The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 11-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Default Final page of ASM 698 is now online...

Nevermind Crawlspace took it down.

Last edited by Miken Ayers; 11-20-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Miken Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Default Re: Final page of ASM 698 is now online...

Out of respect for Dan i'm not even remotely gonna click that

Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwip! View Post
Out of respect for Dan i'm not even remotely gonna click that
Out of risk for losing your respect for Dan you shouldn't.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miken Ayers View Post
Out of risk for losing your respect for Dan you shouldn't.
Apples and Oranges good sir (or miss, you could be female for all I know). It might be something you dislike but could be great for me...whatever the hell it is

Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Serial Vandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwip! View Post
Apples and Oranges good sir (or miss, you could be female for all I know). It might be something you dislike but could be great for me...whatever the hell it is
Less apples and oranges, more like Citizen Kane and Paul Blart mall cop.

Yeah, it's that stupid.

Serial Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
UltraHypnotic
Side-Kick

I allowed myself to be spoiled, and I liked it. There is a whole lot that can be done. It might even explain why OMD and BND happened.

UltraHypnotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHypnotic View Post
I allowed myself to be spoiled, and I liked it. There is a whole lot that can be done. It might even explain why OMD and BND happened.
OMD and BND happened because Joe Quesada wanted it. Marcel's done whatever they could to try and sweep it under the rug for the past five years except the on thing that would quiet the masses.

My problems with OMD and BND were of course doing away with The Other powers and bringing back Harry. Slott's explanation on why he's back was extremely sloppy, and made his return all the more stupid.

Last edited by Miken Ayers; 11-20-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Quote:
bringing back Harry. Slott's explanation on why he's back was extremely sloppy, and made his return all the more stupid.

I still don't get why people keep harping on this. They brought Harry back almost EXACTLY like they did Norman. Same backstory retcon. To me that makes more sense than leaving Harry "dead" all this time when Norman was running around alive and well...

Will Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nolte View Post
I still don't get why people keep harping on this. They brought Harry back almost EXACTLY like they did Norman. Same backstory retcon. To me that makes more sense than leaving Harry "dead" all this time when Norman was running around alive and well...
Here's why. It was Harry's variation of the Goblin formula that killed him. So why should the formula also miraculously fix him. On top of that Norman visited Harry's grave several times acknowledging he thought he was dead.

Now let's look at Slott's stupidtacular retcon on top of everything else. Norman was able to fly from the US from Europe the same night Harry keeled over, then he brought in Mysterio to clone a fake Harry corpse at the same time letting someone in on his secret to being not dead. Which brings me to my next point. Norman was pulling the Jackal's strings and orchestrated the Clone Saga. Why not just use him to clone dead Harry?

Bringing him back was stupid and needless after already resurrecting Norman and none of the in story reasoning made sense.

Last edited by Miken Ayers; 11-20-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Hey, guys, I think I have a bit of a theory. Please don't open spoils unless you've seen the released page and know what will happen in 698:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Imagine if a full brain switch was possible. You would wake up all "Freaky Friday", and realize you were not in your own body. However, you would still have your own memories and thoughts, right? You couldn't get your memories just from switching brains. Something else has to happen. Memories would have to be transplanted. So, what I think is either of this:
1. Mephisto shows up and screws with Ock and Peter's minds. This causes "Peter" to keep on living and "Ock" to die, thus fulfilling MJ's "leave him alone forevermore" thing and not bothering "Peter". We can't say for sure what would happen here since Mephisto can do virtually whatever he wants.
2. Something happened with the Octobots either in 600 or EotE. Somehow, Peter's and Ock's thinking patterns get switched. This would make it so Peter's brain has Pete's body and memories, but this new Peter thinks like Ock, and eventually theorizes that he is Ock though he is really Peter. It would be vice-versa for the Ock body: Ock body, mind, and memories, but thinks like Peter and eventually believes he is Peter, though he is still Ock.

I know it's a little hard to follow, but, just my two cents...

Wadaltmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Here's why. It was Harry's variation of the Goblin formula that killed him. So why should the formula also miraculously fix him. On top of that Norman visited Harry's grave several times acknowledging he thought he was dead.

Now let's look at Slott's stupidtacular retcon on top of everything else. Norman was able to fly from the US from Europe the same night Harry keeled over, then he brought in Mysterio to clone a fake Harry corpse at the same time letting someone in on his secret to being not dead. Which brings me to my next point. Norman was pulling the Jackal's strings and orchestrated the Clone Saga. Why not just use him to clone dead Harry?

Bringing him back was stupid and needless after already resurrecting Norman and none of the in story reasoning made sense.
I don't see why Harry couldn't have survived. The variation of the Goblin formula may have killed him, but I don't see a good argument against why it couldn't have also saved him (which I think is fair game if you're willing to buy into a formula giving you healing powers anyway).

The other things you mention are through years of Spider-man stories which have been through many different writers. It's a long running comic book and there will always been inconsistencies because of that. I think it's a little much to hope that everything added should make line up with everything before it. Personally I think that many comics written nowadays almost expect us to 'head cannon' certain things when reading them even without actual retcons. I for one refuse to believe that Wolverine can regenerate from just his skeleton alone, because that's inconsistent with most of the comics I've read that feature him.

Now I'm not saying that the in-comic explanation is great or anything like that, just that it's hardly going to line up with decades odd worth of storytelling through various writers.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
THUNDERSTRIKE
YOU THINK THIS IS EASY?!?

oh crap... I JUST saw the final pages of ASM #698... DAAAMN...

Absence makes the heart grow even fonder that you finally ARE.
THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

I read the entire issue and it is fantastic. I don't know why everyone is saying this is so horrible. This whole twist is done in such a creepy and disturbing way and I salute Dan Slott for having the balls to do it.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post
I read the entire issue and it is fantastic. I don't know why everyone is saying this is so horrible. This whole twist is done in such a creepy and disturbing way and I salute Dan Slott for having the balls to do it.
People saw this coming for months so I don't see why his genitals deserves your admiration.

Last edited by Miken Ayers; 11-20-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
People saw this coming for months so I don't see why his genitals deserves your admiration.
And Dan STILL managed to make it shocking that it actually happened. THAT's why it's such a good issue. The whole build-up to the reveal, it was intense.

And the fact that people were so convinced that it was going to happen in this issue, when in fact Dan pulls a "I did it 35 minutes ago." on us and it's been under our noses for months.

I'm actually guessing the people who are saying this is so stupid didn't even read the issue, or any recent issues at all for that matter, and are just basing their thoughts on a single page or an outline.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
THUNDERSTRIKE
YOU THINK THIS IS EASY?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post

key words being...

Absence makes the heart grow even fonder that you finally ARE.
THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Serial Vandal

Lol, anyone that actually likes this is one of the reasons Marvel sucks so much these days. This is the literary equivalent of being entertained by jingling keys.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial Vandal View Post
Lol, anyone that actually likes this is one of the reasons Marvel sucks so much these days. This is the literary equivalent of being entertained by jingling keys.
"I only read mature comics for mature readers, such as myself."
~You

Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

This is not half as bad as you guys are saying. I like it. Its an interesting twist. Its not like it hasnt been done before though. But its still pretty neat

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 8/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10
Quasimod0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
This is not half as bad as you guys are saying. I like it. Its an interesting twist. Its not like it hasnt been done before though. But its still pretty neat
Now'a the time to focus on getting people to stop trashing Spider-Man because of OMD. Not making people forget about it by doing something else surely to piss more people off.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #21
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

So which of you called it first, I forget?

Also when dan slott said this was going to be something never done before I think he meant I'm going to use the same idea the red skull has been trying like hundreds of times but using different people!

That said I'll pick up superior 1, I like the new spider-man as a character in pretty much everything he's been in.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
moraldeficiency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Its nowhere near as ridiculous or maddening as OMD. That was erasing history. This is standard super-villain fare

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 8/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10
Old 11-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #23
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Its nowhere near as ridiculous or maddening as OMD. That was erasing history. This is standard super-villain fare
Standard fare that they claim is new and exciting. I wasn't comparing its horribleness to OMD simply stating this is probably going to get more hate mail than fruit baskets.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
Serial Vandal

Good to know Spider-Man fans have such low expectations.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Maybe youre right. Seems that its more " meh" than it is " aarrgghh" though.