SHH! Global Moderator

Default Jamie Foxx IS Electro

As per Variety

Quote:
Jamie Foxx in early talks to play 'Spiderman 2' villain
Thesp would play Electro in Sony movie
Thu., Nov. 1, 2012, 12:01pm PT
By Justin Kroll

It looks like Sony's "The Amazing Spiderman 2" is coming together faster than expected as sources tell Variety the studio is in early talks with Jamie Foxx to play the villain in the movie.

Though the studio would not comment on the character sources have also told Variety that Foxx would play Electro in the pic.

Electro, is the namesake of Max Dillon, an enemy of Spider-Man who gains the ability to control electricity after being struck by lightning. Created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, the character first appeared in "The Amazing Spider-Man #9" in February 1964.

In "The Amazing Spider-Man's" post-credit sequence, set inside Dr. Curt Connors' cell at an asylum, the Lizard is approached by a mysterious, shadowy figure (Michael Massee) who asks if Peter Parker knows the truth about his father. Lightning features prominently in the scene prompting auds to believe that Electro would be featured in the sequel.

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are on board to return with Shailene Woodley in talks to join the cast as well. Marc Webb is also set to return to direct.

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing the sequel, whose screenplay will be credited to frequent tentpole scribes Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, as well as Jeff Pinkner, based on a previous draft by James Vanderbilt. "The Amazing Spider-Man" grossed $751 million worldwide, and the sequel is skedded to swing into theaters in 3D on May 2, 2014.

As for Foxx, Sony has already begun building a relationship with the thesp. Besides distributing "Django Unchained," overseas, Foxx currently stars in "White House Down" opposite Channing Tatum, which Sony is viewing as one of its major tentpoles next summer.

He is repped by CAA and Montone/Yorn.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
Spider-Aziz
Greatest Hulk Show

Default Re: Jamie Foxx IS Electro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Sympathetic? What's so sympathetic about him? Raimi's brock & venom> the comics.
:applaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Oh, very much so. Why does venom hate spider-man in the comics? Because...he got exposed writing a fake news story. Alright then. :dry:
And he doesn't go back at his boss, who fired Brock cause the fake Sin Eater wasn't really a secret

Old 11-17-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Default Re: Jamie Foxx IS Electro - Part 1

Since I've been watching movies, for me the most memorable and charismatic villians have been;

The villian in Die Hard
The villian in TDK
The villian in No country for old men
The villian in The Matrix
The Villian in You only live twice

I want a Spidey villian that delivers that level of gravitas so we can say we have been given the Spider-Man movie we've waited all our lives for.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:02 AM   #5
Oscorp
Koloss

Someone said Electro's appeared in the 616 comics less than 10 times. Is that really true?

Old 11-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
DerSpider-Boy
T.u.f.k.a. Goran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Someone said Electro's appeared in the 616 comics less than 10 times. Is that really true?
No, he meant Max Dillon

Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #7
<(o_o)>
Evangeline Is My Hero!

I could see them recycling Storm's line to Toad in X-Men, "Do You Know What Happens To A Toad When It Is Struck By Lightning, The Same Thing That Happens To Everything Else."

Now Electro's line to Spider-Man will be "Do You Know What Happens To A Spider When It Is Zapped By 1,000,000 Watts Of Electricity? That Bug Gets Juiced."

or

"With Great Power Comes Great Frying."

Last edited by <(o_o)>; 11-17-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by <(o_o)> View Post
I could see them recycling Storm's line to Toad in X-Men, "Do You Know What Happens To A Toad When It Is Struck By Lightning, The Same Thing That Happens To Everything Else."

Now Electro's line to Spider-Man will be "Do You Know What Happens To A Spider When It Is Zapped By 1,000,000 Watts Of Electricity? That Bug Gets Juiced."

or

"With Great Power Comes Great Frying."
First one's great,especially if he says it in a cold and chilly voice

Old 11-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
Oscorp
Koloss

Nice avy <(o_o)>

Old 11-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

yeah im beginning to think that with the make-up and the heavy CGI any questions about racial identity will be redundant. Remember Electro from the MTV series?

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Old 11-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
Spider-Aziz
Greatest Hulk Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
Remember Electro from the MTV series?
His picture was posted on page 40 of the past thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

I like the idea of Electro being a disgrunted employee who is not played compensation for the incident he has

Though it looks like too small a reason to go on vendetta against the city but they can start building from there

Old 11-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
SpiderMarvelite
Banned User

Maybe he's hired as a low level thug and experimented on by Osborn to kill Spider-Man.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMarvelite View Post
Maybe he's hired as a low level thug and experimented on by Osborn to kill Spider-Man.
Or perhaps he's a criminal with a mysterious past tied to Oscorp, serving a life sentence.

And he's offered a chance at freedom by Oscorp if he agrees to the experiment that would turn him into Electro.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I kinda want to see Electro as someone who already has powers and we find out how this came to be through flashbacks, but he's a special bodyguard for the dying Norman Osborn. Maybe if Dr. Ratha shows up in the sequel, Osborn sends Electro to kill him since he hasn't done his job with testing out Connors' serum or possibly for pushing Connors into making a useless serum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Since I've been watching movies, for me the most memorable and charismatic villians have been;

The villian in Die Hard
The villian in TDK
The villian in No country for old men
The villian in The Matrix
The Villian in You only live twice

I want a Spidey villian that delivers that level of gravitas so we can say we have been given the Spider-Man movie we've waited all our lives for.
I see these lists of memorable villains, and I gotta say...I feel that Hardy's Bane is very much underrated.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I see these lists of memorable villains, and I gotta say...I feel that Hardy's Bane is very much underrated.

How so? His origin was rushed and fairly unexplained. His exit was terrible. He was way too hard to understand... He's not in any means part of any top 10 villains list, IMO anyways.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. SpideyK"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 11-18-2012, 03:35 AM   #17
Oscorp
Koloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I kinda want to see Electro as someone who already has powers and we find out how this came to be through flashbacks, but he's a special bodyguard for the dying Norman Osborn. Maybe if Dr. Ratha shows up in the sequel, Osborn sends Electro to kill him since he hasn't done his job with testing out Connors' serum or possibly for pushing Connors into making a useless serum.

Rather than flashbacks, I want Peter to find out about Electro's origin by his own.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #18
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Rather than flashbacks, I want Peter to find out about Electro's origin by his own.
I'd rather they skip the Electro origin altogether. Anything that isn't directly driving the story should be cut, Webb and co are spinning too many plates as it is.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Exactly
Something like Electro kicking his ass big time and then Spidey snooping around at OSCORP and learning his origin through experiment files and we see a quick montage.Would save a lot of time aswell

Then he makes additions to his costumes/gadgets and uses rubber tipped costume or something like that in the final fight

Old 11-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Anyone who thinks Bane is one of the all time great villians is kidding themselves.
Well apparently a lot of people are kidding themselves, huh?

Quote:
I say flashbacks mostly because I want Electro to have powers from the start, but if Peter can find out himself, it would still call for flashbacks to show the viewer, lol.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #21
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Tom Hardy's Bane had great screen presence. Any time he was on screen you knew **** was going to go down. I thought that made him a pretty great villain, just his mere presence was intimidating. And this is coming from someone who didn't particularly like TDKR.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #22
JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post
Tom Hardy's Bane had great screen presence. Any time he was on screen you knew **** was going to go down. I thought that made him a pretty intimidating and great villain, this coming from someone who didn't particularly like TDKR.
True, but you had to pay attention too much to know what he was saying. Almost took me out of it. The way he gets taken out too is completely anti-climactic...

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. SpideyK"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #23
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
His picture was posted on page 40 of the past thread
Yes but no one continued the discussion

The thing about why I consider Electro as Spidey's Riddler is because that's pretty much who Edward Nygma was: this "disgruntled employee" who eventually loses himself into his moniker; instead of being "the ultimate foe" both are right up there as traditional supervillains and I think that's a great place to build up a story on. I mean, we don't really see supervillains of that sort in recent films anyway: Magneto, Ra's Al Ghul etc. all exist in such a grey area that it almost feels as though the film-makers are encouraging the audience to make up their own minds about heroism and villainy; Doc Ock, Sandman, Lizard, Smallville's Lex Luthor, Two-Face, are all "sympathetic" figures; the Iron Man villains are too one-dimensional to the point where you don't care about them; the Joker and Loki are absolutes; Bane's a monster-as-a-political-dictator; and the Abomination is... well... another monster.

The truly classical "supervillains" that pop out of the zany and colourful world of the comics has been Goblin, Red-Skull, and the mad-scientist Hector from GL. Yes they aren't as critically revered as the Joker or Doc Ock, but that's because those movies had problems of their own. What I loved in particular about The First Avenger was how much it felt like a comic-book, same with SM1. I get that this trilogy isn't going in that direction but even in The Dark Knight they didn't forget that these are still essentially superhero movies that are larger-than-life. Scarecrow becomes a "supervillain drug-dealer," Lau, while being a "glorified accountant" is operating on a level that you don't expect a real-life mob-accountant to deal with. Each of these villains pushes their entire world to this heightened/extreme level of reality. Webb's Spidey series has that potential but he lost that subtlety with the Lizard. It's a precarious balance: on one side you can't go too far that the character ceases to be a supervillain and on the other you can't go too deep that he stops being believable. At the same time the traditional "supervillain" doesn't necessarily have to represent an absolute concept like the Joker and Loki do, but what he should take from the Joker and Loki is the idea that they took their gimmicks and went to a larger-than-life extremity with them. Does... that make sense at all?

The MTV Electro was again a sympathetic figure, but that was on the first half of the show, he later became so twisted in his logic that you stopped sympathising with the guy. He was using his "tragedy" as an excuse to fuel his own immoral deeds. I want something like that with Electro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
True, but you had to pay attention too much to know what he was saying. Almost took me out of it. The way he gets taken out too is completely anti-climactic...
I think there was something really poetic about how this larger-than-life dictator just crumbled like that. Maybe its just me but I loved the fact that it was anti-climactic. Sends the message that all that heroism and supervillainy comes down to nothing. TDKR was a post-superhero superhero movie, it was about how that bizarre and operatic world could be brought back to normalcy: no more heroes, no more villains. Just ordinary folks. Bane, like Batman and Joker, was aspiring towards that existence -- his end justified the message that in the end you don't try to be above people to become a hero. Symbols like Bane and Batman become undone in their own spectacles, what's important is that at the end of the day you no longer need to be larger-than-life in order to be heroic. I loved every moment of it.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:

Last edited by Nave 'Torment'; 11-18-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #24
Oscorp
Koloss

Great post Nave!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #25
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
I agree -- that'd be so much more tasteful than just giving us "flash-backs" or some sort of unrelated subplot involving his entire life-history. I like that we finally got an investigative Pete on-film (and that's probably the only positive thing you'll hear me say about Webb's Parker)

Quote:
Great post Nave!
Hey, thanks! A hero's only as good as the villains right? They need to work on making them compelling rather than to humanise them as psuedo-father figures...all the time.

Closed Thread