The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Visceral
Side-Kick

Default How would you make Superman Relevant?

I have been contemplating my love for this character ever since I saw the trailer for Man of Steel.

I grew up on Christopher Reeve a true superman in his own right. I read the comics for awhile, and after reading the great ones, I finally stopped reading the periodical. I liked the definitive versions, Loeb, Jurgens, Waid, Millar.
And I know that people hated it but For Tomorrow. For Tomorrow had a Matrix like vibe and I always thought Neo was a philosophical adult version of Superman. Sort of like Moore's Manhattan or Miracleman or Miller's DKR version. Sort of a meditation on what it means to have superpowers.

Superman was the first superhero, all other heroes are just shades of him, even Batman. People don't like him though, they all say they can't relate to him, every writer that comes onto superman tries desperately to make him relateable, some to glorious failure aka Superman Returns.

I am currently writing about what I think makes Superman relevant. But before I post that I want to know. In an age where 20 percent of Americans don't believe that we landed on the moon, I want to know what do you think will allow people to believe a man can fly?

I need to know that every single one of you would die for the man next to him.
Visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Default Re: How would you make Superman Relevant?

You need to put aside the relatability factor. Go to the basics. Superman is basically a figure to aspire to be, someone who sets up the example. Superman inspires humanity to be better. I believe that the best Superman stories revolve around that factor. These are universal concepts that are relevant anywhere, anytime. You just need the sensibility to showcase how great Superman is.

Somebody posted this on another thread, I think it fits.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
You need to put aside the relatability factor. Go to the basics. Superman is basically a figure to aspire to be, someone who sets up the example. Superman inspires humanity to be better. I believe that the best Superman stories revolve around that factor. These are universal concepts that are relevant anywhere, anytime. You just need the sensibility to showcase how great Superman is.

That just might be the greatest Superman moment of all-time, it captures exactly what I love about the character.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
That just might be the greatest Superman moment of all-time, it captures exactly what I love about the character.
I agree. I saw the image before reading All Star Superman, and about little more than a year I decided to read the full series. I was really moved, I thought that this particular issue speaks volumes about Superman and his mission.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:

Like the "your doctor really did get help up" part, but would be better if it wasn't followed by a couple platitudes.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

-Black suit
-No Flying
-Fighting a giant spider

Uroboric Forms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Personally I wouldn't worry about making him relevant so much as I would probably focus on making him necessary. Meaning, showing how screwed up such a world have to be that it would have need of a guy like him to pick up the slack when all else fails.

http://jochimus.deviantart.com
Jochimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Anubis
Sup?

He should totally kill a buncha people too.......and giant spiders.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
The Guard
Side-Kick

Exactly what the filmmakers for MAN OF STEEL are doing. Explore the concept of something like Superman showing up in the world...like the comics have done to make Superman relevant for years and years.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Oh, he's relevant. How can he not be? Being perhaps the simplest, most elemental superhero of them all, he corresponds to that messiah concept that others don't. Spidey is about wish fulfillment and seing the underdog win, Batman is about balancing light and darkness, etc. Superman is about "Wouldn't it be great if someone had the power to do good and he DID it?" It's an immortal question. He's the most relevant superhero of all, if you ask me.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Exactly what the filmmakers for MAN OF STEEL are doing. Explore the concept of something like Superman showing up in the world...like the comics have done to make Superman relevant for years and years.
I'm getting very good vibes about that film. So far the teasers and the images have given me a lot of hope, lets see how it does.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
SuperFerret
This guy

Superman IS relevant. Forcing it just makes people think he's not.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

In a nutshell:

Old 02-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

And to actually answer the question (lol) I'd put in plenty of scenes of him saving people from disasters and tragedies of the real-life type, and focus on the impact that he'd have on the world and in people's lives. That, interspersed with a bit of psychological exploration, and the reasons for why he does what he does (perhaps a deep need for connection, a need for feeling like part of the world he inhabits, like in Mark Waid's Birthright). I think that'd do it.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

make this movie....

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
Visceral
Side-Kick

I agree that he is relevant and that we shouldn't try to make him relevant as people should aspire to him. But do you guys have any ideas on how to do this.

In a weird way I kind of think that superheroes do exist, not their powers, but the personality types certainly do. Take Batman for instance, Miller and Nolan both have stated that FDR and Howard Hughes were influences.

This prompted me to watch the 1983 film the Right Stuff which centers on the Mercury 7 astronauts and Chuck Yeager. Hal Jordan is basically a rip off of Chuck Yeager, along with Jim Kirk, Han Solo, etc. Every time John Glenn shows up on screen though I couldn't stop thinking that this was a real life version of superman. sort of this Dudley do right, we need our Dudley do rights now.

Realism isn't always bad, especially when evil is a very real thing. I think that people give up sometimes, they get hurt and they stop believing in goodness, of humanity and their own. Look at TDK, people thought that was the best installment and its the one where the Joker wins, then years later Aurura. This shows me that people love darkness, because they think that this is the true nature of themselves. Martin Scorsese said that his film The Departed was about our socity post 9/11 that we were now at a moral ground zero, having lost faith in goodness.

As for Morrison that is one of his best moments, full of heart but not much brains. Sort of like the conflict between Superman and Lex. The thing is I truly believe that heart wins out in the end. That in the end heart is the smart move. Morrison gets that I'm not taking away anything from his writing. His method though, to remind us that superman is a character to aspire to, is to make him less real. Morrison's Superman is a modern myth, an ideology that deals regularly with the fantastic and the all the other myths of old. I get that and agree with that. Its a good interpretation of the character. I do believe that Superman is human goodness and virtue personified.

I also understand that there is no way in hell his writing is for everyone. Many people, if not most need realism. I'm not saying that I want to see sweat stains on superman's armpits, but people do need real examples of goodness before they can believe in the miraculous. Honestly, I want to bug people with superman, make them think about what is means to be a superman.

I think of Kingdom Come, What is so funny about Truth Justice and The American Way?, and Superman For All Seasons. Superman is a character that should call us out, hold a mirror to society and say "hey stupid! you are better than this!"

Now I think this is easier said than done. I am crossing my fingers for this film.

I need to know that every single one of you would die for the man next to him.
Visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
moviefreak
Side-Kick

Approximately 35% of Americans believe in UFOs and IIRC about a tenth believe that they have seen one. I even have a friend who claimed to have seen a UFO...so making Superman relevant seems counter-intuitive.

moviefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #18
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
Realism isn't always bad, especially when evil is a very real thing. I think that people give up sometimes, they get hurt and they stop believing in goodness, of humanity and their own. Look at TDK, people thought that was the best installment and its the one where the Joker wins, then years later Aurura. This shows me that people love darkness, because they think that this is the true nature of themselves. Martin Scorsese said that his film The Departed was about our socity post 9/11 that we were now at a moral ground zero, having lost faith in goodness.
The Joker didn't win, just putting it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Like the "your doctor really did get help up" part, but would be better if it wasn't followed by a couple platitudes.
The quote says "Your doctor really did get held up, Reagan" But I'm not quite sure what you mean with that.

And talking about the approach of Man of Steel. It does seem that Clark struggles with his powers, and there is a little angst in that. But I think is natural, and he progresses to be the Superman we know and love. There is so much evidence to hint that they are taking the right approach, with quoting verbatim Jor-El's speech from All Star Superman in one of the teasers, and Superman almost playful "What do you think?" at the end of the last trailer.

Why Superman seems to have a "bad reputation"? I really don't know, perhaps because most people don't know him as well as they should, I think. So the problem isn't really the character, but how is portrayed.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Joker didn't win, just putting it here.

The quote says "Your doctor really did get held up, Reagan" But I'm not quite sure what you mean with that . . .
Sorry, that was just a typo.

What I mean is that everything after that makes it sound like he's just throwing out platitudes. Takes away the sincerity.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Sorry, that was just a typo.

What I mean is that everything after that makes it sound like he's just throwing out platitudes. Takes away the sincerity.
Oh, then I disagree.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #21
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Superman will always be relevant.

Trick is making him "cool"

StarvingArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
Superman will always be relevant.

Trick is making him "cool"
This is exactly what it is, infact Snyder said we'll have to see how cool they've made him in the film.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

I know how to make Superman relevant but I can say even for a fictional character he does in a way inspire people I guess in real life to be good to others, such real life heroes like policemen, firemen do these heroic things when helping others because they feel a sense of doing what's right.

That isn't to say all cops are saints, I hate the police as much as anybody.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #24
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

He already is...

Superman is a fictional character that represents a fantasy we have about someone swooping in and saving us... from small crimes, from major natural disasters, and from our own complete incompetance as a human race.

I don't see how that is ever not going to be relevant.

The more important question is how you make Superman 'likeable'. Which I think has been the main problem.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #25
sup101
Side-Kick

Edit.

Last edited by sup101; 02-02-2013 at 11:21 PM.
sup101 is offline   Reply With Quote