The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 01-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
GoblinScrier
Side-Kick

Default "I am Doom...What Gods Dare Stand Against Me"---The official Dr. Doom Thread

First off, this is awesome to see this thread back...I had such fun interacting with everyone (despite the outcome of the 2 movies)...

With that said, hopefully the old adage holds true...third times a charm and we will get an incredible F4 movie.

Now with that out of the way, let us start with the ultimate villain in all of comicdom, Dr. Victor Von Doom aka Dr. Doom.

We know that he was in the other 2 movies but c'mon...that was embarrassing as it could be...with that said, I think whether Doom appears in movie 1 or 2, it matters not...I think its safe to say the following criteria MUST be done in order to have a competent, memorable Doom on the big screen that could even scare Thanos

*Born a gypsy
*Homeland is Latveria/Ruler of Latveria/Castle
*Mix or science and sorcery
*Devotion to mother
*Absolute hatred of Richards
*Comic book classic look (the whole thing)
*Booming voice, with accent or at least hint of accent
*Robotic army
*Bonus if they give him faithful Boris as his assistant
*Truly believes his vision for the world is best
*Show his ambitious nature of wanting to conquer Earth/universe

As for who plays him, if we get brief glimpses of him back in college as Victor, then come up with an actor who will pull that off.

Once in the armor, DON'T remove it UNLESS, we are to see his face covered in shadows with hints of how deeply scarred he is...

I think the voice/presence is KEY to Doom's success...Bill Nighy (Viktor from Underworld, Davy Jones from Pirates 2/3) would be IDEAL...perhaps someone else??? Suggestions???

Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey

Default Re: "I am Doom...What Gods Dare Stand Against Me"---The official Dr. Doom Thread

I love Bill Nighy, his roles as Davy Jones and Viktor made them into some of my favorite villains on film. Hes so good at playing awesome bad guys.

Dr. Doom is one of the greatest if not THE greatest and coolest villain in the Marvel universe, I think Nighy could him justice voice/presence wise.

A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Doc Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
YoungPrime
Banned User

Default Re: "I am Doom...What Gods Dare Stand Against Me"---The official Dr. Doom Thread

As a child, Dr Doom always bored me.

It wasn't until I read Secret Wars that I started to enjoy Doom and his arrogant ways.

Now he's one of my top 5 comic villains and one the major reasons he deserves recognition in the MCU.

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

Of course GS would make our Dr. Doom thread...lol

Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
GoblinScrier
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Of course GS would make our Dr. Doom thread...lol
Ha! LOL...It was my pleasure Kelly

I am just glad our Forum is back and we get to debate once again...and as for Doom...well either me or IronMaiden would have been the ones to do the Doom forum I am sure...

Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Oh Dr. Doom.... How do we do you correctly in film?

I say start with a Eastern European actor and go from there.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Oh Dr. Doom.... How do we do you correctly in film?

I say start with a Eastern European actor and go from there.
Um, acting means you should be able to "act" like you are from Eastern Europe. Why would they need to get an Eastern European actor?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Here Is first thing no corporate businessman.In 2005 he was portrayed as Norman Osborn wannabee.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Nebojsa Glogovac as Victor von Doom

Old 01-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

I've always thought Paul Bettany would make a great Doom. A terrific actor whose work portrays a great intelligence and who can also be menacing. It's also a bonus that he's 6' 3. This guy is like a chameleon.

If they went for someone in their 60's like Bill Nighy, then Jeremy Irons would definitely fit the bill.

SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #11
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinScrier View Post
First off, this is awesome to see this thread back...I had such fun interacting with everyone (despite the outcome of the 2 movies)...

With that said, hopefully the old adage holds true...third times a charm and we will get an incredible F4 movie.

Now with that out of the way, let us start with the ultimate villain in all of comicdom, Dr. Victor Von Doom aka Dr. Doom.

We know that he was in the other 2 movies but c'mon...that was embarrassing as it could be...with that said, I think whether Doom appears in movie 1 or 2, it matters not...I think its safe to say the following criteria MUST be done in order to have a competent, memorable Doom on the big screen that could even scare Thanos

*Born a gypsy
*Homeland is Latveria/Ruler of Latveria/Castle
*Mix or science and sorcery
*Devotion to mother
*Absolute hatred of Richards
*Comic book classic look (the whole thing)
*Booming voice, with accent or at least hint of accent
*Robotic army
*Bonus if they give him faithful Boris as his assistant
*Truly believes his vision for the world is best
*Show his ambitious nature of wanting to conquer Earth/universe

As for who plays him, if we get brief glimpses of him back in college as Victor, then come up with an actor who will pull that off.

Once in the armor, DON'T remove it UNLESS, we are to see his face covered in shadows with hints of how deeply scarred he is...

I think the voice/presence is KEY to Doom's success...Bill Nighy (Viktor from Underworld, Davy Jones from Pirates 2/3) would be IDEAL...perhaps someone else??? Suggestions???

I agree with everything you said about Doom's origins and look. If they let Doom be Doom, he can be one of the greatest villains in film just as he is in comic books. There are so many facets to Doom's personality and motivations that are just begging to be explored. His relationship with Reed is essential in defining who both men are and how they came to be. The first series neglected to flesh out that relationship and give depth to both characters.

It's too damn bad that Fassbender is already playing Magneto because he would have made a great Doom. Alan Rickman might be a great voice actor for the role, even if he's not up to it physically. I could easily envision Doom affecting a British accent, only to lapse into his native Latverian accent when angry or stressed. Doom styles himself a European monarch, despite his impoverished beginnings, so putting on airs and accents wouldn't be out of the question for him.

xeno000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Of course I expect the FF reboot to have Doom in it - eventually - but PLEASE not in the first one! Even the Amazing Spider-Man is saving Goblin for part 2...!

The FF's world is much bigger than being limited to one villain in every movie. Bond has had different villains, Spidey has, why not the FF?

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 AM   #13
Silvermoth
Avenger

I want them to really run with Doom's origins as a Communist allegoryby slotting in a Latverian propoganda video similar to this but serious...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Even if it was part of viral marketing, that's what I would want when they introduce Doom.

And for them to get a theatrical stage performer for the role like Anthony Warlow. Epic.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
I want them to really run with Doom's origins as a Communist allegoryby slotting in a Latverian propoganda video similar to this but serious...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Even if it was part of viral marketing, that's what I would want when they introduce Doom.

And for them to get a theatrical stage performer for the role like Anthony Warlow. Epic.

Doom isn't actually a Communist allegory, IMO. He is a fascist dictator who surrounds himself with the trappings of European monarchy, in part to assert his legitimacy as a ruler. Communism, in contrast, is a distinctly anti-monarchical movement. Doom is an authoritarian ruler who does not allow the people of Latveria even the illusion of participating in governance, whereas Communist regimes do so by staging elections in which only one party runs. His is absolute rule, with a thin veneer of paternalistic concern for his oppressed subjects. There is no communal ownership of property and equitable distribution of wealth in Latveria. Doom alone makes the laws of that society and owns the land, the resources and even the lives of its citizens.

If Doom ever stooped to creating propaganda, its goal would be to make him look like the benevolent ruler of a peaceful and prosperous land. He desires legitimacy in the eyes of the international community only because that would further his goal of world domination. Doom might hire documentary filmmakers to produce a hagiographic account of his life and rise to power, but never some ridiculous musical piece extolling his (or Latveria's) virtues. Many things are beneath Doom; acting like Borat would be high on the list.

xeno000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

"Um" i dont know, for the sake of authenticity? Perhaps because a foreign actor like Glogovac wouldnt be so vain as to have his mask off for 90% of the film? Or maybe just because its my opinion... yeah. That must be it.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
"Um" i dont know, for the sake of authenticity? Perhaps because a foreign actor like Glogovac wouldnt be so vain as to have his mask off for 90% of the film? Or maybe just because its my opinion... yeah. That must be it.
Now, you are back pedaling (changed from Eastern European to foreign)....if the person is from Europe, US whatever, doesn't matter to me, if they can play the part, they can be alien for all I care, I was just looking at the whole "Eastern Europe" specific thing....

So, they need to get a European actor because that is your opinion?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

I'm sort of new to Doctor Doom. So my question is are his people happy under his rule? I know he is a dictator and if I'm not mistaken he has an embassy in New York. I have been doing a lot of research on Doom recently due to the fact my friend says anyone short of Reed Richards is sorely outgunned in terms of intellect. He says people like Tony Stark , Banner, Hank Pymm and others are not quite Dooms equal in terms of overall smarts. Is he right?

TDK elbowstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #18
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
I'm sort of new to Doctor Doom. So my question is are his people happy under his rule? I know he is a dictator and if I'm not mistaken he has an embassy in New York. I have been doing a lot of research on Doom recently due to the fact my friend says anyone short of Reed Richards is sorely outgunned in terms of intellect. He says people like Tony Stark , Banner, Hank Pymm and others are not quite Dooms equal in terms of overall smarts. Is he right?
Doom is probably the most dangerous and most intelligent character in the Marvel universe IMO.

A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Doc Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Doom isn't actually a Communist allegory, IMO. He is a fascist dictator who surrounds himself with the trappings of European monarchy, in part to assert his legitimacy as a ruler. Communism, in contrast, is a distinctly anti-monarchical movement. Doom is an authoritarian ruler who does not allow the people of Latveria even the illusion of participating in governance, whereas Communist regimes do so by staging elections in which only one party runs. His is absolute rule, with a thin veneer of paternalistic concern for his oppressed subjects. There is no communal ownership of property and equitable distribution of wealth in Latveria. Doom alone makes the laws of that society and owns the land, the resources and even the lives of its citizens.

If Doom ever stooped to creating propaganda, its goal would be to make him look like the benevolent ruler of a peaceful and prosperous land. He desires legitimacy in the eyes of the international community only because that would further his goal of world domination. Doom might hire documentary filmmakers to produce a hagiographic account of his life and rise to power, but never some ridiculous musical piece extolling his (or Latveria's) virtues. Many things are beneath Doom; acting like Borat would be high on the list.
Right, people shouldnt mistake Communism as a synonym for Dictatorship. And, in fact, the two don't tend to coexist very harmoniously. Communist regimes "have" staged elections in the way you described, but that does not mean they must or even that they should to be prosperous (if its even possible).

There are many, many, MANY Marvel villains that could be considered Communist allegories (more specifically, Red Scare allegories), but Doom would definitely fall under a different category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
See above. Doom is respected by many, feared by all. I would say his people are submissive, some possibly even content, but I highly doubt they are happy.

I think Reed is indeed his equal intellectually. Probably not tactically or politically and definitely not as physically powerful. Pym/Banner/Stark arent as intelligent as Reed or Doom.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #20
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Right, people shouldnt mistake Communism as a synonym for Dictatorship. And, in fact, the two don't tend to coexist very harmoniously. Communist regimes "have" staged elections in the way you described, but that does not mean they must or even that they should to be prosperous (if its even possible).
Come now. Read Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's original run. It's fairly obvious Doom is a cold war metaphor for Eastern bloc dictators (who were Communist).

Of course, it's not a big deal either way. As long as they show him as a dictator and an arrogant power hungry nut, that's what's important.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #21
GoblinScrier
Side-Kick

There are so many money shots they could have for Doom:

I always pictured a great scene of him standing atop the castle turrets and looking over Doomstadt (for those who don't know, the capital of Latveria), and seeing his citizens going about their "ordinary" lives, and directly below, his robot army marching, knowing that if the citizens or robots mess up, it could cost them their lives...

The other would be a great shot of him invading the United Nations, demanding the immediate surrender of the planet to him...

I think shots like this would probably have me die in my seat lol

Old 01-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Mads Mikkelsen might not be bad for Doom. He's 47, has already played a Bond villain and is European at least (Danish). He's also playing Hannibal Lecter in a new TV series.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Mads Mikkelsen might not be bad for Doom. He's 47, has already played a Bond villain and is European at least (Danish). He's also playing Hannibal Lecter in a new TV series.

I like that idea. They previously looked at him for malekith. Hed prolly do it.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #24
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

Yeah, I could go with that idea....

Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

Quote:

I love the idea of Mads,but honestly,unless it's an unknown,we'll just have his mask on for 10 minutes per movie like the last films.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote