The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately and I just wondered ignoring the Dark Knight Strikes Again and All Star Batman & Robin (which don't think even felt like the same world as the Dark Knight Returns_ if you were to write a prequel, sequel or a spin off what would it be (or even an animated version as a sequel or prequel to the animated films)?

I have to admit I'd love to find out what happened to Olivers arm, why are Superheroes banned, why does Superman only work for his country now? Did Lois die? Etc

Would just love to know what everyone has in their mind as a sequel, prequel or even a spin off?

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Spider-Kurt!
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off

These topics could make a great Justice League direct to video animated feature as opposed specifically a Batman one in my opinion. This way several members get the spotlight,namely Superman,Wonder Woman,Green Arrow,Green Lantern and Batman. I haven't read the Dark Knught Strikes Again but I know Flash and Atom are in it.Does that story touch on how the disbandoning of the League effected them?

Romans 8:19
Spider-Kurt! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Kurt! View Post
These topics could make a great Justice League direct to video animated feature as opposed specifically a Batman one in my opinion. This way several members get the spotlight,namely Superman,Wonder Woman,Green Arrow,Green Lantern and Batman. I haven't read the Dark Knught Strikes Again but I know Flash and Atom are in it.Does that story touch on how the disbandoning of the League effected them?
Not really, Strikes Again I think was just Milkers attempts to shock the audience but in the story he totally alienates many characters. Hence why I'd love if someone else came in and did a sequel or prequel kind if like the Before Watchmen stuff.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Question Re: The Dark Knight Returns - if you were to do a sequel/prequel/spin off

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I have to admit I'd love to find out what happened to Olivers arm, why are Superheroes banned, why does Superman only work for his country now? Did Lois die? Etc
Ermm... Weren't all of those questions pretty much answered by both Miller-penned tales?

I was under the impression that Superman was responsible for Oliver's arm (and thus the reason for Oliver wanting a piece of him). I think Superman had a hand in that play of power (ie. forcing heroes to retire).

Superheroes were clearly banned by the government because of Batman's actions... "Of course we're criminals, we have to be"... Also, it seems Luthor had a hand in that (if you read DK Strikes Again).

Lois didn't die, she married the Guardian. Or at least Miller inferred that when we see a young-ish reporter named "Lana Harper-Lane."

Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
Ermm... Weren't all of those questions pretty much answered by both Miller-penned tales?

I was under the impression that Superman was responsible for Oliver's arm (and thus the reason for Oliver wanting a piece of him). I think Superman had a hand in that play of power (ie. forcing heroes to retire).

Superheroes were clearly banned by the government because of Batman's actions... "Of course we're criminals, we have to be"... Also, it seems Luthor had a hand in that (if you read DK Strikes Again).

Lois didn't die, she married the Guardian. Or at least Miller inferred that when we see a young-ish reporter named "Lana Harper-Lane."
But what exactly happened to Oliver's arm? Why was Superman responsible for him losing it.

Well to be fair I would like a new sequel because I wasn't satisfied at all with Strikes again and a prequel would be nice. It's just my opinion but I've even thought about doing my own prequel comic.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
But what exactly happened to Oliver's arm? Why was Superman responsible for him losing it.
I mean if I had to guess, I'd say Superman ripped his damn arm off. I mean, it was Oliver's real weapon wasn't it? I was always under the impression that Superman was partly responsible for the suppression of the other heroes. I think Oliver (knowing his attitude) probably refused to back down, and Superman did what he had to do.

Honestly though? Not knowing the exact details of everything makes the story a bit more intriguing, I find.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 AM   #7
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
I mean if I had to guess, I'd say Superman ripped his damn arm off. I mean, it was Oliver's real weapon wasn't it? I was always under the impression that Superman was partly responsible for the suppression of the other heroes. I think Oliver (knowing his attitude) probably refused to back down, and Superman did what he had to do.

Honestly though? Not knowing the exact details of everything makes the story a bit more intriguing, I find.
Yeah we'll I'd hope he didn't quite rip his arm off. I always think what if the Justice League were fighting a villain and Jason Todd died in an explosion and Oliver's arm could've been trapped as he was trying to get to Jason who could've been under a building that's gonna blow up or something and Superman severs his arm to save him but Ollie wanted to save Jason and that's why he hates Superman. This is just an idea I've been toying with.

No I get that, I guess it cones down to the imagination thing, nothing's ever as good or as scary in some cases as what you can think up in your mind. I agree it's nice not knowing sometimes.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

^I think you could very well write it in a manner that "Superman had good intentions" with Oliver but it would undermine was Miller's already done. I think the undertones and the insinuation (and the dialogue from Oliver in Dark Knight Returns) implies that this it didn't happen that way. I think it's safe to assume that Superman, being the puppet that he's become, did what he had to do.

It's much like the fight between Superman and Batman at the end issue #4... Superman doesn't really want to fight, and he doesn't even begin to try and hurt Batman until he's pushed. I think the same would've happened with Oliver, and I'd imagine Ollie was antagonizing him... whatever the situation might've been... maybe Superman was there to force Queen into retirement like the others, and Oliver took to kickin Superman's ass. He wasn't going to back down.

Also I think your bit about Jason Todd is also one of those things that's more interesting in that it's not shown. As you said, let your imagination go with it. I think (knowing what came later in the real DCU concerning Todd's fate) it's more fun to just assume that the Joker killed him.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Might try that thanks for the heads up

Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

^You're very welcome, all the best