Characterization

Impact

Skills/Talents

MAKAVELI25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Bane or the Joker?

Motivation - Joker(would be Bane until Talia made the reveal, because, while I don't view Bane as some 'lapdog', Joker was on his own)

Characterization - Both

Impact - Joker during his time and after; Bane only during his time of reign

Skills/Talents - Has to be Bane because of his training; Joker didn't really have any skills except to **** with your head and magic tricks

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
kvz5
HBIC

IMO...

Motivation - Joker

Characterization - Joker

Impact - Joker

Skills/Talents - The only thing Bane has over the Joker is his physical strength but other than that, the Joker still has this.

Last edited by kvz5; 11-19-2012 at 05:05 PM.
kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
IMO...

Motivation - Joker

Characterization - Joker

Impact - Joker

Skills/Talents - The only thing Bane has over the Joker is his physical strength but other than that, I still the Joker still has this.
I must agree with your post 110%

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Ramsay Snow
Winter's Saviour

Motivation - like the Joker more even though in theory I like Bane more because it's more personal, but the way things were executed - I like Joker's motivation more.

Characterisation - This is kinda tough for me. I like the Joker more because I like villains who are more independent (not to say that Bane wasn't)but then I also like villains who are mercenaries, military-minded and more physical. I think I'll give this one to the Joker but then again, I think this is kinda unfair because I wasn't expecting anything from Joker (or anything from the film at all) but with Bane I had so many preconceived notions so I dunno.

Impact - This may be kind of unfair because Joker had far more impact but then I'd never seen many films before that time, so it'd be a given that I would be blown away.

Skills/Talents - I loved that Bane had brawn and brains - great fighter with tactical mind. An incredible mix. I like these kind of characters so I'll go with Bane here, but the Joker's talents were insane and he survived through so much without the skills that Bane has - so I'm not really sure with this one.

These will probably change tomorrow

Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Seeing as everone knew this was gonna be the last film in the trilogy when making it Bane was merely just a device to allow Bruce to move on IMO if they had intentions to make another I think the outcome of this film would have been a hell of a lot different. With The Joker they had a lot more freedom I feel.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Deserana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Monicabbm
Side-Kick

Joker

Monicabbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

The Joker for every single category. His motivation, characterization, and impact were all better than Bane's.

As for skill, Joker climbed up from being a common bank robber to the top man in Gotham's underworld, he destroyed Harvey Dent, he killed Rachel, turned Gotham into chaos, and he turned all of Gotham against Batman. He did all of that without inheriting a global organization like the LOS and it's resources and knowledge.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
The Joker for every single category. His motivation, characterization, and impact were all better than Bane's.

As for skill, Joker climbed up from being a common bank robber to the top man in Gotham's underworld, he destroyed Harvey Dent, he killed Rachel, turned Gotham into chaos, and he turned all of Gotham against Batman. He did all of that without inheriting a global organization like the LOS and it's resources and knowledge.
This!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Ryan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post

Agreed. Joker left Batman in a situation that actually made him go underground and give up the cape and cowl. Bane actually made Batman comeback, win and become a martyr in the end.

Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Joker in all aspects. Bane has the physical strength over Joker, but Joker's talents are different. He's able to get inside your head and bring you to his lever. He will take your advantage and turn it around on you to balance out the fight. He takes you out of your comfort zone, and I'll take that over brute strength any day.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Bane was quite good and I'm liking him more after rewatches, though The Joker has this in all categories. He does that to pretty much everybody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeatKitchen View Post
Bane has the physical strength over Joker, but Joker's talents are different. He's able to get inside your head and bring you to his lever. He will take your advantage and turn it around on you to balance out the fight. He takes you out of your comfort zone, and I'll take that over brute strength any day.
Well said. I'm sure Joker would mix things up with Bane's plans, where strength and muscle size began to mean little.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
Victarion
Cut

I was more into Bane's desire to prove himself superior to Ra's Al Ghul and the Batman. His plan was also far grander than the Joker's. More widespread. However the Joker's plan had a greated personal impact on Batman/Bruce Wayne, I think.

Therefore, for me, Bane takes 3 of your categories while Joker takes impact. The revolution was, afterall, built on the aftermath of Joker's actions.

edit: Joker's speeches about his past left me with the impression that he'd went to the Law for assistance and was either beaten/punished by corrupt cops or handed over to the gangster pulling the Law's strings.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #14
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
I was more into Bane's desire to prove himself superior to Ra's Al Ghul and the Batman.
This idea is usually lost when people do complain over Bane trying to fulfill Ra's al Ghul's destiny or the LoS even being involved again. Bane is trying to accomplish something Ra's never did and try to succeed in something the hopeful new leader of LoS(Bruce) never did, which is to be the successor of the LoS.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
Travesty
TEOL

If you had a category called "which one sounded more like Sean Connery in a gas mask", then that would be the only one Bane would win.

Joker all the way.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
Omegabat
Side-Kick

Motivation:
Bane
(what kind of motivation is blowing up everything for no reason at all?).I know a lot of Batman fans crap on Hush(rightfully) and some other villains for bizarre motivations but at it's core Joker's motivation is simply stupid,saved only by good execution.

Characterization:
Joker(Ledgers performance is magical).

Impact:
Joker again.

Skills:
Bane easy,the OP is'nt asking how each of them got said skills,Bane's training puts him above the Joker.

Omegabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
batbax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
If you had a category called "which one sounded more like Sean Connery in a gas mask", then that would be the only one Bane would win.

Joker all the way.
Oh you. Sean Connery. Howd you come up w that??!?! Laugh riot. Ha ha.

batbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
Fudgie
Banned User

Joker ftw.

Motive; Joker wants to break Gotham's soul, bring in a better class of criminal, and exposes the morality of good people as a bad joke. Win.
Bane wants to fulfill the legacy of a guy who kicked him out of his gang, and it contradicts Ra's ideals cos Ra's only wanted to waste Gotham when it was full of crime and corruption not during a peace time. Fail.

Characterization; Joker all the way. Ledger out acted muzzle voiced Bane. Joker was his own man doing his own thing. Bane was a LOS servant doing it cos he loves Talia.

Impact; The J-Man did things to Bruce that can never be changed like killing Rachel. Ya can heal from a broken back but ya can't bring back the dead.

Skills; Joker needed no army to wreak chaos on Gotham. Give him a few drums of gas and a couple of bullets and he's got citizens rioting in the streets and the National Guard being called in. That's skill.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by batbax View Post
Oh you. Sean Connery. Howd you come up w that??!?! Laugh riot. Ha ha.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bane+sounds+like+Sean+Connery

I'm not even close to the first person to think this.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #20
batbax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bane+sounds+like+Sean+Connery

I'm not even close to the first person to think this.
...... That was my point.

batbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #21
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by batbax View Post
...... That was my point.
Team Marble Mouth FTW!!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #22
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Motivation: Bane, because Joker has no motivation. He just does things. Having a philosophy about humanity is not the same as a motivation. We don't know what makes Joker tick at the end of the day and why he is the way that he is. Bane is more human, Joker is a pure monster.

Characterization- Joker. I love Hardy's Bane so much, but Heath's Joker is probably the best "thing" in the entire trilogy.

Impact- I'll say Joker, since we know his actions had an impact on the next 8 years of Gotham. Bane's actions were on a much larger scale and far more devastating, but in terms of Bruce's story Joker probably did more psychological damage.

Skills- Bane, easy.

Overall, Joker was the perfect villain for a second film. Bane was the perfect villain for a third film, in terms of how they relate to Bruce's journey.

Warning...totally diplomatic answer incoming.

Joker was the perfect villain for a second film. Bane was the perfect villain for a third film.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 11-19-2012 at 09:44 PM.
BatLobsterRises is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #23
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Warning...totally diplomatic answer incoming.

Joker was the perfect villain for a second film. Bane was the perfect villain for a third film.
You'd think so, but there will be some who will disagree and bash on Bane's appearance in TDKR, lol.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #24
Omegabat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
You'd think so, but there will be some who will disagree and bash on Bane's appearance in TDKR, lol.
Which leads me to believe that they would have crapped on the movie regardless of Talia.

Omegabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #25
Doctor Octopus
Side-Kick

I think The Joker is a lot better than Bane in all of these categories. The Joker had a motive. He wanted to break Gotham's soul. I find that more interesting than Bane duplicating Ra's Al Ghul's work.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote