good enough to execute a man."

Dredd at the end of the movie didn't soften his views on the law. Rather, he softened his views on *Anderson*, who showed that she was both learning the lessons, and had judgement and conviction to match her idealism.
But in the process, he softened his black and white perspective. Anderson says herself that she failed the test early on because she lost her gun. Dredd mentioned that constitutes an immediate fail. Yet, in the end, he passes her. He learns that maybe not everything can or should be taken at face value, that there are, in fact, grey areas. Though subtle, that's a pretty big change for a character like Dredd IMO.

Balthus Dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 23,637
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

^Exactly Balthus, the Dredd at the start of the movie would have definately failed Anderson for losing her weapon, but through his interactions with her and obviously what they went through together he softened, looked at the world a little differently, especially by the end.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
cryptic name
No Limits
 
cryptic name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 8,874
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

It gets its own close up too...

__________________
"All I really need to know is this: Batman always comes back, bigger and better, shiny and new. Batman never dies. It never ends. It probably never will."

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #22
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues
 
Balthus Dire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 12,688
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

A close up that would make Joel Schumacher proud.

Balthus Dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #23
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro
 
LuisTX85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13,984
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Dredd has tanked at the box office But has mostly positive reviews from both critics&fans and maybe dvd/blu-ray sales&rentals will do decent that a sequel will be greenlit
,I'm doubting it right now But I'm hoping so bad that one day in the near future I read and article with the headline reading"Dredd gets a sequel AND Karl Urban returns for the role"

__________________
Tales of the Fox
LuisTX85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #24
Spark
Side-Kick
 
Spark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 813
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

I still think a sequel is on the cards.

Oh and Giant was originally failed before he went on to redeem himself. Sometimes the circumstances require a bit of leeway.

Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #25
batman1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 32
Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisTX85 View Post
Dredd has tanked at the box office But has mostly positive reviews from both critics&fans and maybe dvd/blu-ray sales&rentals will do decent that a sequel will be greenlit
,I'm doubting it right now But I'm hoping so bad that one day in the near future I read and article with the headline reading"Dredd gets a sequel AND Karl Urban returns for the role"
i watched Dredd on netflix like 20 times. It's awesome and deserves at least a trilogy. They messed up the marketing or the movie would have skyrocked like all the other action movies. They need a sequel to make things right.

batman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.