The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Default The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

I know this film has a release date. I know Josh Trank is attached to direct. I know they may be knee-deep in pre-production right now.

But I, and many others, still hold out hope that Fox will fumble the production of this film somehow and will end up letting the rights revert back to Marvel so the First Family of Marvel can finally be included in the MCU.

This is a thread for those that choose to keep hope alive!

ゴジラ
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

Fox isn't going to let the rights go back to Marvel, at least not for a very long time. There is a bigger chance of Spider-Man returning to Marvel after his current trilogy is complete.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Fox isn't going to let the rights go back to Marvel, at least not for a very long time. There is a bigger chance of Spider-Man returning to Marvel after his current trilogy is complete.
Rofl. Sorry, no. This Foxtastic Four movie won't happen and I can almost guarantee that.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I really did think that Fox was going to let the rights lapse and send it back or sell it back to Marvel.

Very surprised that that didn't happen.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I really did think that Fox was going to let the rights lapse and send it back or sell it back to Marvel.

Very surprised that that didn't happen.
There's still time, and I would be suprised if a deal of some kind isn't made before 2015. Fox asking the general public to support two Marvel super-hero team up films within 56 days is crazy - regardless of quality, the reboot has to be moved. And while the first two films were just modest earners, Marvel needs the FF family of characters to continue the studios success into Phase 3 & 4.

There should be a great deal of incentive for both parties to come to a mutually satisfactory agreement regarding co-financing, rights reversion, merchandising, promotion, etc. I still think it will happen.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #6
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
There's still time, and I would be suprised if a deal of some kind isn't made before 2015. Fox asking the general public to support two Marvel super-hero team up films within 56 days is crazy - regardless of quality, the reboot has to be moved. And while the first two films were just modest earners, Marvel needs the FF family of characters to continue the studios success into Phase 3 & 4.
I disagree. Marvel just put out an Avengers movie that took in over a billion dollars in revenue without the FF anywhere near it.

They don't need the FF to carry on with their current plans.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStacy View Post
I disagree. Marvel just put out an Avengers movie that took in over a billion dollars in revenue without the FF anywhere near it.

They don't need the FF to carry on with their current plans.
Need is too strong a word. But as with investing, the past successes of the MCU does not guarantee that the good times will continue. The MCU is riding high now, but future franchises like GOTG and Ant Man could underperform in comparison to their Phase 1 counterparts. I would suspect Disney/Marvel would welcome a solid if unspectacular franchise like the FF.

And just think of the on-screen battles that the FF rights reversion would open up - Thing vs. Hulk, Surfer vs. Thor, Dr. Doom vs the Avengers, Galactus vs. everybody. You would open up a whole new world of stories for Feige & company to explore, so hopefully Fox & Disney/Marvel will realize both companies will be better off working together than as adversaries.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

I've given up on the crazy hope that Marvel would get the rights (snowball's chance in hell) and shifted to the crazy hope that Fox will learn from their past mistakes, hire the right people and invest what's needed to do it right (snowball's chance in Phoenix).

Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Need is too strong a word. But as with investing, the past successes of the MCU does not guarantee that the good times will continue. The MCU is riding high now, but future franchises like GOTG and Ant Man could underperform in comparison to their Phase 1 counterparts. I would suspect Disney/Marvel would welcome a solid if unspectacular franchise like the FF.

And just think of the on-screen battles that the FF rights reversion would open up - Thing vs. Hulk, Surfer vs. Thor, Dr. Doom vs the Avengers, Galactus vs. everybody. You would open up a whole new world of stories for Feige & company to explore, so hopefully Fox & Disney/Marvel will realize both companies will be better off working together than as adversaries.
It wouldn't surprise me if these films fell short of Cap and Thor at the B.O., so I highly doubt Marvel would be either. Falling short would not make them disappointments (if the films are good and can build on the fanbase). It's all about the long term vision with these guys, the overall fabric of the universe. They are builders and certainly don't seem like visionless bean counters who would quickly alter strategy after disappointment (unless it was colossal). It would have been much more likey to happen as the indy studio back in '08 and not the current studio who are backed by the worlds biggest entertainment company. The MCU will only get bigger and better in the coming years and I really don't see how the good times will discontinue unless they lose the plot completely. In other words, people will lose interest in the genre only if it becomes stagnant creatively. There hasn't been a studio in existence that hasn't had a disappointment, it's just the law of averages. And there have definitely been some growing pains over the last 5 years for Marvel Studios, but I think (and HOPE) that as the universe takes greater shape in the coming years, that individual expression (vision) will take greater priority over the current Marvel mold that these films are being fit into (which is obviously necessary to build a proper and legitimate universe). So in the mean time I am more then happy that Spidey, X-Men and FF are at their respective studios.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 01-25-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

We should have called this the Fantastic Forum.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I still have hope is some way somehow Marvel will get the FF rights back...somehow. I for one really thought they were going to get the rights back.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Well, that is definitely something that I'm hoping for...I'm not sure that I can trust Fox with this again. I am more than happy to give it a go...but I would much rather it be with Marvel.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

It's too late now, but a good release date would've been 4/4/14 which is Cap's release date. Fox wouldn't put it up against that unless they were superconfident. There's no way Fox could be ready for that time next year though.

I'd rather they go back to Marvel though. They seem like they should be a Disney franchise more than the Avengers.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
spideymouse
Side-Kick

It's kind of a quandary--If the rights stay with Fox, we get a movie in just over two years, but it's a movie that could be awesome but very well could be mediocre. If the rights revert, that means a longer wait until the next FF movie, but it's a movie that will likely be awesome, and will be part of the MCU! So I'm kind of torn.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
It's kind of a quandary--If the rights stay with Fox, we get a movie in just over two years, but it's a movie that could be awesome but very well could be mediocre. If the rights revert, that means a longer wait until the next FF movie, but it's a movie that will likely be awesome, and will be part of the MCU! So I'm kind of torn.
So it's a choice between swift, crushing dissapointment...or a long period of sweet anticipation followed by glorious cinematic enjoyment.

For me, the choice is easy...

ゴジラ
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
So it's a choice between swift, crushing dissapointment...or a long period of sweet anticipation followed by glorious cinematic enjoyment.

For me, the choice is easy...
Or a choice between swift crushing disappointment, or long torturous disappointment.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Or a choice between swift crushing disappointment, or long torturous disappointment.
Marvel would NEVER botch a FF film the way Fox has. They've proven their love and respect for these characters (and the fans) over the course of 6 films, and it's obvious that they will continue to do so.

If you honestly feel that Fox could do as good a job (or better) than Marvel Studios with ANY of Marvel's properties, let alone just the FF, then you're letting your impatience for a new FF film cloud your judgement...

ゴジラ
Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #18
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Marvel would NEVER botch a FF film the way Fox has. They've proven their love and respect for these characters (and the fans) over the course of 6 films, and it's obvious that they will continue to do so.

If you honestly feel that Fox could do as good a job (or better) than Marvel Studios with ANY of Marvel's properties, let alone just the FF, then you're letting your impatience for a new FF film cloud your judgement...
It's true. You are right. That being said, Fox has a couple things going for them.

They know how NOT to do a FF movie. As they have already done it twice. They did, after all, choose to do a reboot and not a sequel.

And apparently, they are looking to make an exploratory fantasy rather than try competing with the two other superhero team-ups released that summer for universal salvation.

While these things don't guarantee a good movie, at least they do not guarantee another let down. We'll have to wait and see.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Iron man 2, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk disagree. Of course, that's my own personal opinion, but I don't like any of those movies.

Quote:
Why can't they?

Old 07-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:

Marvel really screwed up with Iron Man 2 & 3. The Incredible Hulk was nothing special. Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger were both mediocre IMO, and only existed so that those characters could be introduced for the Avengers movie.

Believe it or not, Marvel Studios is not perfect and is flawed. HOWEVER, I do believe that they would do a much better job than FOX, hands down.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Which characters from the FF universe does FOX have the right to use?
I know they have Doom, Galactus, the Silver Surfer, the Super Skrull and the FF. MARVEL has the Inhumans. What other characters might be in an FF movie?

Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
YoungPrime
Banned User

Keep hope alive!

The FF franchise has too many supporting characters that FOX will never utilize or use correctly to justify them holding on to this franchise. I wanted this to revert back to Marvel more than Daredevil.

Plus it would really open the door to a Cosmic Marvel universe that Marvel has proven to have interest in. A Silver Surfer film done by FOX would be extremely limited considering that Thanos is one of his greatest foes. Hell, other than earth and Zenn- La 90% of the worlds he'd encounter would be made up.

As for the director, it just frustrates me that with all the tittles that Trank has been rumored to be in talks with, he'd settle for this one under the circumstances. Mind you I have nothing against Trank. I liked Chronicle and wouldn't mind Trank coming aboard if Marvel was to regain the rights. It just frustrates me that with all the tittles to films that Trank has been rumored to be in talks with, he'd settle for this one under the circumstances.

Not that this would stop FOX if they are hell bent on retaining this franchise. And with the deadline being so close it sounds like that's what they might be doing if only to be d!*ks about the situation.

I don't see this reboot bringing in a lot of money for them in March of 2015 either way.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Now that Avengers made 1.5 BILLION and is the third highest grossing movie of all time Fox realizes any major superhero team is a potential goldmine.

So they will hold on tight to the rights. The only way they'll let go is if their Fantastic Four reboot bombs and it won't bomb because Fox is taking the production seriously this time.

I would love if the Fantastic Four universe could merge with Avengers back at Disney but it seems unlikely.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #24
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
So they will hold on tight to the rights. The only way they'll let go is if their Fantastic Four reboot bombs and it won't bomb because Fox is taking the production seriously this time.
A huge problem for the reboot is that there is just 56 days separating the FF and Avengers 2 release dates. 56 days! The Avengers sequel hype, bolsted by 4 additional films, will be in full swing after January 1st. Disney/Marvel can spend freely on advertising, knowing that the money fountain will be flowing in May. And stores will be stuffed with Avengers 2 merchandise from Black Friday onward. Fox can't spend nearly as much on advertising for the risky FF reboot and Disney/Marvel will likely keep stores free of any associated FF merchandise - no Thing hands or stretchable Mr. Fantastics this time around.

Additionally, it will be a struggle for many of us with a girlfriend/ boyfriend/spouse/life partner that does not post on Superherohype to see two Marvel superhero team films in less than two months time. With children, work schedules and other commitments, one of the two will likely be seen for the first time as a rental or On-Demand. And it won't be the Avengers sequel.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #25
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
FOX can't even do Spider-man numbers let alone dream of doing what Marvel has.

Plus there's too many "Fanboys" as the FOX lovers like to calls us that are against this film being rebooted by FOX.

The GA couldn't care less about Fantastic Four for the most part. And with the fandom so divided at this point, the best that FOX can hope for is to break even.

Closed Thread