The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Do you think the Republican Party needs to evolve and become more inclusive?
Yes 48 84.21%
No 6 10.53%
I'm not sure 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XIV

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
SentinelMind
Banned User

Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XII

back to our regularly scheduled program...

so apparently the thunderstorm may postpone the GOP convention.

http://professional.wsj.com/article/...&mg=reno64-wsj

Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
Perhaps the GOP should look at right wing parties in other Western Democracies. There are parties out there who believe in less government and lower taxes, who don't think the world is 6000 years old. :woot:
buncha phonies

;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Pa - Part 12

lol at this

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/articl...e-groups-recor

Quote:
ELECTION 2012: Susan B. Anthony List Blames Losses on Inadequate Focus on Abortion; Their Record Proves Otherwise

The anti-choice political action arm of the Susan B. Anthony List invested considerable resources into influencing the presidential race in the final weeks of the campaign, hoping to eke out a win for Republican Mitt Romney. Instead, President Barack Obama was re-elected, a fatet they say rests solely on the shoulders of Romney for not bringing the abortion issue up more frequently.

According to Roll Call, SBA List President Marjorie Dannenfelser believed it was a "strategic error" of Romney's campaign not to highlight the candidates' differences on abortion more clearly.
"Voters overwhelmingly disagree with the extreme positions on abortion taken by President Obama and the Democrats. Mitt Romney, the Republican Party, and their Super PAC allies never highlighted this vulnerability, despite the fact that our polling of likely swing voters revealed it to be a persuasive line of argument. What was presented as discipline by the Romney campaign by staying on one message — the economy — was a strategic error that resulted in a winning margin of pro-life votes being left on the table."

Old 11-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Paradoxium

The Republicans deserve to be destroyed.

This is what they will do as a "lesson" from this election:

- continue nuthugging anti-abortionism
- continue nuthugging tax cuts for the rich
- kiss furious Latino ass and fail at it
- continue to demonize libertarians

In other words, prioritize abortion over god damn fiscal sanity. That's what conservatism in America means nowadays.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
Fading
>:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxium View Post
The Republicans deserve to be destroyed.

This is what they will do as a "lesson" from this election:

- continue nuthugging anti-abortionism
- continue nuthugging tax cuts for the rich
- kiss furious Latino ass and fail at it
- continue to demonize libertarians

In other words, prioritize abortion over god damn fiscal sanity. That's what conservatism in America means nowadays.
Toss in their obsession with increasing the defense budget, and we're at a consensus. Though I don't agree with them being destroyed. I want to see them restructure and come back strong, rather than just go away.

I was watching Morning Joe one morning during the election, and Joe made the point that Romney's hard right ideals were more caricatures of conservatism, but not actually true conservatism. You can't say you're fiscally sound when you refuse to cut a deficit reduction deal because you refuse to get rid of tax breaks, while wanting to increase already bloated budgets. I do give it to the Republicans for wanting to talk budget more than the Democrats. However, they're even more stuborn on their golden cows than the Dems. Atleast the Dems are willing to talk Medicare. The Reps are so beholden to Norquist that talking tax hikes is sacrilege.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

I dont like the two party system, but a one party system is even worse.

The Republicans need to change their platform. There is nothing wrong with espousing religious views, but they cant harp on them as they do. It turns people off. They should promote financial conservatism and smaller government but they cant just pander to old white people. The 1950s are gone and they aint coming back.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
The 1950s are gone and they aint coming back.
This sort of reminds me of the Republican National Convention, every person got on stage as was talking about the Good Ol' Days(when they had to walk uphill both ways to get to school), it just started to get comical

Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well to be fair, the 1950's were awesome.

If you were a white, straight, Protestant male. And that's basically 80% of Republicans.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #10
Fading
>:(

Minority growth has dramatically increased. I saw an article that said the last 16 years saw more growth in minority populations than the last 60 before it. You guys are right, white males alone will no win anyone an election anymore. It will help of course, but not be the sole deciding factor. The latino, and black vote really helped Obama get relected. At the same time, our politicians should never have been only pandering to one demographic in the first place anyway (talking idealistically where we treat everyone equally). The population shift is going to force Republicans to take a look at their stances on several issues, like women's rights, and immigration, if they want to stay relevant. There are minorities out there that want to vote Republican, they're just not being given much reason to.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #11
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

The Republican party will be going through a big transition within the next couple of decades, whether they like it or not.

Once old hardcore white guys finally start dying off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #12
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

I'm thinking Chris Christie will run and possibly get the nomination for 2016.

Last edited by The Squirrel; 11-08-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #13
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I can see Rubio, Brown, and Christie running in 2016.

There's also Scott Walker, Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley.

Doubt Jeb will run, but he's actually not a bad choice, all things considered.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I can see Rubio, Brown, and Christie running in 2016.

There's also Scott Walker, Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley.

Doubt Jeb will run, but he's actually not a bad choice, all things considered.
I see 2016 fielding a much stronger crop than 2012 for the GOP.

My guess is the big names will be on the moderate, fiscal side: Chris Christie, John Huntsman, probably Jeb Bush and maybe Nikki Haley. On the more far-right ideological side we'll see: Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio, Bobby Jindal, Scott Walker possibly Rand Paul and probably some of the 2012 wingnuts like Rick Perry return.

It will be a party divided. Honestly, I hope rationality returns to them and they field a sane candidate who doesn't have to pander to the Tea Party. But they will either make their moderate destroy themselves that way or finally run a fringe candidate like Limbaugh and his ilk have been begging for since '08. If that happens, the Dems will cake walk to another victory. Time will tell.

--John Adams
Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Default New poll!

New thread means another new poll! It's a very honest question that many people are asking following the second straight general election loss. The exit poll breakdown suggests that the Republican party has a major problem with diversity. Can the GOP survive with a base that mainly consists of older, white voters? Do you feel the they need to be more inclusive? Do they need to evolve in their ideology? What do you think?

Please be sure to vote!

Last edited by Marx; 11-08-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
Frodo
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XIV

As far as the top of the ticket goes, the next nominee is gonna have to be less angry, more tolerant, and more optimistic in terms of a vision for the future. Truth be told,he's also gotta be a likeable guy. Charm goes a long way into reaching people who may not agree with you on all of the issues. The ironic thing is that Republicans seem to always tout Reagan as a model yet they always seem to ignore his positive stlye and message. I think the next Republican who has a clear and optimistic vision for a 21st century America, will be the next President.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
SoulManX
The Inspector!

Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
As far as the top of the ticket goes, the next nominee is gonna have to be less angry, more tolerant, and more optimistic in terms of a vision for the future. Truth be told,he's also gotta be a likeable guy. Charm goes a long way into reaching people who may not agree with you on all of the issues. The ironic thing is that Republicans seem to always tout Reagan as a model yet they always seem to ignore his positive stlye and message. I think the next Republican who has a clear and optimistic vision for a 21st century America, will be the next President.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
SoulManX
The Inspector!

Default Re: New poll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
New thread means another new poll! It's a very honest question that many people are asking following the second straight general election loss. The exit poll breakdown suggests that the Republican party has a major problem with diversity. Can the GOP survive with a base that mainly consists of older, white voters? Do you feel the they need to be more inclusive? Do they need to evolve in their ideology? What do you think?

Please be sure to vote!
The Pack will need to do some soul searching to win the hearts and minds of this country...they WILLneed to evolve with the current seasons ahead

Old 11-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #19
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: New poll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post

Please be sure to vote!
They can survive for a while this way. The honest truth is older white voters are more likely to turn out for midterm elections than younger voters or minorities. That combined with the stunning gerrymandering that happened post-2010 should keep them in control of the House until at least 2022. But if they continue being the bigoted, angry, whiny and old white man party, they are going to continue to lose the White House and lose more and more Senate races where they have to appeal to broader demographics than a single conservative district.

My hope is the party starts moving to the center and sanity again immediately by cutting a bipartisan debt deal with Obama in the next two months. Then focus on things like immigration which can help them with hispanics and help our country would be wise. However, I feel given that Boehner is scared of Cantor getting his job, McConnell is cranky and how after losing a lot of major races, including the White House, this week they're already declaring they will continue to say no to governing and responsibility....I think not.

My gut tells me that the Tea Party fringe won't be finally silenced by the party until they get their way and they run a nutjob for president in 2016. Paul Ryan, Rand Paul or someone of the like. Once that goes down in flames like Goldwater did in 1964, they may finally decide to join this century.

--John Adams
Closed Thread